What song/album made you fall in love with vaporwave?

vaporghoul

どこにいますか?
Reaction score
Awards
Everybody says they started with floral shoppe, however usually another project in the vaporwave scene at the time is what really made them think of vaporwave as more of serious (if at sometimes ironic) genre that's incredibly rich and full of depth. Personally the albums that made me up my appreciation was the computer trilogy by infinity frequencies. It made me think of more of vaporwave as a more perspective taking view of the past trying to craft a story than just meaningless 80's nostalgia.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Blokebuster

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I've first listened to vaporwave inside a pub in Rome. One of the barmen played from youtube a vaporwave live video and I got interested. Once I asked him the title of the video he replied he couldn't remember it, but it was a music genre called vaporwave. Some time later I looked for it on Youtube and stumbled upon this video+music vaporwave compilation.

View: https://youtu.be/QPAHVS-e1NM

Fell in love with it. How relaxing it sounded and at the same time alienating. Still today it's one of my favourite mixes.
Only in late 2019 I listened to a proper full lenght album: Late Night Delight by luxury elite and Saint Pepsi. And then it went on and on with other works

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
私にとって、それは最初のアルバム、カラット事件でした。蒸気波が始まった年にデンバーでのショーでそれらを見ることができました、それらは積極的に電気的でした。カラットは私が購入して完全に聴いた最初のアルバムであり、それ以来、私は自分の音楽を作るために最善を尽くしてきました

Virtual Cafe Awards

kliffi

Yung Jinjo
Reaction score
Awards
for me there were a lot of moments where all my preconceived notions of what vaporwave is were reconfigured, but two stand out right now:

骨架的 - microwave

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD064_ifO7w

The first vaporwave I heard was a video to a song from Hit Vibes, and I thought it was groovy as hell, but at that point vaporwave seemed more like a cool and retro alternative to EDM. When I found this record, though, it blew my mind. It connected the dots from the sound of stuff like Tangerine Dream's Phaedra to the twee cyberhorror of Earthbound to the lo-fi buzz of contemporary music like Neon Indian's Pyschic Chasms (I was huge on this album at the time) and all through the early digital "vaporwave" sample base, and I was hooked from then on: vaporwave is a technique to make any music you can imagine and even music you couldn't have imagined without the revelation of a sample's specific texture.

New Gaia - Nightfall Aboard

View: https://youtu.be/Da8MuNIYLwE?t=402

This track blew my mind out of my ears. Where the sounds of chop and screw have been explored almost exhaustively in beat-making for decades, I had never heard a great melody that seemingly could only have been produced by a sample chop; it's so organic and melismatic to the point of making the actual *sound of the chop* indispensable to the arc of the melody. I remember listening to this record on repeat on a flight to Detroit, and I've been a vaporgoon ever since.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

I just like electronic music. I fell in VW because it was/is a refreshing community

I came from a rock background and in that scene everyone is a dick. everyone is putting each other down for not being the "right" kind of rock or just spouting jealous nonsense and personal attacks.

in vaporwave, that isn't the case. everyone is on the same level, everyone supports each other, everyone has a chance to be heard, no one is shitting on each other, everyone is encouraged at any skill level, everyone in a way has created their own aesthtic or musical subgenre and everyone is willing to listen give others a shot.

it's a very open community, you don't even have to sound a certain way in order to be accepted or get people to listen, at least that's what I've found.

In the rock community, my music would be trashed for using drum machines, synth, digital amps, or whatever. in the VW community though, I get actual criticism, advice, and discussion about the MUSIC.

VW feels more like a club, almost like a very expansive collective in a way, where we're all part of this movement together. It feels like comradery.

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
I just like electronic music. I fell in VW because it was/is a refreshing community

I came from a rock background and in that scene everyone is a dick. everyone is putting each other down for not being the "right" kind of rock or just spouting jealous nonsense and personal attacks.

in vaporwave, that isn't the case. everyone is on the same level, everyone supports each other, everyone has a chance to be heard, no one is shitting on each other, everyone is encouraged at any skill level, everyone in a way has created their own aesthtic or musical subgenre and everyone is willing to listen give others a shot.

it's a very open community, you don't even have to sound a certain way in order to be accepted or get people to listen, at least that's what I've found.

In the rock community, my music would be trashed for using drum machines, synth, digital amps, or whatever. in the VW community though, I get actual criticism, advice, and discussion about the MUSIC.

VW feels more like a club, almost like a very expansive collective in a way, where we're all part of this movement together. It feels like comradery.
私は同意する傾向があります。新しいジャンルとして、蒸気波は新しいアイデアに開かれています。参加してから歴史の一部だと感じ、爽快感があります。

Virtual Cafe Awards

minorminer

In all honesty it was this fucking song lmfao

I was so entranced and movin my lil body about to it in 2016. I was hooked. And then I moved on to more vapor from whence I made it to this:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OAs6Y5jjXrA

and THEN I fell in love with all the comments around the vapor too and I knew I was home <3 :

1653899985637.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

disco

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki-fATpXa00&ab_channel=ElFamosoDemon

My friend showed me Saint Pepsi in 2015, this song specifically. I had never heard anything like it. What fascinated me was how important the music video is in vaporwave. Or even only the still images shown. When browsing vaporwave music on YouTube, I admit I follow whichever thumbnails look the most appealing. It's a big part of the experience in my opinion...way more so than with other genres.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
I'll be honest... I just downloaded Midnight Plaza, opened it, and went... "Yoooo, this is awesome". No idea what song it was that struck me in particular, which I feel sad about. In a way, though, I almost feel that's symbolic of Vaporwave culture.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Screen.Thief

Agora Road Beachcomber
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtube.com
Not strictly vaporwave but Agony by the Beach Fossils has the same vibe, makes me wanna die every time I listen to it....

Attachments

• 1DA4A706-6934-4F34-8E75-BDA42FB56602.jpeg
    1DA4A706-6934-4F34-8E75-BDA42FB56602.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 47
Virtual Cafe Awards