What do you want to do in 2023?

• Thread starter Aral
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 3406 times.

I was writing about this earlier in my diary.

In 2023, I want to look at fear and triggers right in the face. I had a realization that for some things (not big T trauma such as rape, war, and all of course, but for little ts and general anxiety), you need to actually trigger yourself sometimes and do things regardless of if you're afraid or if you're going to trigger a part of you that needs to see they're not in danger anymore. I will, in 2023, conquer my fears and do things anyway.

I'm afraid of speaking up? I'll speak up.
I'm afraid of texting first? I'll text first.
I'm afraid of expressing love? I'll express it anyway.
I'm afraid of asserting myself and potentially have it lead to a violent conflict? I'll do it anyway.
I'm afraid of imagining good things and assuming everything will turn out okay, trusting in God's plan no matter the current circumstances? I. Fucking. Will.

I've decided that I'd rather die than let myself live in fear. And when I've decided something, I don't let go of it. I'll keep going until eventually it comes. It can take a few days, months, even a year, perhaps 10 years, who knows, but in the end, I'm already there. I'm just experiencing a bridge of events that leads to it. That stuff can get out of whack, but in the end everything's resolved. I'll be vain and boast that I've got a massive amount of stamina.

Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I bought a copy of pico-8, I think it'd be kind of cool to make a game. Last time I made something was in Q basic around 2000 or 2001.

I need to eat less dairy.

I'd like to read more books. I've set a goal of about one a month.I used to read a lot, but It's really dropped off over the last decade and I'm down to 4-5 books a year.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I've decided that I'd rather die than let myself live in fear. And when I've decided something, I don't let go of it. I'll keep going until eventually it comes.
YES. What you have described here, and the method by which you mean to achieve it, is exactly how people are wired to build confidence. Assuming that you stick to it, you will build confidence and become a more resilient person. Not through some incel nonsense, but through slowly and steadily pushing your comfort zone one day at a time until suddenly you're a completely different (and better) version of yourself. You don't strap a parachute to someone who's afraid of height and throw them out of a plane saying "good luck," you slowly go to higher and higher floors in a skyscraper until they're comfortable looking at the skyline from a balcony. I struggled with anxiety for a long time, and I'm amazed at the difference I've seen in myself and my close friends who decided to try and take the hard road to become better - it's more than worth it.

As for me, I said in the other thread already but I want to learn how to fly fish in pursuit of becoming a more well rounded outdoorsman. Being outside really helps me deal with the frustration of living a modern life, and I think having yet another activity to do outside will give me even more reason to get out and enjoy what nature has to offer. One thing I've noticed is that "old fashioned" hobbies like that tend not to have as toxic of online cultures, so even when you are online if you're looking at those things it's not nearly as draining as looking at video game communities, for example. I'm sure there's exceptions, but it seems to generally be true.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Cobalt

Cairnkicker
Reaction score
Awards
I'm going to run a marathon this year. I've been a running for the past 8 or so years, did cross country in high school, etc. This year I'm finally going to commit to training for a full marathon. I already run about 5 miles every weekday and 8-12 miles on Saturdays. I just gotta push it farther and dedicate more time to it.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
One thing I've noticed is that "old fashioned" hobbies like that tend not to have as toxic of online cultures, so even when you are online if you're looking at those things it's not nearly as draining as looking at video game communities, for example. I'm sure there's exceptions, but it seems to generally be true.
It's because the people who practice them are typically more grounded in reality and are not as "terminally online". I'm an artist but I absolutely loathe art communities for this very reason. Drama, toxicity, bullshit. Whereas nature-oriented hobbies like fish flying or hunting draw in more sensible and pragmatic people.

Virtual Cafe Awards

CahCaw

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cahcaw.nl
Me and my friend's been talking about how 2023 is going to be the year of 'precaution'. 2022 was the year where so much crazy good shit happened, and I/we want those things to stay where they are. 2023 is not going to be the year where my world is going to change, instead, 2023 is going to be the year where I crave stability above all else. I don't want to lose the things I got, and I want to appreciate as much as possible.

Virtual Cafe Awards

straub

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I know this isn't really a special goal, but I'd like to buy a 67-71 Plymouth/Dodge/Chrysler B-body. It's a very material, somewhat attainable goal of mine, and I really should be striving for something more, like true love, or happiness, but I gave up on both a long time ago. I just buy cars now.
Nothing much ever changes for me, life's very boring. Not even the past 3 years really rocked my boat, not that I ever cared about any of it. Where's the excitement? I guess you've got to make your own, but now sure how.
Well, maybe I want some excitement for 2023. Yeah, that's it. Excitement.

