What is your "quiet"?

Reaction score
Awards
Shut Up GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Through my natural gravitation towards conversation, and my love of pontificating, I have found that people often have a version of "quiet" that isn't
necessarily silence or absence of sound. Instead of the marriam-webster definition, I believe the definition of quiet is more representative of something that
allows your mind to rest from thought and be present. For instance my Tattoo artist's version of quiet is constant music playing, my cousin likes the sound of a fan blowing,
I myself have had ample time to explore this as I am an insomniac. Some nights in order to sleep, I require a VHS player with a familiar movie at a scene I do not care if I miss. This
lulls me into a thoughtless state of mind and thus qualifies as my "quiet".

Should your Quiet be actual silence this forum is not for you, Its more for those that prefer to avoid silence, as to some of us it can be extremely loud and distracting.

Share your versions below or your thoughts on this philosophy:

Virtual Cafe Awards

shiftycomfort

Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
my quiet is sitting on my side porch and listening to the cars while looking and listening to the woods behind my house. for sleep i use rain sounds, before i cohabited i would listen to classical music. also i feel like my quiet is diffrent depending on the setting like at work its fast tempo music. nice topic hope to read more from others.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
my quiet is sitting on my side porch and listening to the cars while looking and listening to the woods behind my house. for sleep i use rain sounds, before i cohabited i would listen to classical music. also i feel like my quiet is diffrent depending on the setting like at work its fast tempo music. nice topic hope to read more from others.
Those are great quiets. I appreciate you sharing them

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporghoul

どこにいますか?
Reaction score
Awards
Sometimes, I will just explore the woods near my house, mainly just because I love the forest. To me, it is one of the few natural joys I can really pick up in life. I've never really been a fan of appealing to "nature" as it really doesn't move us forward and will keep us behind. But admiring nature is a great thing. The forest is one of my few escapes to be completely honest. I don't usually avoid conversation or socializing but I do tend to get burnt out on it. These issues are what have led me to having a rocky relationship with my parents and sometimes I just need to leave the house. The forest has been the true definition of quiet to me as it is more natural to me than most escapes. I don't want my mind to think rapidly or a lot just because of a location. The forest is beautiful, yet has no order besides the one instilled in nature. Everything is ordinary. My mind then thinks about what it needs and it's freeing.

(also I find it really funny that out of my few posts I've just been discussing forests like wtf. I do rarely visit the forums so I don't know if that has to do with anything)

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
私は夜に星を見上げて、星座や宇宙現象を見つけるのを楽しんでいます。木星の月の火山噴火を時々観察します。また、火星の衛星が飛び交うのを見ました。サイエンスフィクションをテーマにした曲が多い私の曲に大きく貢献しています

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

Sometimes, I will just explore the woods near my house, mainly just because I love the forest. To me, it is one of the few natural joys I can really pick up in life. I've never really been a fan of appealing to "nature" as it really doesn't move us forward and will keep us behind. But admiring nature is a great thing. The forest is one of my few escapes to be completely honest. I don't usually avoid conversation or socializing but I do tend to get burnt out on it. These issues are what have led me to having a rocky relationship with my parents and sometimes I just need to leave the house. The forest has been the true definition of quiet to me as it is more natural to me than most escapes. I don't want my mind to think rapidly or a lot just because of a location. The forest is beautiful, yet has no order besides the one instilled in nature. Everything is ordinary. My mind then thinks about what it needs and it's freeing.

(also I find it really funny that out of my few posts I've just been discussing forests like wtf. I do rarely visit the forums so I don't know if that has to do with anything)
Hello Vaporghoul, this is my first substantial reply on this site and my intention is to generate interesting dialogue/discussion rather than incite argument. I'm very passionate about nature and its incredibly important role it will play this century. Please don't take any offence to my ramblings. I will keep politics (that's the type of s**T I don't like) at a skeletal minimum.

