What did you do today?

aYEOEt41yr

xVbllJFFVs
Reaction score
Awards
Hello

Did you play any games? Did you find any new music? Boring work day not worth mention?

Virtual Cafe Awards

aYEOEt41yr

xVbllJFFVs
Reaction score
Awards
Took the day off work to take my car to the mechanic. Been at home doing a playthrough of Pokemon Yellow.

Probably should be doing something a bit more worthwhile with a day off but it is fun at least :)
Simplicity and rest for the mind is as worthwhile as anything in moderation

Virtual Cafe Awards

aYEOEt41yr

xVbllJFFVs
Reaction score
Awards
Getting a sort of slow start on the day, I stayed up until 5am, and then need to be at work soon. So very sleepy but I will go out and do my best and make it back home

Virtual Cafe Awards

aYEOEt41yr

xVbllJFFVs
Reaction score
Awards
Finally made it home, now processing some macs from my collection to get them in a ready state. Here's a pic of my temporary station to prepare them.

SmartSelect_20230523_185016_Photos.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
Woke up at 7, stayed in bed deliberating getting up until 7.30. Spent too much time travelling and sitting just listened to music, and staring at the work I was supposed to be doing with every fibre in my body pulsing with hatred for product design. Then a bird SHITTED on my laptop INDOORS

Virtual Cafe Awards

aYEOEt41yr

xVbllJFFVs
Reaction score
Awards
Woke up at 7, stayed in bed deliberating getting up until 7.30. Spent too much time travelling and sitting just listened to music, and staring at the work I was supposed to be doing with every fibre in my body pulsing with hatred for product design. Then a bird SHITTED on my laptop INDOORS
Chaotic morning! How exciting

Virtual Cafe Awards

aYEOEt41yr

xVbllJFFVs
Reaction score
Awards
and did a lot of yard work, i am trying to busy my mind and see as little news as possible during the elections, i am doing pretty well on that.
Sometimes the best thing that one can do is occupy themselves. Building up a too strong feeling of listlessness can allow room for anxieties and burden. Getting busy can relieve the tension. The news of the world will take place whether you glue your eyes to it or not, so I hope you are able to find rest and peace and unplug yourself from the headlines.

Virtual Cafe Awards

7Pebbles

Enemy of the Digital Panopticon
Reaction score
Awards
Hello

Did you play any games? Did you find any new music? Boring work day not worth mention?
I fixed a problem on a client's e-commerce website where people were unable to receive emails from the client about their purchase after they purchased one of the client's products.
I had recently moved some code from one place to another, and in doing so, caused some things that were expecting the code to be where it had been, to break.
I fixed it by adding a little wrapper function in place of the code that I moved, and handling a bunch of python-dictionary logic with a clever little loop that looked something like this:
Python:
class NewPlace:
    def compute_email_components(self):
        out_dict = {}
        if self.attr1:
            out_dict['type1'] = "Hello World"
        if len(self.attr2) > 0:
            out_dict['type2'] = "Foo Bar"
        if not self.attr3:
            out_dict['type3'] = "Fizz Bazz"
        return out_dict

class OldPlace:
    def wrapper_function(self):
        obj = self.lookupCorrectInstanceOfNewPlace()
        email_components = obj.compute_email_components()
        email_component = None
        for key in email_components:
            email_component = email_components.get(key,email_component)
        return email_component
Explanation formatted as "code" so I can use the "`" to indicate code:
Markdown (GitHub flavored):
The `out_dict` in the `NewPlace.compute_email_components()` method could have
a couple different `key:value` pairs in it depending on some other attributes of the `NewPlace` class.
Sometimes, `out_dict` may have multiple `key:value` pairs, in which case,
I want some to take priority over others in being returned from `OldPlace.wrapper_function()`.
Assuming that `out_dict`/`email_components` is ordered in terms of lower priority first,
the for loop will set `email_component` to the highest priority value from the dictionary that is available.
Theres details (thousands of lines of other people's code that I have to work with/around) that I'm leaving out, and I'm sure the code I've written here is buggy and slow, but you should be able to get the gist of it if you care to read it.

Its not anything groundbreaking, but it was a fun problem to think through. I'm sure that its wildly inefficient, but I'm in a context where I can afford to not optimize.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
was today and yesterday on fest made by town eevry year. 27th in row
was good, my ass hurt from standing and wiggling to music
but phone got no memory to make all the vids i wanted uh

Virtual Cafe Awards