What would you REALLY miss out from life as a NEET? Because there isn't any.

Caspar

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
£700? I live in Taiwan and you only get autismbux if you were in poverty, that's why I'm looking for an alternative, by getting a stress-free part time job that can balance my saving and spending
I tried to apply gamedev sofeware job before as I have indie game development experience and a finished project on Steam, unfortunately it isn't possible to land a job with that at the shithole I live. You'd only land a decent IT job if you were graduate from the correct university with the correct major at the correct age.

I know, it would be better for everyone if I never have to interact with normies.

白目​

Last edited:

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Man, I take a break from this site for a little while and come back to this. Of the two posts OP has made about their life that have gotten big, both paint a pretty disgusting and depressing picture. Beyond pity, in my opinion. Seems you failed somewhere around step 3. Your insistence that the world cater to your own delusions is profoundly egocentric and unproductive for yourself or anyone else.

Big brain NEET is getting financial independence and retiring as early as comfortably possible
>Just get multiple income streams so that you can invest in the market and live off the dividends/passive income/4% rule!

Listen I love FIRE and am working on a version of it myself :cool: but that's about as far from being a NEET as you could ever be. FIRE requires work ethic, long term planning, self control, and will power - all things that NEETs lack.

Virtual Cafe Awards
i'm surprised alot of the posters in this thread have fallen for the bait
Even if it is bait it yielded some good posts that might help someone who thinks this way unironically. And if its not I had some good laughs watching everyone on the board team up to murder this kid over and over.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
Man, I take a break from this site for a little while and come back to this. Of the two posts OP has made about their life that have gotten big, both paint a pretty disgusting and depressing picture. Beyond pity, in my opinion. Seems you failed somewhere around step 3. Your insistence that the world cater to your own delusions is profoundly egocentric and unproductive for yourself or anyone else.

>Just get multiple income streams so that you can invest in the market and live off the dividends/passive income/4% rule!

Listen I love FIRE and am working on a version of it myself :cool: but that's about as far from being a NEET as you could ever be. FIRE requires work ethic, long term planning, self control, and will power - all things that NEETs lack.
NEET is an abbreviation for Not in Education Employment or Training. The goal of retirement a lot of people idealise is equivalent to a goal of NEETdom. That said, I agree that the sentiment against NEETs is usually against the lack of responsibility of their own life most of them have.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
NEET is an abbreviation for Not in Education Employment or Training. The goal of retirement a lot of people idealise is equivalent to a goal of NEETdom. That said, I agree that the sentiment against NEETs is usually against the lack of responsibility of their own life most of them have.
I know what NEET is, my point was more that FIRE implies that you are a productive member of society for some period of time. And once you're able to coast, you're coasting off your own funds instead of some sort of handout or entitlement. So while I guess it's technically NEET, it really does not fit the commonly held understanding.

Responsibility and productivity are ultimately what give life purpose.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
I know what NEET is, my point was more that FIRE implies that you are a productive member of society for some period of time. And once you're able to coast, you're coasting off your own funds instead of some sort of handout or entitlement. So while I guess it's technically NEET, it really does not fit the commonly held understanding.

Responsibility and productivity are ultimately what give life purpose.
Sorry to inform you that life's purpose is a spook :p

Virtual Cafe Awards

LukasDayOff

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Here bro, let me give you a proper response from someone who is currently semi-NEET (I have a part-time job that pays the bills and keeps me somewhat busy) and has had various bouts of NEETdom. Any baggage you currently have in your life will follow you around regardless if you are employed or not. When I was making 6 digits doing IT work during the pandemic I was just as miserable and depressed as I was when I was a NEET. A lot of the standard advice you are being given did not work for me as (with the exception of exercise - that is a cheat code) because I realized I am just "different" (not in a bad or a good way). I never found fulfillment in socialization (I used to volunteer and go to MeetUps a lot pre-pandemic) or relationships/sex, but instead I have found fulfillment in creative pursuits and skill/self mastery (but these require discipline on your end). When I accepted that part of me, then I stopped being so hard on myself (and others).

What I am trying to convey is that "wherever you go - there you are" meaning, NEET or not you, need to deal with the fact that you have some misgivings with your current place in society and the people in it. But instead of retreating from it, you need to figure out a way to be part of it on your own terms for your own sanity. You don't like normies? That's fine, I don't as well so figure out a way to make money that avoids them completely or find a career/path that makes you interact with people that share a similar mindset as you (tech people). You need to figure out how "ride the tiger" as even though you are correct that society has gone to shit based on every metric, you still have a life to live and for all you know, it could be your only one.

