what's everyone's favorite game that never made it to their country?

yoisho-ono

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I was watching some videos on games that never make it to american shores and was wondering if it's the same for other countries and what people like/dislike in other parts of america. is your favorite a JRPG that was fan translated in the 90's and is 2/3rds untranslated? was it an american game that simple was too obscure to localize in russia? mine would probably a few of the older megami tensei games since i'm a sucker for older 3D attempts

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
具体的なゲームはありませんが、任天堂が最高のゲーム開発者としての力を失い、より多くの独立したゲームがリリースされるにつれて、すべてが日本に到達するわけではないことがわかりました。私がプレイしたかったアメリカからのリリースはたくさんありますが、アメリカにのみ出荷する独立したスタジオによってリリースされているため、プレイできません。

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: naa

naa

Chibi-Robo Happy Richie Osoji is a sequel to the original Chibi-Robo. It's a DS game I've had the opportunity of playing, but it was never released in English. It also got only released through Walmart and was really hard to find even within Japan, super limited copies. Feels like Nintendo tanked Chibi-Robo on purpose, kinda sucks.

There are Chibi-Robo spinoff games, but none of them are really like this. This is the only direct sequel of the first game, it's about the daughter of the first game living alone in a tiny apartment as a single mom. She buys a Chibi-Robo, which is you, then you spend the game cleaning up her house and life.

I think it may've been fan translated under the name Chibi-Robo Clean Sweep.

LSD Dream Emulator. I feel like the only westerner to understand that game - it's not just random, it's a lot more like Yume Nikki - put the time in & you get a deeper appreciation for how it all fits together!

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Chibi-Robo Happy Richie Osoji is a sequel to the original Chibi-Robo. It's a DS game I've had the opportunity of playing, but it was never released in English. It also got only released through Walmart and was really hard to find even within Japan, super limited copies. Feels like Nintendo tanked Chibi-Robo on purpose, kinda sucks.

There are Chibi-Robo spinoff games, but none of them are really like this. This is the only direct sequel of the first game, it's about the daughter of the first game living alone in a tiny apartment as a single mom. She buys a Chibi-Robo, which is you, then you spend the game cleaning up her house and life.

I think it may've been fan translated under the name Chibi-Robo Clean Sweep.
Region locked should make this episode why Did you know gaming cares only to make a millionth video about Mario.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Japan exclusive Tingle Zelda spinoff games on DS. The first one feels and plays like Zelda and was released at Europe as well. The 2nd one is different apart of the rest. It's a point and click style adventure
Also there's a whole story why those games never made to States. Tingle was voted the most annoying character in Zelda in mid 2000's (Different climate than today) why he asked many rupees to buy a map in wind waker and Majora's mask. Region locked made an episode on this. You should check their work at preserving obscure games. Thanks to them, world learned about LSD dream emulator. One of the most pioneering games of that era.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

Mother 3

I also feel like Starfy would have been awesome. Emulated them but at the time no translation patches existed

cybercola

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
LSD Dream Emulator. I feel like the only westerner to understand that game - it's not just random, it's a lot more like Yume Nikki - put the time in & you get a deeper appreciation for how it all fits together!
LSD's a fantastic game. always on the lookout for other games that are clearly inspired by it because it's a blast to just walk around these dreamscapes and figure out how it all slots together

Virtual Cafe Awards

MonkeyDude

Da hood momke
Reaction score
Awards
I was watching some videos on games that never make it to american shores and was wondering if it's the same for other countries and what people like/dislike in other parts of america. is your favorite a JRPG that was fan translated in the 90's and is 2/3rds untranslated? was it an american game that simple was too obscure to localize in russia? mine would probably a few of the older megami tensei games since i'm a sucker for older 3D attempts
I'm from Brazil, during the 2000s until the 2010s the PlayStation 2 was very popular here, the problem is that: The PlayStation 2 never officially came in Brazil, and everyone who had it was an unlocked console coming from Paraguay or China , so technically speaking any game I played in childhood could be cited here :cool: (Crash Twinsanity, Pac Man World 3, MDK 2 Armagedon, Midnight Club 3, Lego Indiana Jones, Mortal Kombat 3 etc).
This was such a serious problem that I, like most Latin Americans who ever had a PS2 in their lives, never seen an original copy of any game, they were just pirated DVD's with the game's roms inside and that were sold in shops for amazing low prices, like 3 games for 10 bucks (yes you always had to buy 3 games), not to mention the collections of games like "Snes Station" or "Super Coleção 7,784 Jogos" that had old Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games on PS2 and on top of that the menus played very good unknown songs, like Can't Stop Coming by Azazel and several other songs that I THINK would match the Vaporwave theme. However as they were shitty pirated DVDs they didn't last a month without scratching or molding.
Those were good times...

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
LSD Dream Emulator. I feel like the only westerner to understand that game
I'd like to think I know a thing or two about the game as well:LeDoritoFace:
thefatherthesontheholyspirit.png

Rakugaki_Showtime_cover.jpg

Rakugaki Showtime for PS1 is one I wish released outside of Japan. Fun arena fighter with a cool art style. Most the game is just tossing shit around chaotically while scrambling to get a Final Smash-esque ball at times. Coincidentally they even did the whole "Master Hand" trope right around the same time as Smash Bros (which came out six months prior in January 1999.)

Virtual Cafe Awards

inverse_square_matrix

Citizen of the Internet
Reaction score
Awards
Website
inversesquarematrix.neocities.org
I mean, there are so many Japanese games I want to play that are basically unplayable because I don't know their language...
Sometimes for RPG Maker games you can use an automatic translator, but it almost never works correctly.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Placeholder

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Not anything really remarkable but Godzilla Kaiju Daikessen is a really fun fighter on Super Famicom.

I love fighting games and this game is almost perfect. The presentation is there but it needs more mechanics and combos. One of my dream games is a rom hack where someone polishes it to its full potential.

My brother and I would play this game together all the time, was worth every penny importing it.

Attachments

• gojira cart.jpg
    gojira cart.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 42
Virtual Cafe Awards