What was your first contact with vaporwave?

nakadashi

Horny on main.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
kuro-neko.xyz
I browsed /mu/ regularly when it started being posted on there, maybe 2012? Just after Floral Shoppe had been dropped and everyone was losing their mind.
Even remember people grouping it next to chillwave, seapunk and witch house as the next short-lived microgenre, with people coming up with the still-going oceangrunge and the long dead desertwave genres as replacements.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I long string of musical rabbit holes landed me on the famous Mac Plus video. I was always into dark ambient music and would frequently find myself listening to it while reading or working on some personal project. I fell in love with the cyberpunk aesthetic which led me to listening to a lot of synthwave. I saw the album art for Mac Plus and it gave me a certain unexplainable feeling. The accompanying music deepened that feeling and I was hooked. I've spent years trying to find more vaporwave that would trigger that specific feeling.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Tuff

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
it was floral shoppe then my friend recommended that i should listen to st pepsi, and shortly after i saw an image with a bunch of vaporwave albums listed on it and i listened to a few of em on there so that was my introduction to vaporwave

Virtual Cafe Awards

dorgon

Violently Peaceful
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
dorgon.neocities.org
back in middle school i was dorking around on youtube and i was recommended macintosh plus. at first i wasn't really into it but i slowly grew into it as i listened to it more. then i discovered t e l e p a t h テレパシー能力者 and bbrainz and fell in love with the genre.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mauisun_user237

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Floral Shoppe, it just had such an eerie and uncanny vibe to it, one of the weirdest feeling albums immediately
It's like the loveless of vaporwave, I remember there was plunderphonics or something and the books were doing weird sampling things
I think I looked it up and remember james ferraro being referenced in an article, so I got really into him because it was entertainingly weird, I remember condo pets "find out what's on carrie bradshaw's Ipod" really standing out to me

There is a left behind feeling in that early vaporwave stuff, like being left behind by vague promises of the future, I'm not going to write one of those 3 paragraph late capitalism essays though.
I'm trying to remember how I found it, I think it was on a forum or a youtube video
I decided to listen to it again while writing this and it is still eerie, it seems more signal wave-ish on second listen, like the super muffled filter about 3 minutes in
It is still one of the more creative vapor releases I've heard
Also that sample that is like "i'm giving up on trying, to sell you things that you ain't buying" in this album just perfectly sums up the era we are in

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Markovian Parallax

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I found apk called Dark Radio and there, except lo-fi, was mysterious word Vaporwave. I immediately went to uncle Google to find out what this Vaporwave is. After that I read various articles about the genre, joined the subreddit, I listened to the music from this list and create my playlists.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

it was when Plastic Love got big again and popped up on my side panel. PL > futurefunk > vaporwave > citypop...

edit: now i recall!

actually, it was this song i think:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki-fATpXa00&list=RDKi-fATpXa00&start_radio=1&rv=Ki-fATpXa00&t=15&ab_channel=ElFamosoDemon

- classic banger, staple and first-contact with VW for many i guess -- + playlist of related songs

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

SKURMISH

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Vaporwave mixes from around 2015-2016 I think, shit like Jason Sanders and Soundstation, been invested ever since. Miss those summer days discovering the music for the first time and biking down the beach at night with all the essential shit playing from a speaker I had in the basket. Shit got me into music collecting too. Good days man I miss em!

Virtual Cafe Awards
Listened to Macintosh plus 420 as a joke, then listened to the album as a joke, then listened to blank banshee as a joke. It's been 8 years and I'm still committed to the bit
Even attended concerts, bought physicals and joined this damn site for the meme
try Far side virtual and Eccojams vol.1

Virtual Cafe Awards

mesaprotector

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Some day in late 2014 I made a typo sleepily trying to search for a Taylor Swift song on YT and saw the cover art of Blank Banshee 0 on the first page of search results. Clicked on it cause it looked cool. Thought "maaan that sounds weird" and somebody in the comments said it was vaporwave. Decided that was what I had to spend the next two months of my life listening to 'cause if you listen to vaporwave long enough your whole life starts to feel like being lost in a dead mall and I'm about that

imnotdeadyet

Pseudoanonymized internet husk
Reaction score
Awards
Website
downbytheseaside.neocities.org
Back when I was younger I used to shove random songs in Audacity, slow them down and mess with them because it sounded cool to me so that's technically my first encounter with vaporwave even though I had no idea it was vaporwave.
My first actual contact was when I randomly got Angel from sunsetcorp recommended to me, I looked up what it was about and the rest is history.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Oh. Yeah, opposite of Nightcore XD of 2007s...

Virtual Cafe Awards