What is your opinion on Vaporwar/War Aesthetics.

Deleted member 2040

For me at least, War is in the human nature. Even if it's horrible, many people want to die in a war, because a peaceful life for many has become meaningless.
Alas, I've been waiting to post this quote and you've set the grounds for it.

"This is the nature of war, whose stake is at once the game and the authority and the justification. Seen so, war is the truest form of divination. It is the testing of one's will and the will of another within that larger will which because it binds them is therefore forced to select. War is the ultimate game because war is at last a forcing of the unity of existence. War is god"
- Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

Edit 1: I'm not advocating war, but simply sharing a great quote from a favorite book.

Deleted member 1930

c.jpg

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
I made this as fan art for superpredator and agora road.
superprforum.png

Attachments

• superprforum.png
    superprforum.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 69
Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I've been subscribed to War Aesthetics since it was a tiny little channel.
It's an interesting/fun vibe to have that music juxtaposed with military footage I might have seen on the 11 o'clock news as a kid in the early 90's.
Also finding weapons "cool" is an almost universal experience for young boys. Especially so back then when it was more normal and not demonized.

Anywho, I always wondered to what extent these channels were inspired by Metal Gear Solid 5, sneaking up on enemy bases while blasting cassettes of 80's hits Snake could find scattered about the map. I know I had a blast with that.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
They are pretty cool. The IRA stuff is particularly nice, as well as Chechnya and Yugoslavia. I am excited to see what Ukraine will bring to the genre.

Virtual Cafe Awards

UCD

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
vapourwave esthetic is in my opinion, is centered around its apathy. Violence and vapourwave can fit together, but war and propaganda edits just can't. I don't believe vapourwave can fit with such an obvious ideological bent. Vapourwave seems to hit hardest when it shows imagery that should have meaning, without meaning, and that just doesn't happen with war edits, because they always pander to one side. Technically there could be a war edit that fits with vapourwave, but I haven't seen one. As long as they are all about making war seem cool, I won't like it. They are just so lame.

Virtual Cafe Awards

notetoself

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
@Vaporweeb a generous interpretation could be an attempt to draw a parallel between the exploration of the manufactured past and our understanding of desert storm. It was the televised war, playing out in living rooms across the country, while in truth very little actually happened. Grainy images of night-vision reticles of over brown terrain sold to the public as a righteous crusade. We were the good guys again!

more than likely though yeah it's just an attempt to be 2edgy ;P
Baudrillard wrote three essays for The Guardian collectively titled "The Gulf War Did Not Take Place" exploring among other things how the war was experienced by the American public and even the soldiers participating in it as a mediated presentation. Well worth a read. Fashwave and vaporwar strike me as particularly distasteful examples of that same way of presenting war as media spectacle.

calico_jack

midwest emo
Reaction score
Awards
does this count? we should just start a new subgenre called "Romanwave"
vaporwave-statue-sculpture-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yakito

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
For me, it was my introduction to the various internet-wave kind of music and culture. Fashwave was nice until it was allowed, on the other hand Mauzer et. al. does some nice videos as well. My main problem is that ultimately with most internet-wave art movements(?) that it can get really stale after a while.

What I find amusing is that for me, the pseudo 80s nostalgia is already part of the a mid 2010s nostalgia on it's own.

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

EvilEyesEvilLies

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
It's romanticism of war. I feel as though there are tow camps here (with obvious grey area's imbetween), in camp A you have people who are against war aesthetics for glorifying war and the destruction that comes with it, and then you have camp B, people who support it because it looks cool and the music is pretty neat. I feel as though people's thoughts on war aesthetics are the same as their thoughts on sovietwave (if not closely aligned with it). Personally, I'm in camp B, that is to say, I like it because I think it's neat and the music is pretty nice.

Virtual Cafe Awards