Virtual Cafe Awards

wot

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I think I'll start sharing some of the stuff I've made. I've always had this habit of dreaming too big and thinking "no I can't share this just yet, I should save it for a bigger project", which might be fine on occasion but I do this for everything. I'm not sure why, probably something related to perfectionism. But even though I know that you need to make and release small stuff first to get the feedback/support/etc necessary for larger-scale projects, I still fall into this trap. One of those "knowing it rationally but being unable to integrate it into your mind" type things, I guess.

It's this same perfectionism, too, that's kept me from finishing much of anything to begin with.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

7Pebbles

Enemy of the Digital Panopticon
Reaction score
Awards
I was writing about this earlier in my diary.

In 2023, I want to look at fear and triggers right in the face. I had a realization that for some things (not big T trauma such as rape, war, and all of course, but for little ts and general anxiety), you need to actually trigger yourself sometimes and do things regardless of if you're afraid or if you're going to trigger a part of you that needs to see they're not in danger anymore. I will, in 2023, conquer my fears and do things anyway.

I'm afraid of speaking up? I'll speak up.
I'm afraid of texting first? I'll text first.
I'm afraid of expressing love? I'll express it anyway.
I'm afraid of asserting myself and potentially have it lead to a violent conflict? I'll do it anyway.
I'm afraid of imagining good things and assuming everything will turn out okay, trusting in God's plan no matter the current circumstances? I. Fucking. Will.

I've decided that I'd rather die than let myself live in fear. And when I've decided something, I don't let go of it. I'll keep going until eventually it comes. It can take a few days, months, even a year, perhaps 10 years, who knows, but in the end, I'm already there. I'm just experiencing a bridge of events that leads to it. That stuff can get out of whack, but in the end everything's resolved. I'll be vain and boast that I've got a massive amount of stamina.
God is not afraid of sin or shortcoming. God is for you. Who dare be against you? Living in fear is the worst. I've done it plenty and all it does is make you want to sit down, shut up, and stop when you could do and have so much better. Cheers, to a year of overcoming fear!

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
The 8 gettings:
Getting buffed
Getting Handsome (Zoolander mode)
Getting charismatic
Getting bitchin' (By this i mean getting what i want)
Getting loved (and absolutely fucking demolished psychologically by a cute girl or boy)
Getting Cybercowboy
Getting Hustle
Getting Friends

Featuring:
Escape from this hell of a country :blueskull:

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
The first thing up on my list would probably be your mother, and after that I'm going to learn to skate this year. I've rollerbladed for five years and I'm sick of it, I want something new and more interesting. I've already racked up a few hours on the skateboard, so far I'm loving it. So, what I want to do in 2023 is become a cool skater and make everyone jealous of my coolness.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RealTomCruise

Internet Pilgrim
Reaction score
Awards
I really don't want much for 2023, just the collapse of the industrial-technological system :uncleted:

In all seriousness I should start working out again, I slowed down this year due to some anxiety I had over time scheduling concerns with a new job but I'm falling into a comfortable groove and want to further push myself.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I think I'll start sharing some of the stuff I've made. I've always had this habit of dreaming too big and thinking "no I can't share this just yet, I should save it for a bigger project", which might be fine on occasion but I do this for everything. I'm not sure why, probably something related to perfectionism. But even though I know that you need to make and release small stuff first to get the feedback/support/etc necessary for larger-scale projects, I still fall into this trap. One of those "knowing it rationally but being unable to integrate it into your mind" type things, I guess.

It's this same perfectionism, too, that's kept me from finishing much of anything to begin with.
Oh, I get you completely. I've got the exact same issue. I wanted to write books since the age of 12, but didn't actually start writing anything more than fanfiction until I was in my 20s. I also have this issue with certain drawings that I want to look a very specific way. I have this with sewing and that's what drove me away from it because of how utterly depressed it made me, not to mention it was expensive to buy all that fabric.

And just like you, I have trouble finishing what I start for this very reason. I realize how unpolished the damn thing is and I want to start over, but then I'm in a neverending cycle.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Lunedgy

Me and my friend's been talking about how 2023 is going to be the year of 'precaution'.
This sounds a lot like CGP Grey's theme system. I'm trying to start something similar: Winter 2023 (i.e. January to March) will be the Winter of Management. I'm sick and tired to pretend nothing works in my life just because I don't have the right tools: I have three months to get anything I need, and after that it's all about my behaviour.

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I already said it in another thread, but I plan to leave the internet for a minimum of 3 months. I had no job for the entirety of 2022 (and still dosen't) and the time I spent on the internet skyrocketed. I noticed a drastic rise in negativity and digust coming from me just simply looking around it.

Aside from that, I will try to learn some new skills, mostly housekeeping stuff.