What was your first contact with vaporwave?

Bullshit_Boy

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Just exploring other types of electronic music online. But as soon as I heard vaporwave, I was hooked. The "Tim and Eric, Awesome show, Great job!" also had really cool mallsoft music in a lot of their episodes, and that still seems to be my favorite vapor offshoot. They kind of had that bad 90's VHS feel to most of their sketches on that show, I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deltawave

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Oh, interesting! I havent heard of it yet, I'll check it out!

Overgrowth

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The first album I really got into was this one, which I think I stumbled into because Bludhoney released the Hyper Light Drifter OST.

but I want to say that this was the first song, back when it was up on the Artzie Music channel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12lnYljdee4

I didn't know to call it vaporwave at the time, but I remember enjoying this video a lot. I think youtube recommended it off of a lot of popular lo-fi songs at the time.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Was a big fan of internet meme music such as ytpmv and soundclown. Summer of 2014, I was browsing through the SoundCloud profile of The Living Tombstone as he always reposted hilarious soundclown songs when I stumbled across this release by getyoursnackon:

Fun fact: getyoursnackon now works as a grammy nominated mixing engineer for big artists such as Skrillex and even Elon "EDM" Musk.

The Windows 95 beer was fascinating and the song itself gave me this feeling of nostalgia, after that, I looked up what vaporwave meant and fell into the whole rabbit hole and never left basically!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deltawave

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
All of these are great recommendations. Thank you all! I will defo check these out!

Viset

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm curious.

How did you discover vaporwave, and what did you do to discover more artists?
I discovered it on YouTube. I watched a video (dunno how tf it was called) that talked about it and after doing some online research I played Hologram Plaza by Disconcious (pure mallsoft experience). I enjoyed it a lot and after hearing some other albums I came to Floral Shoppe. Since that, I fucking love vaporwave and it's community.

Hypnos95

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I remember hearing about vaporwave back in 2015-2016 from some friends, but I only thought it was a meme without looking more into it, only based on what they showed me.
Jump to 2019, YouTube starts recommending me Floral Shoppe's LISA FRANK 420. I click on it expecting to find it silly or funny, but to my surprise I end up loving it unironically. After that I found myself listening to it a lot on my car rides to/from work. Eventually listened to the full album, and really dug that too.
I craved more but wasn't sure where to look for vaporwave similar to Floral Shoppe. I found a video about vaporwave from theneedledrop, where he compared the album to Chuck Person's Eccojams Vol. 1 and James Ferraro's Far Side Virtual. I jumped on those instantly, listening to them while grocery shopping or the like which I felt added to my enjoyment. Also discovered Pad Chennington through theneedledrop, who talks about vaporwave and other unique kinds of music, and the rest is history.

Man, I'd love to experience my feeling listening to LISA FRANK 420 for the first time again. :bartJAM:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Emmy Fitz

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I had Saturday school in 2014/2015 and my friend showed me Floral Shoppe while we were dicking around on the computers lol

I revisited it a couple months later and really liked it, then found out about the rest of the genre. Been a fan ever since

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

As the title says, I'm curious.

How did you discover vaporwave, and what did you do to discover more artists?
I listened to dds.wmv I'll Try Living Like this when the mainstream was mobbing vaporwave with memes and its unwholesome attention, and after listening to the whole album I honestly thought,
Hannibal Buress Whack GIF

Ahhh, but that was then and this is now, and Vaporwave is love. Plus I'll Try Living Like This is one of my favorite albums, but its subtleties and incredible solitude really unnerves me at times.

Nostalgic_Cry

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Well my first contact with vaporwave was when I was watching facts from GTA Vice City. In the begining I heard Macintosh plus (but I didn't know the name yet). I asked my friends who knows internet better then me and told me title. Later I started to explore internet to find informations about vaporwave an I realised I love this thing. I'm glad for that this forum exist because now I van have contact with more vaporwave fans. I must say your question is very interesting. (Sorry for my mistakes this isn't my national language)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
Like many others, my first real introduction to the genre was the Lisa Frank 420/Modern Computing meme that first gained steam around 2015-2016. Liking what I heard, I was able to find essentials guides and various labels on bandcamp pretty easily. Youtube channels like Artzie and Sound Stationwere also great for finding new stuff.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mickrudry

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
sometime back in 2015. a friend of mine sent a bunch of quick edits he made to me through kik. I was a bit confused about the style as a whole until I started listening to Floral Shoppe. I didn't really have much desire to make it up until recently.

FreshSk8r

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
RŌBLOX.
Yes you read that right. Let the roflfest commence.
Anyway, I used to watch Epikrika around 2014, and they had mentioned vaporwave in one of their older videos. I decided to check it out, and now here I am!

Virtual Cafe Awards

SpheralBloom

I'm not a femboy I swear
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I came across a youtube video back in middle school of this guy doing a Fiji water review in his car. He kept complimenting its "aesthetic" and referring to it as a "vaporwave drink". I had no idea wtf he was talking about so I looked it up and listened to Late Night Delight. Fell in love with the genre ever since. That's about it.
And if you're curious about what the guy's verdict was, here's the vid :p

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

toyotawave

Silver
Reaction score
Awards
My irl friend showed me a yung lean music video in like 2013 and i really liked his style and videos. I saw references to vaporwave in the comments so I went to /mu/ and listened to a few albums in the vw general and fell in love.

Virtual Cafe Awards