What is your oldest tech-related memory?

dullkedo

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
I remember watching the "Eye Of The Tiger" DBZ AMV with my older brother on Youtube around like 05' or 06' maybe 7ish
It was the also the first AMV I remember watching

Virtual Cafe Awards

AvocadoJelly

Eastern Calculus
Reaction score
Awards
Playing Super Mario 64 in 2000-2001. My older sister (she's six years older than me, and I was born in '98) and I would take turns. I have a fairly vivid memory of insisting on playing even though it wasn't my turn, and so a second controller was plugged into the player 2 port and given to me. It was when we were spinning Bowser around to throw him onto the bomb that I realized I had been duped.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

feastofsnakes

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I remember playing the DOS game War Eagles on the first computer we got when I was around 6. Must have been about '93. I remember it came as a free add on to a desktop publisher that my stepmom got, so it was the only game we had for quite a while.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Croot_Overlord

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Playing on my brother's Atari sometime in the early 90s, a very vague memory but it was before 1993 I think. We got a second hand NES shortly after at some point.
Atari for me too. I remember that the controller stopped working and it was my first time realizing that something that didn't look broken could be broken

Virtual Cafe Awards

calico_jack

midwest emo
Reaction score
Awards
playing star wars battlefront 2 and gran Turismo on the PS2. also my mom had this hallmark card program on our old pc, must have ran on like windows xp or vista

Virtual Cafe Awards

PlaneWalker

Eye of the Raven
Reaction score
Awards
Playing Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time on the N64 in the late 90s. I remember being shit scared of the ReDeads and at first had my mom play one or two of the more scary sections, until she told me to do it myself. Then I did, and that was a learning moment for playing and appreciating games with horror elements in them.

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I think it might be the glorious cacophony of sound and flashing colors of my mother printing something from an Apple ][c on an ImageWriter II dot matrix printer.

image_2022-01-06_115929.png
image_2022-01-06_113446.png

I distinctly remember the printer screeching away while the screen flashed a rainbow of colors with PRINTING in giant letters on the screen.

Here's a video of it being demonstrated:

View: https://youtu.be/z3hMOxR0n5g?t=300

Virtual Cafe Awards

zalaz alaza

hawaiin burger genie 5.04 LTS
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zalazalaza.xyz
Playing Combat on Atari with my mom.

Then C64 at my grandparents house that my uncles would play(they were only 7 or so yrs older than me). Played this game called Cauldron when my uncles would set me up. here it is !

1641490670884.png

Also, VIC-20 computer that used tapes to store data.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

cynthiune

DM me cool y2k / tiled desktop wallpapers
Reaction score
Awards
I THINK I remember playing some old Crayola game on my moms Windows 98 computer when I was maybe like 4. It's such a vague memory I don't even know if its real but I can clearly see my moms computer in the living room and the colorful interface of the game. I'm gonna go searching and see if I can find this game.
Edit: It WASN'T a fever dream. This is it!

Virtual Cafe Awards

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I remember watching a funny video of macaronis dancing the macarena, on a black laptop with both my parents.
I just googled it and it should have been sometimes around 1996.

What about you?
Playing Kirby Superstar for the first time when I was about 3 years old on my grandmas old wood panel Zenith TV

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Year 2001, my uncle got internet access with one of those dial up modems and I remember the noises it and the computer made very clearly.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
One of the earliest was my dad bringing home a Packard Bell with Windows 3.11 (for Workgroups!). It came with a bunch of 3D multimedia games, like 3D Body World, Undersea Adventure 3D, 3D Dinosaur Adventure, and some game based around Speed where you could "ride" a virtual roller coaster (basically meaning you saw some POV CGI animation). There was something really fascinating, yet completely unsettling and alien about the games. Like many of them featured some incredibly basic raycaster portions where you would wander around rooms that were supposed to represent the inside of a human body or the ocean while this eerie MIDI music would play. There would also be spoken dialogue and stuff too.

In the 3D Body World game, you were basically microscopic and had to run around a person's internal organs, zapping out any infections they had. If you fucked up, you could kill the patient. Strangely, too, I remember that you could run outside of the hospital before choosing a level but there was nothing outside.

I think this intro where the man walks behind the X-Ray is the first thing I actually saw on the computer. It spooked 5-year-old me

Here's a taste of Undersea Adventure

Here's an animation of a dinosaur chase from 3D Dinosaur Adventure that I probably watched at least 100 times as a kid

Same with this one where a T-Rex is reanimated and goes for a run

And don't get me started on the Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia Release 6

Virtual Cafe Awards