What obscure knowledge do you have?

Chao Tse-Tung

Chairman of the Deep-State Cabal, KEC
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
aoaed-official.neocities.org
Can be anything, from random trivia to specific game tips to life advice to how something is made/done to your weird magick occult schizo stuff or anything in-between and outside, I'm sure the members of this community have some cool knowledge to share.

(And no, how to make a bomb is not obscure knowledge, go get the cookbook for that shit, don't make the Road look like some sorta boogie-meet-up)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Dragonball started out as a parody of Journey to the East.

DragonballZ is an anime exclusive name, the original manga was never call DragonballZ.

The first wish made on the dragon balls was for a pair of panties.

Dragonball wasn't as popular in the west, so it didn't get an official English translation until after DragonballZ.

Son Goku is the Japanese pronunciation of Wu Kong, who he is a parody of.

Every character's name in Dragonball is a gag.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Dragonball started out as a parody of Journey to the East.

DragonballZ is an anime exclusive name, the original manga was never call DragonballZ.

The first wish made on the dragon balls was for a pair of panties.

Dragonball wasn't as popular in the west, so it didn't get an official English translation until after DragonballZ.

Son Goku is the Japanese pronunciation of Wu Kong, who he is a parody of.

Every character's name in Dragonball is a gag.
Damn, that one goes deep, good to know!

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
In Germany, there was a schoolgirl that tried to commit a school massacre but failed. She was released so she then tried again at her new school.
Strangely enough, she is not the first case of this happening.

View: https://youtu.be/iRa_cSZ-Hag

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
In Germany, there was a schoolgirl that tried to commit a school massacre but failed. She was released so she then tried again at her new school.
Strangely enough, she is not the first case of this happening.

View: https://youtu.be/iRa_cSZ-Hag

Haha holy shit, them krauts always go through it a couple times before they learn their lessons

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
In other oddly specific mass shooter knowledge, William Atchison owned an alien fleshlight which he disposed of by throwing into a lake next to his target, Aztec High School. Anders Breivik also gifted his mother a vibrator after she broke up with her boyfriend.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chao Tse-Tung

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
In other oddly specific mass shooter knowledge, William Atchison owned an alien fleshlight which he disposed of by throwing into a lake next to his target, Aztec High School. Anders Breivik also gifted his mother a vibrator after she broke up with her boyfriend.
Mydadiscar, more like mass-muder-nardwuar amirite

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Mydadiscar, more like mass-muder-nardwuar amirite
I tried to think of the most wacky and interesting things I know, glowies I have plenty of interests and knowledge about a wide variety of things.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
The longest word in Greek literature is 171 characters long. Source.
And of course it's Aristophanes who did this stuff.

Virtual Cafe Awards
For some reason, I used to obsessed with copyright law and the intellectual property market in high school- so I still know A LOT about how that kind of stuff works.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 3578

Amateur Sega historian here!

Let me tell you a tale about the Sega Saturn. In retrospect, the Saturn was one of two big mistake Sega made that doomed their console business. The first being the 32x. If you don't know, the 32x was an add for the Genesis/Mega Drive that boosted the 16bit machine into a pseudo 32bit machine. It was an expensive failure with a small library and soured consumers. By the time it came out, people were anticipating not only the Saturn itself, but the Playstation and still vague Nintendo 64.

The 32x was the brainchild of Sega of America. They figured with the Genesis' high install base, a $150 add on would attract a large portion of that base - folks that either wouldn't jump on to the 5th generation right or at all, could have a budget friendly option. Sega of Japan had mixed feelings. Over there, the money was on the Saturn. Sega of Japan expected their consumers to ditch the Genesis and hop on the Saturn. The 32x would only put more work on the table. But ultimately SoJ president, Hayao Nakayama, liked what SoA came up with and greenlit the 32x.

The 32x bombed. It would start getting drastic prices drops within months. Consumers, critics and other media outlets started portraying Sega as opportunistic and anti-consumerist. Gamers weren't impressed enough with the library on offer to not keep their money and wait for the next gen.

This is where things end up splitting hard between the American and Japanese Sega branches. In Japan, Sega had never great success in the home console market. While their earliest effort, the variations of the SG-1000 did ok as a cost efficient alternative to the Famicom, the Master System and Mega Drive hit with a thud. Europe would be the sole territory were Sega were kings of the console market, until Tec Toy started producing Sega consoles in Brazil. The Genesis blew up in America, so much so that SoA had developed a strong working relationship and collaboration with SoJ. The failure of the 32x dashed that deep partnership. Sega of Japan would ensure the Saturn was the Japanese.

Throughout the Saturn's development, SoA and SoJ would but heads on what companies to partner with for hardware, and what the console's performance focuses should be. SoJ would almost always disregard suggestions from SoA. It was also a generally troubled development, with course changes and strange choices being made on the fly as they learned more about their competitors projects. Sega would be rolling out a 2D scaling beast of a machine that was difficult to program for, in a generation that would focus on 3D and triangles. They would announce a surprise early launch at E3 that would turn away many American distributers from even selling the $399 console. Sony would follow their presentation by just saying "$299." Sega would never recover in America.

