What do you want to do in 2023?

• Thread starter Aral
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 3436 times.

eve

Professional Loser
Reaction score
Awards
Website
evvv.org
i guess try and read more, thatz alwayz a good goal2 hav :p
other than that, really just trying to improve myself in any way possible is i think mayb a little unrealistic but still something to at least try -w-

Virtual Cafe Awards

plecomode

catfish boy
Reaction score
Awards
I want to go to therapy.
I've been resistant to the idea for so long for no genuine reason.
I tell myself that it wont work for me, it doesn't apply to me, it's not worth paying for; but when I really think about why I don't want to go, it's because I'm scared to go.
Overall, for 2023, I want to learn to reach out for help when I need help instead of keeping everything bottled up inside.

Outer Heaven

Stranger in a strange land
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
What kind of work? What kind of books?
Ideally an internship at a consulting firm or investment bank. I'm applying rn but Im kinda late so Im just hoping for any company in the field really. If not Ill work whatever I can find.

The 3 books at the top of my reading list rn are Dune Messiah, The Machiavellians and Crime and Punishment.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Caspar

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Ideally an internship at a consulting firm or investment bank. I'm applying rn but Im kinda late so Im just hoping for any company in the field really. If not Ill work whatever I can find.

The 3 books at the top of my reading list rn are Dune Messiah, The Machiavellians and Crime and Punishment.
'Crime and Punishment' is a nice choice, 'Notes from Underground' is also good. I know you're talking about the James Burnham book, but have you read 'The Prince' itself? It's actually a pretty slim and interesting book. Haven't read any Dune myself, but I hear plenty of good things about it.

Outer Heaven

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
have you read 'The Prince' itself?
Yeah its great
Haven't read any Dune myself, but I hear plenty of good things about it.
I would highly recommend it. It really captures the level of zeal people had in more based eras. The characters in Dune have strong convictions that theyd do anything for. Its so refreshing in a time where people have no real strongly held beliefs. The disconnect between "civilized" society and the desert people is really highlighted by how people from the outside cant understand how or why they do what they do.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Caspar

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah its great

I would highly recommend it. It really captures the level of zeal people had in more based eras. The characters in Dune have strong convictions that theyd do anything for. Its so refreshing in a time where people have no real strongly held beliefs. The disconnect between "civilized" society and the desert people is really highlighted by how people from the outside cant understand how or why they do what they do.
Reminds me of 'to those outside the mythos, no explanation is possible; to those inside the mythos, no explanation is necessary.' I'm curious, is the Islamic world in a state of (I went looking for synonyms for lack of conviction and ended up with a whole bevy of religious-connoted words for it; like heathenism, rationalism, etc. thought that was pretty funny and rather salient) un-conviction like the West is? It's one of the things I've grown most tired of. I prefer not to think that Evola is right and that we've got hundreds of years more Kali Yuga to enjoy.

Outer Heaven

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I'm curious, is the Islamic world in a state of (I went looking for synonyms for lack of conviction and ended up with a whole bevy of religious-connoted words for it; like heathenism, rationalism, etc. thought that was pretty funny and rather salient) un-conviction like the West is? It's one of the things I've grown most tired of. I prefer not to think that Evola is right and that we've got hundreds of years more Kali Yuga to enjoy.
It depends on where you are in the Islamic world, though on the whole its not nearly as strong on its convictions as it once was, which is to be expected considering Islamic civilization has been in its dark age for at least 150 years. The gulf, being the most westernized and well of has become decadent. The average Saudi or Emirati is for all intents and purposes an Arabized American liberal from 15 years ago, while a sizable minority of their population are complete degenerates equivalent to the worst western progressive. Countries like Egypt, Jordan, Algeria, Malaysia etc. are experienced a revival of faith among the youth but are plagued by their own wider societal issues. The subcontinent and Eurasian Islamic countries still embody this religious zeal though (look to Afghanistan, Pakistan, Dagestan and Palestine which is not in that region but an exception to the rule).

