What do you think about ghosts?

naa

What are your thoughts and theories on ghosts? Do you think they're real, and if you think they're real, do you have any theory as to what they are? Do you think hauntings or possession happen? What do you think about spirit orbs, ghost photos, etc.? Please share any thoughts or theories you have about them! I'm curious to hear your takes.

Personally I don't really have any thoughts about them, when I was a kid I hallucinated shadowy figures at night and I used to think it was ghosts but then I went to a doctor and it's not ghosts. I feel like it's pretty easy sometimes to accidentally think something is ghosts, then have it not be ghosts, but I also know a lot of people have had random outlier type experiences that are hard to explain. I'm excited to hear any thoughts you have.

here is an artist's rendition of a ghost as a visual aid
toppng.com-transparent-ghost-447x600.png

eco

adult ghosts can't exist because the roof of the spirit plane is too low and they bonk their heads trying to get here and that's why you only hear about ghost children

naa

adult ghosts can't exist because the roof of the spirit plane is too low and they bonk their heads trying to get here and that's why you only hear about ghost children
what about really, really short adult ghosts? how do we know ghost children aren't just very small adults? we don't know how big dead people were in the 1600s think about it

km777p

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
I have a theory that ghosts are actually 4th dimensional shadows because of the way they manifest and interact with their environment.
i like this theory. there are most likely various levels of spirits good and bad that exist in a multitude of dimensions and become noticed by certain people due to wavelength/vibratory affinities. if you spend your time thinking negative thoughts, like of jealousy or guilt or anger, and especially if you drink, and a negative spirit (or "ghost," whether it belongs to a departed person or maybe is something else entirely) decides it can get your attention, it just might. on the other hand, keeping your vibratory energies high and you're more likely to be favored by guardian-type spirit energies that reach down to you from higher dimensions.

eco

what about really, really short adult ghosts? how do we know ghost children aren't just very small adults? we don't know how big dead people were in the 1600s think about it
Name one really short adult ghost, poser
I bet you can't
In the 1600s bodies had their legs shaved off to be shorter in the afterlife as part of the One Manlet, All Manlet Act passed in 1586

Here are the facts
Tall ghosts don't exist
As such, ghosts can't ride most rollercoasters
Therefore, Disneyland isn't haunted

Deleted member 2040

If ghosts aren't real how come we have the Ghostbusters, eh? Gotcha!

Much like aliens, I really want to believe, but I've never had an encounter with one but knew people who had claimed they had.

naa

If ghosts aren't real how come we have the Ghostbusters, eh? Gotcha!

Much like aliens, I really want to believe, but I've never had an encounter with one but knew people who had claimed they had.
ghostbusters are for sure a psyop to cover up the giant holes being dug under old buildings so that the molepeople can use them at night

I wonder why ghost encounters seem to be the most common supernatural encounter people claim, but also seem to be the thing a lot of people are least likely to believe in, as far as supernatural stuff goes? I feel like I see people more likely to believe in bigfoot or aliens than ghosts, but I hear about way more ghost stories or encounters than anything else. Might just be me though, not sure if that experience rings true for others.

• LOL
Reactions: eco

Deleted member 2040

ghostbusters are for sure a psyop to cover up the giant holes being dug under old buildings so that the molepeople can use them at night

I wonder why ghost encounters seem to be the most common supernatural encounter people claim, but also seem to be the thing a lot of people are least likely to believe in, as far as supernatural stuff goes? I feel like I see people more likely to believe in bigfoot or aliens than ghosts, but I hear about way more ghost stories or encounters than anything else. Might just be me though, not sure if that experience rings true for others.
Alejandro Jodorowski tried to enlighten the world of the existence of the molepeople in his film El Topo (1970), but oh well....

Well what about the ghost of Hamlet's father? Old Will would never lie to us!

Aside from this, ghosts are a strange phenomenon indeed, so many cultures throughout time and the world believe in ghosts or disembodied spirits, which strikes me as rather odd, and lends a little more 'credibility' to entertaining the thoughts of them. The closest thing I've witnessed as a ghost was shortly after my dog died, when the door to my bedroom popped open just a little bit, exactly the way my dog entered countless times before, but I attributed this to grief.

I've always wanted to spend the night in a necropolis and see if I witness anything.

