What was your first computer system?

reQverb

zen and back again
Reaction score
Awards
Website
soundcloud.com
it was a shitty 486, that i had built out of thrift store salvaged computers.

also fucked around on a c64 quite a bit, which i still have:
https://i.imgur.com/vuV8srp.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Blue

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm old. My first "computer" was am Mattel Intellivision, I still have it. Then came C64 with a cassette deck, later upgraded to a floppy drive. You had to cut a small piece of off the floppy if you wanted to use both sides of it..or does my memory make up stuff of it's own..? And the cassette deck you could adjust with a screw driver.

I was so jealous to a couple of my friends who got Amiga 500, that was the best shit back then. Then Leisure Suit Larry on B&W PC that had something like 16KB of RAM and that was a lot.

I also had a C-cassette 4-track recorder, faux wood panels and all.. but the coolest thing was El-cassette; a friend had a player and a bunch of cassettes from the 70's.. they were like huge C-cassettes with a really good sound,sounded like vinyls.

♡抹茶の空想♡

matcha daydreams
Reaction score
I think I was in kindergarten or first grade when my gram got me my purple Compaq Presario desktop personal computer. It was the love of my life, and I was beyond heartbroken when the hardware developed issues when I was 19. Long story short, after it became unusable, I had no choice but to leave it behind when I moved. I had no way to transport it and nowhere to store it. I still mourn. :'(

shiftycomfort

Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
an old hp from an older cousin, don't remember the model, but it had less than a gig of space, 95-96 i think cause it had windows 95, lol, i remember printing pictures of "swimsuit models" and it taking forever, and my rents came home and i smashed the off button on the tower and yanked the picture outta the printer as they where walking in the door, pheww lad. ;D

Virtual Cafe Awards

Guru Meditation

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
One of these, hooked up to a black and white TV.
laser-310-color-computer.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
Not sure what model, but it had Windows XP in it.
Same here. Memory's fuzzy, but I know for sure it was XP because I played space cadet pinball damn near 24/7.

Also, I'm positive it was one of those old Gateways because I distinctly remember that cow logo.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
幼い頃はパソコンを何台か持っていたのではっきりとは言えませんが、幼い頃に窓を持っていたのを覚えています。アミーガを持っていたことも覚えていますが、正しく覚えていれば、最初に窓を持っていました。私の両親はテクノロジー部門で働いていたので、最新のソフトウェアやオペレーティングシステムを手に入れることは彼らにとって大きな障害にはなりませんでした

Virtual Cafe Awards

mickrudry

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
I forget the model but it was definitely a Compaq Presario from 1999. it looked something like this one.

Attachments

• 3_33_33a5a9b2_3541465_s1_i1.jpeg
    3_33_33a5a9b2_3541465_s1_i1.jpeg
    19.8 KB · Views: 110

Merzcat

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
My first マイコン was a Compaq Presario like the guy above.
I got it in 2000 or 2001, it had windows 98.
I didn't have internet at that time so I used it to play The Sims.

Virtual Cafe Awards

macdude22

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Macintosh Performa 575 (I was 10 years old)

Still have ye olde 575. I really need to find some time to give it the TLC it deserves

575.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

gogi93

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The oldest computer I remember having in the house might have been a Dynalogic Hyperion, I remember it was a portable computer with an amber monochrome display.
1620854664460.png

To be honest I'm not sure; I seem to recall the display being a bit taller than the rest of the body, but I haven't been able to find anything that looks like that and I may be misremembering. The yellow button on the Hyperion seems vaguely familiar.

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

The oldest computer I remember having in the house might have been a Dynalogic Hyperion, I remember it was a portable computer with an amber monochrome display.
View attachment 3151
To be honest I'm not sure; I seem to recall the display being a bit taller than the rest of the body, but I haven't been able to find anything that looks like that and I may be misremembering. The yellow button on the Hyperion seems vaguely familiar.
hey, I've been wondering about this for a bit because I've never seen a portable computer with an amber display larger than the body that isn't a flip-out, so I dug around for a bit. I'm not sure if this is the right one, but the TRIUMPH ADLER TA-1600 is a reasonably portable computer with an amber display, a larger monitor than the rest of the body, and a detachable keyboard.
triumph adler ta-1600.jpg
triumph adler ta-1600.png

Reaction score
Awards
First computer sytem I used as a kid was an iMac. You know the one with the transparent monitor casing in different colors. Can remeber when you had to use the dial in internet;)

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Pepsi (Enjoyment)
Reactions: naa

macdude22

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
First computer sytem I used as a kid was an iMac. You know the one with the transparent monitor casing in different colors. Can remeber when you had to use the dial in internet;)
That 575 came with a 2400 baud modem that we used WAY past it's prime (not sure it was in it's prime even in 1994) but it came with the computer and by gum ma wasn't going to buy a new thing when you kids have a perfectly good working old thing. BUT MOOOOM IT TOOK ME 2 hours to download Ram Doubler.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
That 575 came with a 2400 baud modem that we used WAY past it's prime (not sure it was in it's prime even in 1994) but it came with the computer and by gum ma wasn't going to buy a new thing when you kids have a perfectly good working old thing. BUT MOOOOM IT TOOK ME 2 hours to download Ram Doubler.
Dude I'm not a computer expert :D That is the computer sytem I remeber and nothing more. Was a little kid back then. Only answered the question to my extend of knowledge/memories xD I'm sure you used it way before but I'm obviously not as old as you. It's my nostalgic memory of the times when I were a kid and that's it.

Virtual Cafe Awards