what do you think about the future of vaporwave?

I had this conversation with a few people and the answers I got were very interesting. So what do you think about where vaporwave is headed, for the fans and artists and the idea as a whole.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jaded Dreams

unfvck the world.
Reaction score
Awards
For now, vaporwave has subdued back into a niche genre of music, but in the future, I think there will be a new wave of vaporwave centered around 2000s nostalgia. Or we could see classic vaporwave albums (like Saint Pepsi's Studio 54) payed homage to from future generations. Which in turn, would turn into a cycle of nostalgia. As for the vaporwave fans in the future, I could see a divide between classic vaporwave fans (people who like the slowed down in audacity vaporwave à la Macintosh Plus' 420) and the new vaporwave fans (people who like the more experimental stuff that has little to no samples from other pieces of media). Now this is all just a shot in the dark, but who knows, only time may tell I suppose.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
ジャズやほとんどのジャンルと同様に、蒸気波はグループ、伝統主義者、実験主義者の間で分裂するだろうと私は予測しています。伝統主義者は、基準と非常に設定されたルールを順守します。サンプルが必要になり、すべてが元のように聞こえます。一方、実験家たちは、アニメやシンセウェイブの要素を取り入れて、新しいことに挑戦します。どのグループに所属するのかわかりません。

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
I feel like where gonna get some samples based on early 2000s music. Some y2k vibes

Virtual Cafe Awards
Vaporwave has become a bit complicated.

From the surface, it's still perceived as the intersection of arts and memes. Vaporwave has evolved, but with the Simpsonwave or "Bart Simpson edits" that occasionally also contain Lo-FI, it can be a bit complicated to understand what Vaporwave has become if you haven't looked deeper into it.

The original "slow-80s" vaporwave has already been rebranded to slowed + reverb, but then there are moments like these where someone put a slowed + reverb version of their song on Spotify and put Macintosh Plus as a feature (I asked Vektroid on Twitter if this was her song but I haven't gotten a response yet.)

I believe there is definitely a future for vaporwave, but we must find a way to contextualize the newer post-2016 vaporwave and underrated gems in order for people to understand that vaporwave isn't that slow 80s pink seapunk greek bust Tumblr aesthetic from 2013 anymore.
Although Pad Chennington and many other video essay YouTubers have done a great job documenting this already!

Let's hope the YouTube algorithm will recommend more Pad Chennington, Vapor Memory and channelsurfing content in the future!

Also, someone should do a video essay about Slushwave! For me personally, it kinda came outta nowhere as I have no idea what the origin is and just saw the name appear one day, but I would love to know where Slushwave came from and what exactly it is because the Slushwave music I have heard is pretty good!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

I had this conversation with a few people and the answers I got were very interesting. So what do you think about where vaporwave is headed, for the fans and artists and the idea as a whole.
As long as there are creators and listeners, it will evolve given each parties tastes.

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards

From the surface, it's still perceived as the intersection of arts and memes. Vaporwave has evolved, but with the Simpsonwave or "Bart Simpson edits" that occasionally also contain Lo-FI, it can be a bit complicated to understand what Vaporwave has become if you haven't looked deeper into it.

The original "slow-80s" vaporwave has already been rebranded to slowed + reverb, but then there are moments like these where someone put a slowed + reverb version of their song on Spotify and put Macintosh Plus as a feature (I asked Vektroid on Twitter if this was her song but I haven't gotten a response yet.)

I believe there is definitely a future for vaporwave, but we must find a way to contextualize the newer post-2016 vaporwave and underrated gems in order for people to understand that vaporwave isn't that slow 80s pink seapunk greek bust Tumblr aesthetic from 2013 anymore.
Although Pad Chennington and many other video essay YouTubers have done a great job documenting this already!

Let's hope the YouTube algorithm will recommend more Pad Chennington, Vapor Memory and channelsurfing content in the future!

Also, someone should do a video essay about Slushwave! For me personally, it kinda came outta nowhere as I have no idea what the origin is and just saw the name appear one day, but I would love to know where Slushwave came from and what exactly it is because the Slushwave music I have heard is pretty good!

スラッシュウェーブについて良いことを聞いた

Virtual Cafe Awards

Slaptimus Prime

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Nostalgia appears to be the driving inspiration to many Vaporwave artists, myself included. Niche art genres are often very critical environments. I take it in stride. The way I see it is this. The more lights are around the brighter it gets, but the increase diminishes the significance of a single source, so people seek to limit it, so as not to become redundant. Just being another voice in a choir might not seem as fulfilling as the center stage, but every time we turn the switch off someone, we dampen the glow of the overall collective, which might prevent us from seeing the total beauty of the total contribution. It will change as the seasons do. Eventually there will only be people who never even grew up with a VCR , that will change things for sure. One thing is for certain, we must take care of each other, because many people within music culture see vaporwave as nothing but a joke and/or threat to musical integrity.

Stay classy people.

Virtual Cafe Awards

thedigitalhaunt

nant rhas las
Reaction score
Awards
Website
infinitesyncstudios.bandcamp.com
Well I have to agree with most people on here! Stuff from early 2k up to about 2010 is going to be the norm style, from sampling to original works. Not to be a ssp but the work I have been doing is focusing on this stuff because I understand the 2k stuff more, and have a lot of samples of myself and others from that time.

Virtual Cafe Awards

thedigitalhaunt

nant rhas las
Reaction score
Awards
Website
infinitesyncstudios.bandcamp.com

Would love to have a video on slush since its my favourite style of vw.

Virtual Cafe Awards