What games have you been playing lately?

Nephaneel

Brute of the Lagoon
Reaction score
Awards
I am once again playing Chaos;Child. Last time I tried playing through it life rudely got in the way, and with the approach of summer I once again get nostalgic for virtual novels. Hoping I finish it this time around.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I am once again playing Chaos;Child. Last time I tried playing through it life rudely got in the way, and with the approach of summer I once again get nostalgic for virtual novels. Hoping I finish it this time around.
If you wanna talk about VNs I'd be very glad if you necro'd my thread:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Nephaneel

Brute of the Lagoon
Reaction score
Awards
If you wanna talk about VNs I'd be very glad if you necro'd my thread:
Thanks for the invitation, I'll be sure to write something up once I get back in the VN groove. Been far too long since I've played one.

Virtual Cafe Awards

dxm & diamonds

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Max Payne Mobile on my Chromebook. I never really noticed how fucked up the first level was.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
After about a year-long break, I fell back hard into Kerbal Space Program. Started a new Science save and I'm almost halfway through the tech tree already, but only recently got my first interplanetary probe into orbit around the moon of the Mars-equivalent planet. With some more practice I'm really hoping to get better at interplanetary missions, especially since I bit the bullet and installed the Outer Planets mod, which adds several new planets and moons beyond the orbit of the previous outermost planet.

It really helps during long missions to have something to watch on my second monitor, which has become the permanent residence of Vargskelethor Joel as of late. The fecalfunny man improves anything.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
30C9F60B-4B91-4830-ABE3-B8F763F89C40.jpeg

EF96C8DF-C590-4807-86FE-A632279BEDC3.jpeg
2DA5CD3C-1001-4FDA-A634-B5BBCABF9B2B.jpeg
8D6EBB3E-887A-49F1-8299-905904C62239.jpeg

road trip and grand turismo kick

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
image.png

AdorableRawHusky-max-1mb.gif

Having more fun with the free Selaco Demo than with some games I paid 20 bucks for...

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
image.png

AdorableRawHusky-max-1mb.gif

Having more fun with the free Selaco Demo than with some games I paid 20 bucks for...
tfw when a boomer shooter demo is better than AAA games. I'm still amazed it's made in the gzdoom engine
I played the shit out of Elden Ring over last month and earlier this month. Then played some Dread Delusion since it released in Early Access(pretty cool retro-style king's field-style game). Both were good fun

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Battle Brothers was on sale recently and I snagged it because it's right up my alley. Low fantasy, turn based X-COM-ish combat, rogue-lite elements, open world.
I'm currently running a company of peasants which can only draft other peasants such as former millers, fishers, daytalers and such and my company joined the northern noble houses in a crusade/holy war against the desert kingdoms.

Virtual Cafe Awards
The Binding of Isaac, mostly. I find it kinda therapeutic given the lore and story. My own background isn't as awful but it somehow... comforts me to play Isaac? I just love everything about this game.

Also discovered this site a couple days ago and been spending a fair amount of time on it, especially when I get into an anxious state while healing past trauma. I love physical jigsaw puzzles, but they unfortunately take too much space as I can't frame them all (and they wouldn't necessarily go well together in a room), so this site is really good. Might upload my own art as puzzles there someday.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Tuff

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Recently I haven't been playing too much, mostly Arma 3 in the Eden editor or Age of History 2, but they're pretty much all I would need

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Battle Brothers was on sale recently and I snagged it because it's right up my alley. Low fantasy, turn based X-COM-ish combat, rogue-lite elements, open world.
I'm currently running a company of peasants which can only draft other peasants such as former millers, fishers, daytalers and such and my company joined the northern noble houses in a crusade/holy war against the desert kingdoms.
very very good gaym, also the legends mod is interesting...