You are right about samsquanch! Ironically enough, my coworker walk talking about her hometown in upstate NY which is perhaps the hottest site for sasquatch sightings, and they've even got a Sasquatch society for just this.

eco

i think people in general find themselves in more situations where ghosts are a supposed possibility than say, aliens, or Bigfoot, who is only found in one sort of environment. I also think ghosts tend to be more nebulous in the forms they take in comparison and the things that they do are less specific, more every day occurrences. I think people also tend to have more of an attachment to the dead, or the idea of the dead than extraterrestrial. Really easy to say your dead aunt knocked the pan off the counter, but it's a little more out-there to say a squatch did it

I've heard a few theories and I think its possible, but don't you think if they were real, we could find out now? legends about ghosts have existed for literal thousands of years and yet we still don't have any good concrete evidence that says they are real despite people looking for answer for centuries.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: naa

eco

I've heard a few theories and I think its possible, but don't you think if they were real, we could find out now? legends about ghosts have existed for literal thousands of years and yet we still don't have any good concrete evidence that says they are real despite people looking for answer for centuries.
We're still finding new frogs, and exploring parts of the earth we haven't. We don't have the answers or means to know everything, even if we suspect it.
I am not someone who believes in ghosts, but I think if the question posited is "why wouldn't we have evidence yet if belief in ghosts has been a cultural constant for this long?", then it can simply be answered with "why wouldn't a belief in ghosts as a cultural constant for this long be evidence enough?"

naa

We're still finding new frogs, and exploring parts of the earth we haven't. We don't have the answers or means to know everything, even if we suspect it.
I am not someone who believes in ghosts, but I think if the question posited is "why wouldn't we have evidence yet if belief in ghosts has been a cultural constant for this long?", then it can simply be answered with "why wouldn't a belief in ghosts as a cultural constant for this long be evidence enough?"
I feel like we've been discovering like, 5-10 species of frog a year for the past 20 years or so and a lot of them are in really similar locations. I think there's a lot to be said for how much information is buried in the natural world and how easy it is to not discover it, or not crack the code on how best to discover new things. Not to mention the lack of scientific funding in certain categories makes it a lot more difficult to discover things. We're now in a position where it's easier to discover frogs, but we also have a lot of funding that makes that possible, and a lot of people working on it both professionally and casually. It took us a while to get here, though, and for a long time people were interested in discovering new species of animal but didn't have the means or money to do so. I don't really think research into things like paranormal phenomenon is as well-funded as research into say, frogs.

I don't really believe in ghosts or have any concrete beliefs in paranormal or supernatural phenomenon in general, for a lot of reasons, but I don't think just having something be a constant interest for a lot of people is necessarily enough. The internet helps a lot with these things and it's actually a huge reason we're discovering so many like, frogs now, but we also have organizations for that and money to do that. We don't have the same with ghosts, so I don't agree that we'd necessarily know whether or not they exist by now.

piemomxo

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I think that ghosts don't really exist in the traditional sense. As living beings we tend to project our status of living onto non-living things (think: faces on car grills or personifying your computer). For ghosts I suppose we do the same thing.
Don't get me wrong- the energy behind ghosts is very real in my opinion- I just think that what we call a 'ghost' is our interpretation (and perhaps personification) of the earth's energy rather than dead people who have come back to mess with us.
Very scary reference photo though.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
I heard a cool theory about ghosts and haunted places in that in areas where a high traumatic event occurred the environment around it "remembers" it. Think of a haunted house, there is usually a horrific murder that happened there, so the high traumatic event caused negative energy to impose a holographic imprint in that area. So what we think as "ghosts" are natural holograms imposed by negative area in a particular state of nature.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

I feel like we've been discovering like, 5-10 species of frog a year for the past 20 years or so and a lot of them are in really similar locations. I think there's a lot to be said for how much information is buried in the natural world and how easy it is to not discover it, or not crack the code on how best to discover new things. Not to mention the lack of scientific funding in certain categories makes it a lot more difficult to discover things. We're now in a position where it's easier to discover frogs, but we also have a lot of funding that makes that possible, and a lot of people working on it both professionally and casually. It took us a while to get here, though, and for a long time people were interested in discovering new species of animal but didn't have the means or money to do so. I don't really think research into things like paranormal phenomenon is as well-funded as research into say, frogs.

