What other types of music are yall into?

shiftycomfort

Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I mean beside vaporwave and its affiliated subgenres.
I just gotta know!
Me I'm a life long punk rocker, just got into metal ie. Death black sludge doom, but I love me some baroque music, Bach mostly. This week I've discovered opera is something I really enjoy listening to while working. But I'll listen to anything. Phew okay go!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Peterson

Home&Office to achieve maximum success
Reaction score
Awards
Website
open.spotify.com
Actually mostly stuff that vaporwave draws influence from in one way or another - 70s/80s jazz and jazz fusion, 70s/80s electronic music, 70s/80s library music, video game music. And above all else Yellow Magic Orchestra and everything each member of YMO has done. Ryuichi Sakamoto is like a god to me. I really hope to be able to see him perform live sometime. I feel extremely fortunate that I was able to see Haruomi Hosono in New York last year.

Virtual Cafe Awards

shiftycomfort

Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Andy Peterson said:
Actually mostly stuff that vaporwave draws influence from in one way or another - 70s/80s jazz and jazz fusion, 70s/80s electronic music, 70s/80s library music, video game music. And above all else Yellow Magic Orchestra and everything each member of YMO has done. Ryuichi Sakamoto is like a god to me. I really hope to be able to see him perform live sometime. I feel extremely fortunate that I was able to see Haruomi Hosono in New York last year.

Got any YMO album recommendations?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Peterson

Reaction score
Awards
Website
open.spotify.com
shiftycomfort said:
Andy Peterson said:

Got any YMO album recommendations?

There's not a bad one really. Maybe start with either Solid State Survivor which is the peak of their techno-pop/disco sounding stuff -- or BGM which is the start of their more textured and sophisticated sounding stuff. My personal favorite might be Naughty Boys, but really they're all great.

Edit: To clarify, the pre-BGM stuff is also sophisticated sounding, it's not like they were goofing around. It's just that BGM sort of put them into their own genre whereas before they might have been more easily classified as this or that.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1066

Synthwave and synthmusic in general I really enjoy, besides Lo-Fi and ambient (during spring and summer mostly) that's kinda the extend of relaxing music I listen to... maybe psychedelic.
On the other side of the coin: I really like doom and sludge metal
My favorite band is definetly CONAN but Electric Wizard and Acid Bath are great too.
Stoner rock is great too but everything is better than the radio at my workplace.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhaiAEvEiFI

shiftycomfort

Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
ScaffoldedBuilding said:
Synthwave and synthmusic in general I really enjoy, besides Lo-Fi and ambient (during spring and summer mostly) that's kinda the extend of relaxing music I listen to... maybe psychedelic.
My favorite band is definetly CONAN but Electric Wizard and Acid Bath are great too.
Stoner rock is great too but everything is better than the radio at my workplace.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhaiAEvEiFI

Electric Wizard is the best! I have heard of Conan through their split with Slomatics, which you should check out, also Dopethrone, the band, is wicked as fuck.

[youtube]
]View: https://youtu.be/98xB8CQTjSs[/youtube]

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1066

shiftycomfort said:
ScaffoldedBuilding said:

Electric Wizard is the best! I have heard of Conan through their split with Slomatics, which you should check out, also Dopethrone, the band, is wicked as fuck.

Yeay dopethrone is pretty epic, kinda like acid bath.

Ghospis

old Bossa Nova , is totally different from what i make but it has so much charisma and makes for good sampling for Lo-fi beats.

gur0chan

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
i'm really into dark stuff .
three 6 mafia
old tyler
suicideboys
&
ghostemane

all pretty good stuff :)

laCroix日食

"A world were oceans are made of sparkling water"
Reaction score
Awards
I really like the aesthetics of early 00's european hip hop music. I know, that's very oddly specific, but I just love it. Old demos and mixtapes from now well established rappers or even from people who never actually made it... that's my kink.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Peterson

Reaction score
Awards
Website
open.spotify.com
Ghospis said:
old Bossa Nova , is totally different from what i make but it has so much charisma and makes for good sampling for Lo-fi beats.

Got any bossa nova recommendations? I know João Gilberto and that's about it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

DaveSpeedo

Enjoying the modest way of life.
Reaction score
Well...I truly listen everything. From classical music to depressing black metal. I was raised on rock music, which makes it closest to me. My favorite genres are AOR, ambient, emo, country, slowcore (or anything sad really), black metal & 60s psychedelia.

Greg_Delta

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
"everything" is a cliche'd answer, but it's true. Funk, rock/metal, pop, some hip hop here and there, jazz, classical

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eis-T

The Taste of Late Capitalism
Reaction score
Awards
Website
eis-t.bandcamp.com
It always surprised me how little trip-hop influences there are in Vaporwave!

I grew up on Big Beat (chemical brothers, the prodigy, propellerheads, fatboy slim, etc) and that music still has a special place in my heart. Together with Ursula's Cardridges I released "Play It Loud", an ode in the shape of an album to this short-lived music genre. Currently, thanks to the band I play in, I'm more into 80's synth-pop/new wave. Orchestral Maneuvers in the dark, New Order, Ultravox, Roxette, etc.
But to be honest 90% of the time I listen to vaporwave. There's so much good stuff coming out, and so many classics I haven't even played yet. I'm a huge Catsystem Corp. fan but there are still some of his releases that are unplayed in my music library. so much music, so little time!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 795

Well, I won't say "everything", although it's pretty close. There's still a good chunk I ignore, though, invariably because the guiding principles behind those types of efforts results in "product" and not "music".

There's a difference? Yep. "Product" is what results when you combine musicians and equipment under the sole intent of making money. "Music" is anything else that's, like Varese said, "organized sound"...creating that same combination again, but this time the music is there because the profit motive is WAAAAAY down on the list of importances. It's also worth noting that art should always have an element of risk present; creating formulaic rubbish of any sort is anything but risky, especially when labels are funding you to the hilt to do that.

But there's an underlying problem there. Now, let's say you start producing in a musical style that takes formulaic rubbish and repurposes it via a conceptual mandate to STEAL some of those rubbish sources and radically alter them into a very different (albeit quite related) form. Gee...that sounds kinda familiar...

So, yeah...all of this kicks me back to the later part of my undergrad work, when my composition prof pointed out that "...the main task of any composer is to LISTEN. If you're not listening, you don't know what to do...or NOT to do." So I've even reached the point where some of the utter crap that's persisted from vaporwave's primary "source period" is stuff I listen to...with MUCH cringing about the generally awful rottenness of radio music from a time when I refused to listen to the radio. However, even panning for gold in THAT art-sewer yields paydirt if you're creative enough on the fly to start de- and reconstructing a track so that you can sort out whether its worth dealing with something you find.

Lost Lands

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Aside from Vaporwave and it's subs. Emotive Hardcore is big for me. Everything from Midwest Emo to Skramz. Goth is also a big genre for me (post punk, gothic rock, darkwave, cold wave and deathrock). I have a soft spot for old school hip hop and grunge as well. Also been starting to get into more Synthwave.

vaporghoul

どこにいますか?
Reaction score
Awards
I think I've already established that vaporwave and it's subs are the main music I listen to, but besides that I'm really into synthwave (HOME, Emil Rottmayer) and prog rock. Hell, prog rock is what got me into vaporwave.

Virtual Cafe Awards