But, SoJ considered the Saturn a success. Their aim was to shun international focus and make a console for Japan. It came with a launch library of titles that were all in-house developed. They covered every genre, sports, platformers, puzzle, RPG, action, etc. They would do an initiative to re-introduce Sonic to a Japanese audience that weren't really familiar with him or his games. They would do ports of their arcade classics that could finally be on par with the originals. Their internal mission statement was to finally have the #1 console in Japan. The Saturn was the #1 selling console in Japan, until the Playstation dropped. The window was short, but Sega of Japan achieved their goal.

----
post-script
----

The Saturn has gone on to have a strong niche of appreciators and fans. It's still a popular system for retro gaming in Japan and elsewhere - largely because of it's strong arcade ports and fantastic 2D visuals. In recent years it's also seen an uptick in the hacking and translation community - bringing some sought after game experiences into English, such as the Saturn versions of Policenauts and Grandia.

The 32x continues to have little fan fare and is still seen as bumbling mistake at best.

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Why, allow me to provide just some examples. My head is full of useless knowledge, some of which even I will never be able to put into any kind of practice. I won't even touch video games and code for this one. Here we go.

Electronic music is extremely pleasant to look at. When you clear a vinyl disc of electronic music, you can visually see every pop and click, every imperfection in a precisely laid out beat.
smol.jpg
big.PNG

Old Cadillac V12 and V16 engines have somewhat unusual V-angle of only 45 degrees. To top that, the ignition system fills the valley between cylinder heads, and the intake ports are on the outside of each head rather than inside. Because of all that, it is impossible to put a classic supercharger on top of those engines. It is still possible to supercharge such an engine with a classic blower, but you will have to put the supercharger in front of the engine, and it will require a lot of custom piping... among other things. I wish I could draw cars. AI can't draw shit when it comes to mechanical things, especially obscure ones. Fuck AI.

Pandas have little thumblike appendages that they use to hold bamboo.
Elephants have breasts rather than udders. Those only become visible after first pregnancy, but it is still a rather peculiar thing, because there are two of them, they are located between their forelegs and overall look quite human-like.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deerhunter

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
while arguably not obscure i don't see a lot of people bring it up when talking about him. Tommy Wright the 3rd used his Criminal record as the cover art for his second album. even his SS and his charges for his arrest are here. the SS most likely doesnt work anymore but the fact he put one there to begin with is honestly wild.
Screenshot_2024-01-23_18-59-18.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

jonathan_fluoride

blue enjoyer
Reaction score
Awards
from talking to a lot of people with absolutely zero sense of history, they seem to believe that society before some arbitrary modern/near-modern date was just filled with a bunch of simple hillbillies and a king that lorded over them. so here's a big rambling passage on financial bureaucracy in the oldest civilization on earth, mesopotamia.

usury, arbitrage, mortgages, lawsuits, shareholders, commodity futures, and being stuck as a RENTOID are all as old as the written word. as soon as humanity figured out how to write shit down, schemes to rob suckers blind were already well underway. here are a few examples. "hey i'm a big rich noble/temple member and i have all this land i don't know wtf to do with!" no worries. first give it all over to your army of a million slave clerks and scribes. they will then go and lease a big chunk of your land to a big money hoarder family at a markup price. then they will go and lease it to sub-agents at a 2x markup price. then they will go lease it to local land managers at a 3x markup price. finally we can rent out tiny parcels of the land to farmers with no land of their own at another ludicrous markup. what! they don't have the money to buy seeding and plow, and also pay taxes AND rent AND irrigation fees AND harvest/threshing/transport/storage fees? good thing we have a loan shark office right next to the lessor office! all they have to do is put up their sons and daughters as collateral and we can give them a 33% interest loan paid in barley on top of all of their other payments. if they still somehow can't pay, we can just take their kids and also kick them off the rented land and install someone else so we can get some more juicy debt. for examples, look into the Murashu family of Nippur.

but uh oh. here's another problem. i'm a rich guy and i just don't have enough money or things to do! well here's something fun. temples in mesopotamia were actually corporations. you didn't get a "salary" for working for them. instead, each role was attached to an "office," or a share in temple income that you're entitled to. what this means is that if you secure the office of a janitor, you're entitled to 1/X of the temple's income. the good news is you can just have a slave do the work for you and just sit there and get dat fat dividend payout. or! if you get lucky, you can secure the temple administrator office. now you can just give every office to your family members and take ALL the temple income, and the best part is, none of you have to do any work because all those peasant kids you got as collateral from your farm debtors can just do all of it for you! (but actually, slaves in high temple positions existed, and there was even one during the Achaemenid days who was so good at his job he embezzled a fortune, got caught and sued on multiple occasions, and still kept his position -- forget his name, but might be a man named Gimillu)

some more things you could do. you could literally buy the rights to collect taxes. imagine if you could paid the government all of their expected 2024 taxes at a discounted rate in 2023, and when tax season for 2024 came, you just got all of the actual taxes. you could buy out an entire village and turn them into an industrial settlement. no more farming. go make shoes. and then sell all of the shoes. you could go buy a shitton of barley at harvest prices in a big farming city and then sail to a city in bumfuck nowhere and sell at pre-harvest (high) prices and make a killing. you could also buy all the boats in a city so that the fucker who decides to do that previous scheme has to pay you a million dollars just to be able to do that.

Virtual Cafe Awards