I don't really believe in ghosts or have any concrete beliefs in paranormal or supernatural phenomenon in general, for a lot of reasons, but I don't think just having something be a constant interest for a lot of people is necessarily enough. The internet helps a lot with these things and it's actually a huge reason we're discovering so many like, frogs now, but we also have organizations for that and money to do that. We don't have the same with ghosts, so I don't agree that we'd necessarily know whether or not they exist by now.
What you said about discovering new species is true, but a lot of the debate is taxonomic, namely where do you draw the line between variants, subspecies, and even more quibbling over recategorizing genus, tribes, and just so much more based on new genome sequencing such a mitochondrial DNA, satellite DNA and just too much more complications. For instance Aves (birds) are a gnarly one, and things get even more complicated with flora. Discovering a new species is a HUGE and lengthy process, and I was peripherally involved with assisting a researcher discovering one, and just takes so much time for the scientific community to come to an agreement upon. Unfortunately, most unfound species are becoming extinct due to human mediated development and much more...

Now the weird thing was MKULTRA, and I don't know what the CIA had in mind, but they sure aren't gullible and don't waste money on something they don't believe in. Even the researchers in charge of leading such fringe experiments aren't are silly as normal people think, they tend to be very well educated, well read and intelligent people who know how a thing or two.

I wish much more funding would go towards field biologists and ecologists to protect our dying planet instead of constructing AI which will eventually oust us from the throne of greed and grow to become a far larger problem than solution. I believe the future is in the marriage between Biology, Ecology and Tech, or Biotech. We know far more about the solar system than we do of the Amazon... buut imagine if we were to have ghost biotech? Now that'd be awesome.

• Coffee (Like)

naa

What you said about discovering new species is true, but a lot of the debate is taxonomic, namely where do you draw the line between variants, subspecies, and even more quibbling over recategorizing genus, tribes, and just so much more based on new genome sequencing such a mitochondrial DNA, satellite DNA and just too much more complications. For instance Aves (birds) are a gnarly one, and things get even more complicated with flora. Discovering a new species is a HUGE and lengthy process, and I was peripherally involved with assisting a researcher discovering one, and just takes so much time for the scientific community to come to an agreement upon. Unfortunately, most unfound species are becoming extinct due to human mediated development and much more...

Now the weird thing was MKULTRA, and I don't know what the CIA had in mind, but they sure aren't gullible and don't waste money on something they don't believe in. Even the researchers in charge of leading such fringe experiments aren't are silly as normal people think, they tend to be very well educated, well read and intelligent people who know how a thing or two.

I wish much more funding would go towards field biologists and ecologists to protect our dying planet instead of constructing AI which will eventually oust us from the throne of greed and grow to become a far larger problem than solution. I believe the future is in the marriage between Biology, Ecology and Tech, or Biotech. We know far more about the solar system than we do of the Amazon... buut imagine if we were to have ghost biotech? Now that'd be awesome.
Hey, that's really interesting! Thanks for explaining. I remember reading recently that someone was trying to identify and classify a species of flora that looks basically exactly like grass but is structurally different and they were struggling to get enough examples of it to classify it, I forgot the name unfortunately. It'd be really nice if they could get more funding, biologists and ecologists put in a lot of work and also I'd be really into uhhh the planet not dying. I'm not sure what exactly research into ghosts would look like but it'd be interesting to see stuff like that investigated in a more organized way tbh

I don't know much about MKULTRA, to be honest it's a super confusing thing to me because most things say the plan was to figure out how to better interrogate people, but then they tested a ton of it on people who had schizophrenia or other health conditions. And it's like, when's the government interrogating schizophrenics and sick people exactly? There's also so few documented subjects other than people who willingly signed up for tests and Frank Olson, who died, but I guess a lot of people write off weird experiences they have. It's a really strange thing that I don't really understand, I'd be interested in learning more about it though.

eco

Now the weird thing was MKULTRA, and I don't know what the CIA had in mind, but they sure aren't gullible and don't waste money on something they don't believe in
I dunno what MKULTRA has to do with ghosts but the CIA hasn't been sufficiently financially audited in several decades to be able to make that claim