I'm curious to understand why you believe nature will keep up behind? We need to cooperate with nature now more than ever before; take a look at what has happened in Texas (aside from the political ramifications of private-companies lordin' it up); they never accounted for extreme weather and didn't plan for it, but it came anyways. Without getting political (let us please not not invoke conspiracy theories here), we could say our scoffing at nature was a significant contribution to the spillover of CoViD from bats to humans.
Technology is great yes, but look at what we do when we use it? Most of the greatest technological innovations are used for marketers to create a behavioral profile of you (not you specifically but you in the plural sense, like the archaic but the infinitely amusing ye) based on data science, create a nice little profile of us, bundle them up and sell them to advertisers who believe their ads would convince you to buy into whatever doohickey they peddle. This online advertising market which Google innovated and rules, was worth more than the entire oil market of 2019...
While Silicon Valley's lordin' it up on tech, freakish natural phenomena are threatening the very livelihood of billions in the world. Wars won't be just fought over elements or minerals needed for batteries (a new war in all ready war torn nation looks to be coming up), but over water too. For instance take a look at the Geopolitical situation with China and India. The majority of all India's water comes from the Himalayas, and who owns the glacial sources and is damming them up? What happens when tensions rise, and when politicians want to flex their might as a tool of 'negotiation?' Oops, no more water for you people out there. This is also happening in the Middle East and Africa too (Damming of the Nile most specifically). This and much much MUCH more. Also, look at how California burnt last year, soon many parts of California may be uninhabitable by that many people due to water shortages and wildfires. a migration might occur (this has and is happening much too often)...
I'll end with, what's the use of AI's if we can't find water and gotta drink our own piss? Let me tell you, I ain't no Bear Grylls or a Mountain Goat...

I'm interested to hear your opinion and anybody else!

melo_toni

blob
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Hello Vaporghoul, this is my first substantial reply on this site and my intention is to generate interesting dialogue/discussion rather than incite argument. I'm very passionate about nature and its incredibly important role it will play this century. Please don't take any offence to my ramblings. I will keep politics (that's the type of s**T I don't like) at a skeletal minimum.

I'm curious to understand why you believe nature will keep up behind? We need to cooperate with nature now more than ever before; take a look at what has happened in Texas (aside from the political ramifications of private-companies lordin' it up); they never accounted for extreme weather and didn't plan for it, but it came anyways. Without getting political (let us please not not invoke conspiracy theories here), we could say our scoffing at nature was a significant contribution to the spillover of CoViD from bats to humans.
Technology is great yes, but look at what we do when we use it? Most of the greatest technological innovations are used for marketers to create a behavioral profile of you (not you specifically but you in the plural sense, like the archaic but the infinitely amusing ye) based on data science, create a nice little profile of us, bundle them up and sell them to advertisers who believe their ads would convince you to buy into whatever doohickey they peddle. This online advertising market which Google innovated and rules, was worth more than the entire oil market of 2019...
While Silicon Valley's lordin' it up on tech, freakish natural phenomena are threatening the very livelihood of billions in the world. Wars won't be just fought over elements or minerals needed for batteries (a new war in all ready war torn nation looks to be coming up), but over water too. For instance take a look at the Geopolitical situation with China and India. The majority of all India's water comes from the Himalayas, and who owns the glacial sources and is damming them up? What happens when tensions rise, and when politicians want to flex their might as a tool of 'negotiation?' Oops, no more water for you people out there. This is also happening in the Middle East and Africa too (Damming of the Nile most specifically). This and much much MUCH more. Also, look at how California burnt last year, soon many parts of California may be uninhabitable by that many people due to water shortages and wildfires. a migration might occur (this has and is happening much too often)...
I'll end with, what's the use of AI's if we can't find water and gotta drink our own piss? Let me tell you, I ain't no Bear Grylls or a Mountain Goat...

I'm interested to hear your opinion and anybody else!
I find the distinction between man and nature pretty arbitrary and inaccurate, much like the distinction between humans and animals. Just as humans are animals, man is a part of nature and always has been. We need to be more mindful of our role in the ecosystems of the world and learn to coexist with Earth's other inhabitants. Unfortunately, a certain economic system won't take any steps towards this goal unless it becomes immediately profitable to shareholders.

Also, my quiet is going on walks at 1 am through my town. There's a nice path that goes to a park right near my place. I like walking in the woods with nothing but the moonlight and some faint glows of distant buildings and streetlamps to guide me.

vaporghoul

どこにいますか?
Reaction score
Awards
I'm curious to understand why you believe nature will keep up behind?
This is all a big misunderstanding lol, I agree a bunch, I just meant im not one who's like "all natural organic blah blah blah". I was mainly aiming at people who don't like x thing because its not "natural" (vaccines, gmos, nuclear energy etc.)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

This is all a big misunderstanding lol, I agree a bunch, I just meant im not one who's like "all natural organic blah blah blah". I was mainly aiming at people who don't like x thing because its not "natural" (vaccines, gmos, nuclear energy etc.)
Ah gotcha! Sorry for coming at you like a whirlwind, I get a little too into things sometimes...
I've had many people in the past explain to me that nature is just a place to play around in and pretty much stands in the way of development, and extraction of natural resources such as fracking etc...
And true too! Just because something may be natural doesn't make it good; I wouldn't want to be taking cobra venom because it's a great antioxidant and better than some chemical.

Reaction score
Awards
My quiet usually is the sound of a fan or air conditioner whirring in a cold room. It is really relaxing, it puts me in quite an inspired mood. A feeling of almost giddy disobedience washes over me if you get what I mean. Surprisingly this feeling only bubbles up when I am at somebody else's house lol. Mostly it just helps my overactive brain to stop and just be for a moment whenever I am in a familiar place. It helps me relax a lot whenever I am having a high amount of anxiety. Another thing that is my quiet is deep water ambience, I adore the almost anxious relaxation that it gives me. As much as I love nature sounds though, I usually cannot say its my true quiet. Its the nature surrounding me that relaxes me the most, if that makes any sense lol. Sort of like how I can put on nature ambiance but it doesn't have the same effect as actually being out in nature. I probably strayed a bit from what the actual topic was, so apologies for that, but I really enjoy this topic and will do a little more looking into it! Thanks for posting.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporghoul

どこにいますか?
Reaction score
Awards
Ah gotcha! Sorry for coming at you like a whirlwind, I get a little too into things sometimes...
I've had many people in the past explain to me that nature is just a place to play around in and pretty much stands in the way of development, and extraction of natural resources such as fracking etc...
And true too! Just because something may be natural doesn't make it good; I wouldn't want to be taking cobra venom because it's a great antioxidant and better than some chemical.
Ah don't apologize, it was a good read, considering the forums discussion is either about politics where the other completely misrepresents the other or calls them every name in the book, or just really small talk things.

Also whoever said that nature is the one standing the way is completely insane, you kind of have to cooperate with it or you'd just be stuck as nature has the greatest array of individual power.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

Ah don't apologize, it was a good read, considering the forums discussion is either about politics where the other completely misrepresents the other or calls them every name in the book, or just really small talk things.

Also whoever said that nature is the one standing the way is completely insane, you kind of have to cooperate with it or you'd just be stuck as nature has the greatest array of individual power.
I'm glad you found it a good read! There's much much more that could be added to these topics, as they are still evolving but the root of the issue remains the same; the conflict between development and conservation. This issue is worldwide and can be hard to take sides on when it comes to different countries, especially poorer and more developing ones which frankly don't have the money and the incentive to protect their environment, as they see protecting some resources and throwing away free money. I can somewhat understand these issues and sometimes straddle the fence of conservation and development in developing nations.
But, when it comes to highly developed nations, such as the USA and Canada (from my diminutive understanding of EU nations, I believe they are doing a better job than USA by initiating Clean Energy projects - in general, as many nations are part of the EU and each and every country has their own host of issues - I lean more towards conservation and much less towards development, and for MANY reasons. Without going into too much detail, as this topic is incredibly rich, bad management on all levels of governance along with lax regulations on developers, issues with transportation, and lack of drive for clean energy.
You wouldn't believe the things I've heard while working for some National Parks... some have suggested making a nice golf course there, others suggested logging forests and giving the locals jobs, letting cattle graze on NP lands (this sometimes does legally happen, but it all depends on many things), blowing up gorgeous natural sculptures in Bears Ears to extract resources:)justNo:), and... ugh, some people are too high on their ideologies to even attempt an understanding of the natural world... and just to add climate science is not and SHOULD NEVER be political. No matter who you are or where you live, nobody on Earth is safe from climate change!