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
very very good gaym, also the legends mod is interesting...
I think my first campaign is coming to an end though. I played it more like fire emblem, letting no one die and reloading whenever I slipped up. Now I have 16 dudes in my company that, I think, are badly skilled because I didn't use any guides and the late game enemies are impossible to beat even if I now start accepting losses.
I guess my offense isn't diverse enough because I basically only got polearms and spears with a few swords and a flail in between and then a bowman and 3 dudes that throw spears and axes. This means 70% of my offense is stabbing which sucks against the late game tin cans.
Having every 2nd guy in my frontline be able to use spearwall is fantastic against orcs, wolves, undead and the lower armored brigands but this strat seems to have fallen off now.
I already started a new save with the cultist background and now I'm giving them all kinds of weapons to be more adaptable. Definitely gonna use more hammers/maces/axes this time to break shields and armor.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I think my first campaign is coming to an end though. I played it more like fire emblem, letting no one die and reloading whenever I slipped up. Now I have 16 dudes in my company that, I think, are badly skilled because I didn't use any guides and the late game enemies are impossible to beat even if I now start accepting losses.
I guess my offense isn't diverse enough because I basically only got polearms and spears with a few swords and a flail in between and then a bowman and 3 dudes that throw spears and axes. This means 70% of my offense is stabbing which sucks against the late game tin cans.
Having every 2nd guy in my frontline be able to use spearwall is fantastic against orcs, wolves, undead and the lower armored brigands but this strat seems to have fallen off now.
I already started a new save with the cultist background and now I'm giving them all kinds of weapons to be more adaptable. Definitely gonna use more hammers/maces/axes this time to break shields and armor.
generally i have most of the frontline as two handers, eventually at least

Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
FInally found the thread where I can blog about my gaming.

Currently stuck neck deep in Caves of Qud. Had it on my wishlist for ages but 12$ for an indie roguelike always seemed bit much when Angband and Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead brought me hundreds of hours of fun for free.
With a recent steam stale and feeling burnout after 230 hrs of Elden Ring (over a very short time) I finally got it.
And man, this game has me feeling like I'm playing Morrowind all over again. You're thrust into this alien world with its very own culture and even language and it's like nothing I have ever seen before.
I was wondering why I felt so immersed only half an hour in but I think I found the answer:
Item descriptions and mob descriptions (with barely any graphics, 'l'ooking at stuff is very important, especially early on) aren't written neutrally for the player but rather how a person in the world would describe it. So if you inspect a rabid dog, it doesn't say: Canine with shaggy fur. but:
View attachment 25224
A completely normal revolver is described as:
image.png

image.png

When talking to an NPC, the default "goodbye"-phrase is "Live and drink" because fresh water is the most important resource in Qud and also the main currency. Thus lots of the culture is based on water.
image.png

It even goes as far as there being a dedicated water ritual where you share water with a stranger to show your trust and sympathy:
image.png

This is very important to pull you into the strange world the devs have created. It's consistent, strange and interesting and so far feels really authentic.

The gameplay itself is not that special. You have your standard roguelike tile- and turnbased combat with RPG values and dice rolls deciding most outcomes.
Character creation however is wild again. You can choose between two base "races": Mutated human and true kin. The latter have better stats and can install bionic implants such as armored skin or arm stabilizers for aiming.
Mutated humans have lower base stats but can buy mutations at creation and mutate as you level, granting multiple limbs, stingers, fur, horns, gas glands or epser/psychic stuff like heating an area with your mind, teleportation and force fields.
Anyway, if you enjoy roguelikes, CoQ is a must play imo.
Yo I have been playing CoQ lately , are you still playing it? I was recommended to try it by @Punp while I was in search of a game w/ a similar aesthetic to old school C64 Ultima games I used to play. Graphically, it definitely fills that gap however the sounds and music give it a bit of a different feel. I actually tried turning music off to get the feel closer but found I like it better with. Maybe it is more like something I wished for when I was in fact playing those early Ultimas on my uncles computers than the Ultimas themselves.

One of the things I really love about the game is its seemingly endless collection of history and lore. I feel like I can play it just to collect books to read. Build a library etc... it really is a fantastic game.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Aeria Gloris

Virtual Runner
Reaction score
Awards
Been playing a lot of PS2 games on emulator lately. I am currently playing Shadow Hearts 2 which is a turn-based JRPG. It stands out from the rest because of The Judgement Ring mechanism. During each battle action you have to hit either the yellow or the red spot (Critical) to execute the Attack/Spell. Ie. In case of multiple hits, if you miss 3/5, you will only execute the 3.
If you like JRPGS then you should definitely give this one a chance.
PS2SHADHEARTS2.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
Just bought Little Witch Nobeta. Never played a Souls game before so I guess this is my introduction to the genre. Pretty fun so far.

Virtual Cafe Awards

lastrada

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I bought an Xbox 360 (E Model if you're curious) and bought a ton of games. Been slowly going through them, so far I've finished The Darkness, Gears Of War, and LIMBO. I'm currently playing through Grand Theft Auto IV and skate.