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
So you are forced into having a job but you hate it? Sounds to me like for the time being, instead of wishing your life was different you could make some changes now to improve it. I'm not sure if you want these suggestions but I've found that they help me massively in not getting burnt out from the 40-hour work week and my friends have said the same so hopefully at least someone here can use these
  • Make it a point to not go immediately on the internet as soon as you get home. You might feel tired from work but if you put a little energy into something that's "more real" then you'll find that you're more mentally rested at the end of the day. Also this will get easier to do once you actually commit, kind of like mentally working out. At first it's hard but soon you find that your life is better
  • Have a long-term project. Having a goal that you're working towards that you won't obtain in the short term is really helpful to keep your mind from experiencing burnout. In college the goal's easy: get your degree. Once you're done with college you need to get more creative. I'm working on a game project with some people but as some have mentioned in this thread, why don't you try to make a comic or something? You have all the skills required to do so. When you get home from work before you go on the internet just put some time into drawing or writing
  • Wake up earlier than necessary before work so you can have a nice quiet morning. Just take some time to sit in your own thoughts without any distractions with a nice cup of coffee or your morning beverage of choice. It helps to have an area in your house specifically set apart for this. I have a 5ft diameter bean bag that I sit in every morning, even if it's only for a little bit. I'm not sure why this works so well to help you through your day but I've suggested this to quite a few people and they all say that it helped them massively in not dreading work. Just 20 mins of quiet time with your own thoughts as you sip comfortably on something nice and warm while in a comfy chair does wonders for the mind.
I hope at least someone in this thread finds this helpful. 9-5 burnout is real and can make a life of endlessly consuming media seem pretty appealing. I've felt burnout before and I see it in my friends but the answer is not to hide away. Rather the answer is figure out what actually in your life is a problem and push forward.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
As long as you're not just grinding for "the man" to collect a paycheck, working can be quite a satisfying experience.

I know someone who makes a living 3d printing and painting models for people, selling them on Etsy. He is an extremely good model painter.

Because of this, he has really developed his modelling skills and really enjoys painting for himself too.

This has given him a lot more fulfillment than sitting around at home doing nothing could.

NEETs are essentially a lazy response to the 9-5 grind. Instead of trying to fix anything they retreat. Not only does this make them dependent on others (which is unsustainable), but it's also prone to having a very unfulfilling life, because many of them aren't seeking anything meaningful, they have simply concluded that working sucks in all forms and that life should be about doing nothing. There are much better responses to the grind that won't have you committing suicide at 40 when life seems meaningless.

I know very few NEETs that do anything other than sit around all day doing nothing. It's a state of mind and is in my opinion a horrible state of mind.

In my opinion a much better idea is to find a way to support yourself that doesn't drain your soul. Anyone can work doing something they enjoy if they put their mind to it and are willing to take some risks.

Last edited:

RisingThumb

Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
I know very few NEETs that do anything other than sit around all day doing nothing. It's a state of mind and is in my opinion a horrible state of mind.
A lot of people who retire, lose meaning and activities to do in their life, and as a result they sit around all day doing nothing and languishing. It's a similarly horrible state of mind, and why so many elderly people die shortly after retiring. A lack of activity and meaning in life weirdly seems to harm people

Virtual Cafe Awards

Pink Fluffy Cat

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
A lot of people who retire, lose meaning and activities to do in their life, and as a result they sit around all day doing nothing and languishing. It's a similarly horrible state of mind, and why so many elderly people die shortly after retiring. A lack of activity and meaning in life weirdly seems to harm people
yep but what you can expect from someone who has been institutionalized for so long? It's like blaming a zoo lion not fighting for territory when released into the wild.

cryptfrog

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
> What essential experiences that a "normal" lifestyle enable?
Literally all of them lol unless you count your first time jacking off to Hatsune Miku

Virtual Cafe Awards

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The amount of time you'd be wasting on transportation, the tiresome, and the fact that the experience you have isn't really good enough to be considered irreplaceable by, said, something likes playing vidya or drawing my OC.
I feel that. I can't get past the idea that a vacation is a finite experience, whereas spending that money towards something tangible and permanent like a new PC or tools or musical equipment just seems like a better use of my money.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
I feel that. I can't get past the idea that a vacation is a finite experience, whereas spending that money towards something tangible and permanent like a new PC or tools or musical equipment just seems like a better use of my money.

Vacations develop you and your experience of the world and provide memories. While PC, tools or musical equipment are there with you for a longer period of time (or until they break), they too are only facilitators for developing yourself and your experience of the world.

Virtual Cafe Awards