What is your "quiet"?

Blue

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Living in a flat, my quiet is listening to the lives going on around and above me. The arguing from upstairs, somebody playing Ghibli themes on an upright piano, toilet flushing.

melo_toni

blob
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Living in a flat, my quiet is listening to the lives going on around and above me. The arguing from upstairs, somebody playing Ghibli themes on an upright piano, toilet flushing.
True, I find the knowledge that there are other people around me just living their lives oddly comforting. Especially in these times, when it's rare to get to see people in person.

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
I can't stand a silent room, thanks to years upon years of being conditioned to get used to the sound of a fan that was on 24/7 due to the oppressive outside heat.

As a result, I find it very difficult to sleep without it, as my mind has noting to "latch onto" for a lack of a better term. Not to mention, no fan noise = no fan = uncomfortably hot room, and that alone is enough to annoy me.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

I can't stand a silent room, thanks to years upon years of being conditioned to get used to the sound of a fan that was on 24/7 due to the oppressive outside heat.

As a result, I find it very difficult to sleep without it, as my mind has noting to "latch onto" for a lack of a better term. Not to mention, no fan noise = no fan = uncomfortably hot room, and that alone is enough to annoy me.
Ah, very perceptive you mentioned the mind latching onto things. This is an important concept in some Buddhist traditions, and one I'm struggling to try and understand better.

VirtualDepravity

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
My quiet really depends on the mood I'm in that day. Sometimes i love city noises, other times i just like complete silence. It usually changes daily, when i have a lot of work, where I just use existing knowledge (as in i don't have to learn anything new) my quiet is some Vaporwave in the background with the occasional discord message sound, that soothes me because i feel like things are happening around me, but when i have to digest new knowledge i usually like to (or have to) be in complete silence.

Virtual Cafe Awards

FlintGhost

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
The feeling of being alone, either in nature or at home. Knowing that no one else is in the house really brings a bout of "silence" to me. Noises can be happening outside, music can be playing. I lived alone for about 5 and a half years in a tiny studio which was amazing. After a while I can kind of feel myself watching myself and that gets a little weird, but it allows me to get up and walk around, change perspectives. Constantly thinking and running ideas through my head.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MugiNism

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
My quiet is going to a Spot i know where i can see a pretty big chunk of madrid while being in nature and just being silent and relaxed.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
My quiet usually is the sound of a fan or air conditioner whirring in a cold room. It is really relaxing, it puts me in quite an inspired mood. A feeling of almost giddy disobedience washes over me if you get what I mean. Surprisingly this feeling only bubbles up when I am at somebody else's house lol. Mostly it just helps my overactive brain to stop and just be for a moment whenever I am in a familiar place. It helps me relax a lot whenever I am having a high amount of anxiety. Another thing that is my quiet is deep water ambience, I adore the almost anxious relaxation that it gives me. As much as I love nature sounds though, I usually cannot say its my true quiet. Its the nature surrounding me that relaxes me the most, if that makes any sense lol. Sort of like how I can put on nature ambiance but it doesn't have the same effect as actually being out in nature. I probably strayed a bit from what the actual topic was, so apologies for that, but I really enjoy this topic and will do a little more looking into it! Thanks for posting.
I think you stayed exactly on topic, and yes I agree that actual nature is the best. If I may pontificate and expand, I think its because after long enough listening to an apps version of nature you catch on to the loop of the recording and its patterns. Actual nature is so unpredictable and subject to change in a way that it brings our brain back to its ancestral state that it was forged under.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Adrenochrome

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
And true too! Just because something may be natural doesn't make it good; I wouldn't want to be taking cobra venom because it's a great antioxidant and better than some chemical.
Yes! I'd also add that traditional / organic farming would probably not be able to support half of the population currently on earth, nevermind the potential 3 other billion that are gonna pop up in the next century.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
A cabin in the winter sitting at my desk writing whatever comes to my mind in the form of worldbuilding.

Virtual Cafe Awards