What vintage macs do you own?

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
:) Here i have a Macintosh SE/30s that i found on the side of the road with a bunch of keyboards. Only one of them is working but i need to save up for a Floppy Emulator drive to really get this going!
Post what you got below!

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Just picked up Macintosh classic 2 on offer up for $20
20200222-195553.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

dullkedo

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I have an iMac G3 which is the computer on which my father taught me to make websites when I was a toddler.
I tried resurrecting it a few times but the OS doesn't load and one time I think I broke a plastic piece off. It's basically impossible to disassemble, so I guess it will remain dead.
Aesthetic tho :)

Apple-iMac-G3.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

dullkedo

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
They are super hard to repair today. The plastic clips can be super brittle. Your best bet would be to see if you can find replacement plastics and then go to town. The CRTs at this point are all starting to fail though. They start with strange color flickering that you can barley see, then it goes to a starange color hue, then dead.
Yeah, I thought about it, but at some point there's a "Ship of Theseus" question... That Mac has more value to me as a memory than as anything else. I can probably relive the experience using some simulator.

I still get tingles when I hear the Mac startup sound today, it hasn't changed since then.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
親戚や友人から受け継いだマッキントッシュコンピュータをいくつか持っています。用途の広いコンピューターですが、コモドールほど良くはありません。

Virtual Cafe Awards

Radical

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I have an iMac G3 which is the computer on which my father taught me to make websites when I was a toddler.
I tried resurrecting it a few times but the OS doesn't load and one time I think I broke a plastic piece off. It's basically impossible to disassemble, so I guess it will remain dead.

Apple-iMac-G3.png
Beautiful. I had the exact same model when I was in high school. The first computer that was truly my own.

Sadly, I've moved too many times and lived in too many cramped apartments to keep all my old macs.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
I'd take an Amiga LOL. I used 4000s and A1200s for TV production back in the day.
ええ、それらは有用性の点でリンゴよりもはるかに優れていました

一部のアップルコレクターにとっての魅力は、彼らがいかにクールに見えるかということだと思います。古いアップルコンピュータは本当に見るのがクールなものです。たとえそれがその約束を果たせなかったとしても、それは初期の技術革新を表しています。

Virtual Cafe Awards

Blokebuster

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
When I was a kid and the Performas were in the library I remember being able to pick up on the attention to detail of the Macs and I think thats what got me hooked. There was just something about them that drew me in. I had zero interest in computers until I saw my first Mac. When I used the Amiga I thought they were great machines.....but the OS needed the same attention to detail. They were solid machines and never let me down. The Video Toaster ran flawlessly and Scala never went down. One of the Scala A1200s went 5 years without a reboot. So they are solid machines. I just with they had more polish on the software interface side. I remember hating the mouse pointer for one. The workbench idea was interesting. But hardware was spot on and industrial design was right up there with the Mac. There is just something about the OS that bugs me.
I already posted it in the past, but it's always worth it. I got a Macintosh Plus. It was my father's from an old studio he worked in. after some years in our basement, I brought upstairs and gave him a new aesthetic purpose

Attachments

• photo6033108808454223358.jpg
    photo6033108808454223358.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 74
Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
These are totally possible to disassemble, you just have to get over the fact that it feels like you're about to break the plastic as you pull up on the bottom case. There are a bunch of service manuals out there for all the older Apple stuff, just search "service source" + your model. Have done it myself when I replaced blown speakers in my G3. They aren't as brittle as the horrific creaking when you pull on them implies.

Virtual Cafe Awards