What gives me hope for us is that unlike western civilization, which is just entering the ashes, we've been in the final stage of degeneration for a while relative to our peak so we can only really go up. There are still glimmers of a will to fight even in places you wouldn't expect. The Arab spring showed that there is a level of stagnation and oppression that people wont tolerate, even if the ultimate result of it was negative. People forget that Syria was a rich, decadent society before 2011, yet for better or for worse now has some of the most zealous fighters on earth.

That being said, you shouldn't despair for living in the end of a cycle. It may be the end of once civilization but the world itself isn't ending. You were born in this time in your place for a reason, be it a test from God to see how you handle your situation or to make a needed contribution in the grand scheme of things no matter how small it is.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Caspar

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
It depends on where you are in the Islamic world, though on the whole its not nearly as strong on its convictions as it once was, which is to be expected considering Islamic civilization has been in its dark age for at least 150 years. The gulf, being the most westernized and well of has become decadent. The average Saudi or Emirati is for all intents and purposes an Arabized American liberal from 15 years ago, while a sizable minority of their population are complete degenerates equivalent to the worst western progressive. Countries like Egypt, Jordan, Algeria, Malaysia etc. are experienced a revival of faith among the youth but are plagued by their own wider societal issues. The subcontinent and Eurasian Islamic countries still embody this religious zeal though (look to Afghanistan, Pakistan, Dagestan and Palestine which is not in that region but an exception to the rule).

What gives me hope for us is that unlike western civilization, which is just entering the ashes, we've been in the final stage of degeneration for a while relative to our peak so we can only really go up. There are still glimmers of a will to fight even in places you wouldn't expect. The Arab spring showed that there is a level of stagnation and oppression that people wont tolerate, even if the ultimate result of it was negative. People forget that Syria was a rich, decadent society before 2011, yet for better or for worse now has some of the most zealous fighters on earth.

That being said, you shouldn't despair for living in the end of a cycle. It may be the end of once civilization but the world itself isn't ending. You were born in this time in your place for a reason, be it a test from God to see how you handle your situation or to make a needed contribution in the grand scheme of things no matter how small it is.
What ever it's worth, I wish you and the Islamic world well in seeing a rejuvenation; whether as enemies or friends, I should hope all life can 'become what it is' truly and not live merely as a shade.

As regards being at the end of a cycle, I think despair is an improper term for the sentiments I feel towards the West. I lament the nihilism and blindness so many people live through in these final embers, but I look optimistically to the far-flung future. In my estimation, there was much too much self-unawareness, hypocrisy, and dishonesty in the Christian-Western moral project. I don't think many people will learn from the errors of history, but I think some will, and I think that those who cannot learn from it will not be able to pass unto the future owing to that self-same nihilism - they'll end up in all sorts of twisted and degenerate states, and whatever passes on will really suffer the more harsh the world grows. I mean the ideas as much as the genes and people; as you see with liberalism, it grows more contorted and further removed from Stuart Mill and Locke by the day. I struggle to imagine such a resentful, warped worldview really persisting.

My ceterum censeo is for those who have, in themselves, the seedlings of a future to pursue not institutional or economic power, but virtue, wisdom - as of history and a real, phenomenal understanding of the world, and sound constitution. It makes little sense to expend your greatest energies to give vigor to what is already lost, rather to see to it that vital life persists, through the cracks, so that in some centuries, it may come to bloom again.

I have faith, in a sort of way, that things will work out. I just find it repugnant how much Westerners delight in staining themselves and their ideals and picking apart men's raison d'être and calling that 'free speech' and 'artistic expression' - as if this marks some profound achievement or new-age wisdom.

CahCaw

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cahcaw.nl
I wanna finish my book about how I would set up a commune. Currently having these feedback sessions with my friend who are most interested (with 5 others), whereby I discuss what I wrote and change it so in the end everyone can agree on the same system. 16.000 words in let's go

Virtual Cafe Awards