What country (besides your home) do you feel the strongest affinity for and why?

Reaction score
Awards
I've had a deep connection with Japan since i was young. It's not just because I like anime, because I only started watching anime in the past year or so. I can't explain it well, but I feel called to the natural and societal beauty that Japan fosters.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2652

Nowadays, probably France. There's just something about their soft power that resonates with me. Like they were born to push art to its absolute breaking point, and makes no concessions otherwise. As someone who fancies himself as a creative that's cool as fuck. Some of my favorite contributions, to wit, include: Gaspar Noe, Fantastic Planet, Peste Noire, Yelle, and ratatouille. Gets me positively rhapsodic. I'd love to visit one of these days when I can.

Rebel

This Is War, Huh, Wow!
Reaction score
Awards
I'd say Russia. Something about the many different cultures in such a large land and the tough country image is very appealing.
Doesn't help I dated a Russian girl and those Russian girls are something else :monkaOMEGA:

Virtual Cafe Awards

reynad5150

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Thought to ask this after a brief discussion in the "where are you from" thread. You don't necessarily have to have been there either, just what country really feels good to you and why?
Hungary and Germany

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1043

Thought to ask this after a brief discussion in the "where are you from" thread. You don't necessarily have to have been there either, just what country really feels good to you and why?
I've only been to Germany so far, born and raised in the US, and I have to say I recently have fallen in love with Vietnam. The language consistently surprises me; fascinating history and, of course, high living standard given the circumstances.

phaeder

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Though I've never been, and for no apparent reason, I had a dream I was wandering the streets of Lisbon, Portugal on a lovely, sunny afternoon. A rock band was playing on a small soundstage in a cobblestone square. There was one of those triangular buildings nearby with a bright, colorful cafe on the bottom floor. Beautiful people were walking about and gathering near the band. I walked down the street and entered a large, dimly lit communal residence. There was a dingy commons with a tattered couch. The paint was off-green and pealing. At the end of the commons was a communal kitchen; the sink was overflowing with dirty dishes. Somewhere in this building was a woman I was intensely in love with, and that is why I was there. My emotions were a flood of nostalgia and yearning. The whole dream was so vivid and colorful and real that it haunts me like a real memory.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Cugel

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
My dad's side of the family is Portuguese, I used to speak a little as a kid but I don't anymore. For the most part the Portuguese are incredibly lazy and apathetic, but they're paradoxically entrepreneurial and prone to brief bouts of revolutionary spirit. Great food too even though at least half of it is just Spanish food they use a different name for and falsely claim to have invented. You gotta love an underdog

Virtual Cafe Awards