What games do you play that you hate to love?

Kolph

Traitor
Reaction score
Awards
Minecraft, I've played it since 2011 and it was a prominent childhood game, but now the dev team is so absurdly shit that they struggle to bring out updates that a 16 year old on the Minecraft Forum could have released after a month's work. I miss the Notch era when the game had more charm, better mod support, and wasn't run by that bugman Jeb who threw his friend Notch under the bus. Also yeah that's another thing, I hate how the whole company treated Notch after selling the game to Microsoft all because he didn't have the same political beliefs as McDonalds and Starbucks. Minecraft is now in the hand of scum who can't meet deadlines and are frankly shit people, fuck 'em.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Minecraft, I've played it since 2011 and it was a prominent childhood game, but now the dev team is so absurdly shit that they struggle to bring out updates that a 16 year old on the Minecraft Forum could have released after a month's work. I miss the Notch era when the game had more charm, better mod support, and wasn't run by that bugman Jeb who threw his friend Notch under the bus. Also yeah that's another thing, I hate how the whole company treated Notch after selling the game to Microsoft all because he didn't have the political beliefs as McDonalds and Starbucks. Minecraft is now in the hand of scum who can't meet deadlines and are frankly shit people, fuck 'em.
Well said.

Virtual Cafe Awards

shae

satanic mechanic
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I played that colonel sanders dating sim when it came out and genuinely enjoyed it even though it was horrible. it made me question many things about myself.

Virtual Cafe Awards

PatriotSmash

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
KOC because the game is dead and the servers are trash now. Also the fact the majority of the community is perma attached to copium believing the game isnt dead.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
I still play a lot of nfl 2k5. Also road trip adventure. Such a kooky lil car game, Japan tried to make a RJRPG?
A racing Japanese role playing game?
It might of been something else but it was a mix of two genres. Think the cars movie if it was an open world game with the Disney paint off making things uncanny. The quests are weird as hell too like finding ghost cars or meeting ufos, meeting underwater deities and pond fairies.

Lotta weird shit for a car game but I love to play it when I've got some liquor

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
RPGs in general. I hate turn-based combat and tedious checklist style quests, but I'm a sucker for a good world building and catchy music.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Kaputski

Travelling without moving
Reaction score
Awards
I have love/hate relationship with 2D fighting games. I started to get "seriously" into the genre with the release of Street Fighter IV in 2009. Here i am, a decade later still mashing buttons and getting my ass kicked online and offline. Fortunatly i met good friends along the way.

Virtual Cafe Awards

g4m3rguy_1776

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Red dead online is a mess but it's comfy and I do enjoy the PvE (and pvp but to a much lesser extent)

Virtual Cafe Awards

SeketMeto

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Slay the Spire. Took me ages to beat the Heart with all the characters, because no matter how good is your deck, no matter how easily you roll over every single enemy and boss in the Tower, if your deck is not tailored to beat the Heart, you'll get destroyed up there.

Also, Paradise Killer. Beautiful atmosphere, awesome music, great story, brilliant gameplay ideas... But it's so fucking SLOW.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ogerch

The Hammer of Philosophers
Reaction score
Awards
For me I guess it's Pathologic 2 and 1. As much as I hate to scavenge every piece of trash in order to hopefully survive the next day, the lore of the game is too appealing, so mystic and still full of mystery. The game can still be buggy at times and makes me go on a tantrum. Nevertheless, it's a love/hate relationship.
Pathologic.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

DeathToMicroWaves

Are you being held hostage by a spider?
Reaction score
Awards
War robots and I know that it is pay to win but it is pretty fun

Virtual Cafe Awards

aplinken

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
every competitive multiplayer game that i play on a somewhat regular basis Dota 2, Valorant etc (changes from time to time)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ruby Azura

Macintosh Plus
Reaction score
Awards
I play a lot of games that I hate to love, League of Legends, osu!, Apex Legends, CSGO, how about you and how do you feel they impact your mental health?
Hate that I love Tarkov, the game constantly slaps me in the balls but I keep coming back for more

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jared

יָרֶד
Reaction score
Awards
Website
xertech.neocities.org
I play a lot of games that I hate to love, League of Legends, osu!, Apex Legends, CSGO, how about you and how do you feel they impact your mental health?
Blockland (where my PFP comes from) the game is incredibly toxic and dead , but I have over 250 hours on it . The game by itself is so fun , and the building system is stupidly satisfying.

Virtual Cafe Awards

cynthiune

DM me cool y2k / tiled desktop wallpapers
Reaction score
Awards
Minecraft, I've played it since 2011 and it was a prominent childhood game, but now the dev team is so absurdly shit that they struggle to bring out updates that a 16 year old on the Minecraft Forum could have released after a month's work. I miss the Notch era when the game had more charm, better mod support, and wasn't run by that bugman Jeb who threw his friend Notch under the bus. Also yeah that's another thing, I hate how the whole company treated Notch after selling the game to Microsoft all because he didn't have the same political beliefs as McDonalds and Starbucks. Minecraft is now in the hand of scum who can't meet deadlines and are frankly shit people, fuck 'em.
I know Minecraft clones can be pretty cringe, but I recently started playing Minetest, a free, open-source mod-friendly alternative and it honestly is so comfy. It absolutely has the old "Notch era" Minecraft vibe. I started playing it because I lost access to my Minecraft account that I made back in like 2012.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
"the more you love pokemon, the more you hate gamefreak" - oft-repeated post on 2ch and /vp/

Aside from Minecraft, pokemon is the ultimate "love and hate" game series for me. There are so many ways to play pokemon, so many things you can do, the skies the limit even as it is now, and the whole thing is brimming with potential even after all this time. The pokemon formula is a masterpiece and seriously one of the most fun experiences I've ever had with a game

The problem, of course, is that these games SSSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!! They're GARBAGE. The graphics and animations are abysmal, the glitches keep getting worse with every new generation, the stories feel like something you'd see on Nick Jr., the level design has become a linear series of bland hallways one after the other, and the pokemon themselves continue to become increasingly less inspired, not helped by the new simplified art style, where parts of a pokemon that once would have been detailed, like hooves or bird feet, are now just polygonal blobs. (Ex: Pidgey vs. Fletchling, Tauros vs. Wooloo) The worst part, however, is the difficulty. These are the easiest, most baby games I've ever played. Flash games you can beat in 5 minutes are more challenging than pokemon. Kirby games are more challenging than pokemon. Shovelware for the ipad is more challenging than pokemon.

These games SUCK. They're TERRIBLE. The only two good points that have remained consistent are, weirdly enough, the human character designs and the music. Nearly everyone, even random trainers, feels memorable and this is cemented by the plethora of fanart for pokemon characters, outdoing the fanart for pokemon themselves in some cases. And as for the music - well, just listen

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGdmz1AN_NA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCG98StBDfQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-3rX3SJvZw

Virtual Cafe Awards