what is daycore and is it affiliated to vaporwave in any way?

Kreislauf

Pepsi inspector
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
This might be a stupid question, but i have seen this floating around in youtube:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKGns1hWRhQ
and i wonder, what is daycore and is it affiliated to vaporwave in any way?

デイコアのことは聞いたことがありませんが、最近は毎分新しい美学があるようです。それが蒸気波に関係しているかどうかについては、私はそうは言いません。この音楽は非常に耳障りで研ぎ澄まされています。デスメタルのような

Virtual Cafe Awards
Hi! Could be wrong here, but...

"Nightcore" seems to refer to music that is pitch-shifted up or sped up from source material (link)

I hadn't heard of "daycore" before, but the artist linked to the original (unedited) song in the description of the video you posted. It seems that this song is slowed down/pitched down; this makes sense because, well, day/night are opposites. Night is sped up and day is slowed down.

I would say, perhaps this is vaporwave-inspired. Lots of early vaporwave was cut-up, slowed-down 80s/90s pop songs. Though the song you posted doesn't fit seem to fit vaporwave's "nostalgia" theme, it's still a slowed-down version of another track. Maybe you could say that this track is "vaporware-adjacent" if you really wanted to :p but it's looking to me like "daycore" is referring to editing any song and slowing it down or pitching it down.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
はい、奇妙なコアのように、このジャンルは別のものだと思います。それでも面白いですが

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kreislauf

Pepsi inspector
Reaction score
Awards
デイコアのことは聞いたことがありませんが、最近は毎分新しい美学があるようです。それが蒸気波に関係しているかどうかについては、私はそうは言いません。この音楽は非常に耳障りで研ぎ澄まされています。デスメタルのような
確かに

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kreislauf

Pepsi inspector
Reaction score
Awards
Hi! Could be wrong here, but...

"Nightcore" seems to refer to music that is pitch-shifted up or sped up from source material (link)

I hadn't heard of "daycore" before, but the artist linked to the original (unedited) song in the description of the video you posted. It seems that this song is slowed down/pitched down; this makes sense because, well, day/night are opposites. Night is sped up and day is slowed down.

I would say, perhaps this is vaporwave-inspired. Lots of early vaporwave was cut-up, slowed-down 80s/90s pop songs. Though the song you posted doesn't fit seem to fit vaporwave's "nostalgia" theme, it's still a slowed-down vw.youtube
ersion of another track. Maybe you could say that this track is "vaporware-adjacent" if you really wanted to :p but it's looking to me like "daycore" is referring to editing any song and slowing it down or pitching it down.
i have actually found a more "nostalgic" song by the same artist https://www.com/watch?v=JTQExVEfKuM , only because of the title (aesthetic and anime references). To be honest it reminds me of a weird vaportrap track...For the anime influence it's more in modern anime so yeah... It's just a weird genre i guess...

Virtual Cafe Awards

Kreislauf

Pepsi inspector
Reaction score
Awards
はい、奇妙なコアのように、このジャンルは別のものだと思います。それでも面白いですが
少なくとも私にとっては、nightcoreからもっと面白い (sorry if these are wrong, it's thru google translate. I don't really know Japanese, sadly.)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
This is my first time seeing sewerslvt referred to as "daycore."

Like Bobby said, daycore seems to be the opposite of nightcore, but that would imply doing nothing more to the source material than simply slowing it down/pitch shifting down a few octaves.

As you can tell, sewerslvt's work is heavily based in Drum & Bass, and self-describes it as such in their bandcamp page, along with "breakcore," a DnB-adjacent subgenre.

https://sewerslvt.com/album/sewer-slvt-ep

As such, I wouldn't even necessarily call "daycore" a real genre, considering it's almost exclusively a late reaction to nightcore and production seems sparse at best. It doesn't even have a Wikipedia page (circumstantial evidence, I know).

But as far as it's relationship to vaporwave goes, the connections are coincedental. since nightcore is fast, daycore must be slow, which just so happens to be a common theme in classic vaporwave tracks. There's also the anime connection, which is also mere coincidence due to nightcore's focus on it.

Virtual Cafe Awards
This is my first time seeing sewerslvt referred to as "daycore."

Like Bobby said, daycore seems to be the opposite of nightcore, but that would imply doing nothing more to the source material than simply slowing it down/pitch shifting down a few octaves.

As you can tell, sewerslvt's work is heavily based in Drum & Bass, and self-describes it as such in their bandcamp page, along with "breakcore," a DnB-adjacent subgenre.

https://sewerslvt.com/album/sewer-slvt-ep

As such, I wouldn't even necessarily call "daycore" a real genre, considering it's almost exclusively a late reaction to nightcore and production seems sparse at best. It doesn't even have a Wikipedia page (circumstantial evidence, I know).

But as far as it's relationship to vaporwave goes, the connections are coincedental. since nightcore is fast, daycore must be slow, which just so happens to be a common theme in classic vaporwave tracks. There's also the anime connection, which is also mere coincidence due to nightcore's focus on it.
To clarify, sewerslvt is not being referred to as daycore. The original song is here:

View: https://youtu.be/beoNy4MMHTc

OP posted a "daycore edit" of this song, which slows the whole thing done

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
To clarify, sewerslvt is not being referred to as daycore. The original song is here:

View: https://youtu.be/beoNy4MMHTc

OP posted a "daycore edit" of this song, which slows the whole thing done

Ah shit, not sure how I didn't notice that. This is one of my favorite songs from them, too. Been a little while since I last heard it I, guess :LaughHard:

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards