What were those living "Gif" paintings from the 90s?!

I have been thinking about this the whole day, I remember going to any Chinese restaurant and seeing a gigantic art display on the wall that had scenes of nature on them.... But... The water moved just like a fucking Gif. I haven't seen those for some years now and I really wanna know how they even came about into existence, they were mindblowing everytime I saw them and even though you could just hook up a monitor with videos, IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME. :eek:

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Wow
Reactions: naa

naa

I've seen those in nail salons in the 2010s, I totally forgot about them! I wonder if they work how moving billboards do? Those usually have an LED system that's used to assemble the picture. I'm really not sure though, I haven't seen any of those gif paintings around in at least 5 years. I wonder where they went, they were so cool!

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
This is my first time hearing about such a thing and despite my best efforts, I can't find literally anything else on the internet about them besides this post. You'd think it wouldn't be so hard because they sound cool, but alas.

I'll keep looking but I doubt I'll find anything.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Wow
This is my first time hearing about such a thing and despite my best efforts, I can't find literally anything else on the internet about them besides this post. You'd think it wouldn't be so hard because they sound cool, but alas.

Yeah, I looked too, still have no idea what your talking about. you wouldn't happen to have a photo or anything?

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

I was able to find this article that has some comparisons of LED wall displays, and mentions that they're different from just like, screens. I also found a photo of the kind I remember seeing, so I think at least in my case the gif paintings I remember were LED wall displays! Is this the kind you saw too?
led wall display.jpg

It really bothers me that I cannot find anything about these, they used to be really easy to find
I was able to find this article that has some comparisons of LED wall displays, and mentions that they're different from just like, screens. I also found a photo of the kind I remember seeing, so I think at least in my case the gif paintings I remember were LED wall displays! Is this the kind you saw too?
View attachment 3056
Not really, video walls are completely dynamic regardless of the pixel material. What I am referring to is a piece of plastic with a color print all over except for the transparent bits that exposed the "flowing" lights in the background layer.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Wow

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
It really bothers me that I cannot find anything about these, they used to be really easy to find

Not really, video walls are completely dynamic regardless of the pixel material. What I am referring to is a piece of plastic with a color print all over except for the transparent bits that exposed the "flowing" lights in the background layer.
Was it mechanical? Based on these descriptions, I can only imagine the static "front" layer with the "back" water layer being made of one of those conveyer belts with a print on the belt itself that moves endlessly.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
おそらく、ペイント効果を実現するために、川のビデオの各フレームを、絵画のように見せるためのフィルターに通しました。それから彼らはビデオを変換してモニターに置きました

Virtual Cafe Awards
おそらく、ペイント効果を実現するために、川のビデオの各フレームを、絵画のように見せるためのフィルターに通しました。それから彼らはビデオを変換してモニターに置きました
Not really, the tech wasn't very cheap at the time to achieve such a thing and make sure that it's cheap enough for every restaurant to own at least one of them
Was it mechanical? Based on these descriptions, I can only imagine the static "front" layer with the "back" water layer being made of one of those conveyer belts with a print on the belt itself that moves endlessly.
Maybe, but it did have a backlight all over the art too.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
川の連続ビデオは、スクリーンセーバーや背景のアンビエントトラックなどで非常に一般的です。カイロプラクターのオフィスの壁に川のビデオがあったのを覚えていますが、それは絵画のようには見えませんでした

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

Is this similar at all? I realized a picture isn't enough, so this is a video I found of what I'm thinking of.

I feel like I've seen something different that was a still painting but with lights behind it to simulate movement, usually water, but not sure what that'd be called..

Last edited by a moderator:

hyprstorm

devils advocate
Reaction score
Awards
It may have been mini LEDS behind the transparent water sheet that shifted like water?

Virtual Cafe Awards

vim

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I found another Youtube video. The account that posted that video, SMILEatTheDEALS, says in a comment: "There is also a store located in Florida that sells these online. Message us for Details." The video's a few years old, but SMILEatTheDEALS is still actively posting weird old junk that they're selling. Another commenter, relax mind, claims to be manufacturing them and to have them in bulk, but they never provide a link to a storefront. Someone else says that they see these things for sale in Chinatown.

I'm guessing that the "store located in Florida" is one J. Mark Cutlery Kitchen and Home Decor which has a page called Lighted Moving Water Picture. Unfortunately, they have this to say:

It appears there is no hope of obtaining these pictures in the foreseeable future. We know that equipment is available to make them right here in FL. We bought them from the person who made them, but he closed up shop for the time-being. If we can get them made once again, you'll see it right here on this page.

Virtual Cafe Awards

isnt it possible to be some kind of lenticular design?

edit: add.:

View: https://youtu.be/tRTe_MRSbsY

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards

Was it something like this?, there is a few different variations of the effect and I used to have a few examples when I was a kid.
It may have also been referred to as a hologram. Those ones have smoother animation, but depending on when it was made, may be very silvery. I do remember seeing a few from the mid 2000's that were full color.

Virtual Cafe Awards

power gem

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
i remember these. i found some videos of them on youtube

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKMVxpISYv4

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS1xGnE5buI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GP97qPsQz0

i wondered if you could still find these for sale on aliexpress, the home of tacky chinese products, but i couldn't find any. i did find some other nostalgia bait though: these mini waterfall fountains. these used to be sold in mall kiosks when i was a kid in the early 00s... i always thought they were insanely cool
Se0db7151a3e5489da6b6e66e3887dbfcF-1.jpg
Ha0781a73fe8b4d6fb30d6da1963e8998x.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards