What does vaporwave make you feel?

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
As a genre, what sort of moods does vaporwave invoke within the minds of its listeners? I'm curious as to how different the feelings would be from person to person. :)

Virtual Cafe Awards

VALYU

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Website
valyu.bandcamp.com
I think it all depends on how it's done I've heard some that has made me hype, some sad and some that evokes a feeling of looking through Pandora's Box. 8)

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
ヴェイパーウェイヴは、インターネットの黄金時代は終わったかもしれないが、古典的なメディアを入れることができる組み合わせは無限にあることを私に理解させます。サウンドコラージュは、特にそれがなければ忘れられていたメディアに光を当てるのに役立つ場合、高貴な目的です。

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporghoul

どこにいますか?
Reaction score
Awards
Vaporwave is really powerful in what it brings to me, I've recently got a bunch of bandcamp albums on my phone and just taking walks. It just makes me remember past events of my life, depending on the music.

Anything by II nothing II makes me remember living in my home town in Indiana where it was always gloomy and rainy. But I remember it positively through that lens, so in a way, I've found it to be a coping mechanism of the past. I can't talk too much about my personal life (bc I find it sorta obnoxious) but certain vaporwave makes me confront my past, I think about childhood, struggles, getting lost in the forest one time. It does all these things because pure music doesn't necessarily make me think of specific memories. It's the distorted crunchy sampling that replicates feelings of past events to me.

Virtual Cafe Awards

[Tr4sh_Kun]

(Kinda) Social Isolationist
Reaction score
Awards
Relaxed, i often listen to vaporwave when i want to draw or i want to sleep

Virtual Cafe Awards

-SteampunkTraveler-

Some Random Occultist
Reaction score
Awards
Website
boardsofthenorth.freeforums.net
As a genre, what sort of moods does vaporwave invoke within the minds of its listeners? I'm curious as to how different the feelings would be from person to person. :)
Maloncholy, and sometimes peace. I love that . :continueanyway:

Virtual Cafe Awards
Vaporwave is a melancholy reminder of the future that I was promised, but never got.

Trad/Christwave specifically is a sobering reminder of how far we've fallen, and the good that modern technology could've brought to the world- if it wasn't controlled by Satan.

Future Funk is just a fun time to break up the gloominess.

Virtual Cafe Awards
It makes me feel nostalgic for a time that never existed, and sad about the futures we've lost.

There's something very unique about the present. We look back to other times in hopes of having a little taste of what it was like to live back then, like somehow we can feel the excitement of living in a time filled with hope, creativity, and newness simply by reproducing it's trappings. But no matter how hard we try, they are the generations that experienced it, and we are the generation that hopes the experience of wanting to be those who experienced it will be enough to make up for the emptiness. That is, an emptiness that results from our inability to manifest the past's promises. We should be living through some other future, but it is lost to us. Maybe slowing down Muzac tracks, telephone hold music, and fast food advertisements will let us see what made that time so special so that we may have the chance to live through them once again. Such is the lie of nostalgia.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Iommi Fan 420

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.fbi.gov
Vaporwave is a melancholy reminder of the future that I was promised, but never got.

Trad/Christwave specifically is a sobering reminder of how far we've fallen, and the good that modern technology could've brought to the world- if it wasn't controlled by Satan.

Future Funk is just a fun time to break up the gloominess.
Would you mind sharing some of this christwave? I am intrigued

disco

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Mallsoft is happy and positive in an ironic way. So we play pretend together. I go about my sad little day blasting pling plong grocery store elevator music and it reminds me that life isn't that deep. Was that overly emo to admit? Yes, but I think vaporwave music is very emo.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I feel a sense of, idk, liminality? A welcome loneliness and mind numbing seclusion. It makes me remember waking up in the wee hours of the night hearing cringy infomercial music while still half-asleep. It reminds me of the side rooms of my local mall where businesses used to hold meetings and I would hear the corporate approved presentation music while people stare blankly at a CRT television displaying early computer graphics.

Driving through my home town late at night on the way home from visiting distant family members, the smell of the musty finished basement whose furniture is stuck in the 80s still clinging to my nose; the humming neon beer sign above the pool table still rings in the background of my dreams.

It truly triggers nostalgia for the in-between times of my life growing up. The parts that I don't remember clearly so it remains distorted and fuzzy.

Virtual Cafe Awards