What's the deal with NFT and vaporwave art?

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
My opinion, take it or leave it: it's all posturing. Tell me the real amount of damage being done to the environment by a single piece of art being added to the blockchain.

I don't doubt that there are people out there with solar panels on their roof, electric cars, and a refusal of any and all disposable products (ie: styrofoam cups or plastic straws), but I have a really, really hard time believing that the "vaporwave community" actually cares about any of this. It's just convenient to pick one thing that they don't have an interest in anyways (NFTs) and attack anyone who uses them. This is a form of fundraising for the artist that you claim to enjoy, and you're actively trying to harm the artist for having the audacity to get paid for their work? It's a vocal minority on Twitter that'll perpetually get riled up over the most innocuous things. You don't see the same level of outrage over something like Agora Road using CPU cycles and expending energy in a data center somewhere. You rarely see any cries for the big tech companies to consume less energy (though that happens, too). I assure you that the vast majority of the people complaining about NFTs on Twitter are meat eaters who actively ignore the fact that their meat consumption is doing far more damage to the environment than an artist looking to raise a few bucks by listing an NFT. Virtue signaling idiots.

Won't the entire economy be run by NFTs in 2047, anyways?

Please excuse me for getting a bit aggressive. These types of people drive me crazy :)

Virtual Cafe Awards

Overgrowth

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not educated enough on the matter to comment on the energy usage one way or the other, but I have seen some stuff claiming that most NFTs just store a URL to an image hosting website that has any number of ways to turn into a dead link a few years down the line. I like the idea of making a "unique" version of a piece of data on the internet and I like seeing more money go towards art in any way. But I feel like it would be better if you could encode the information that constructs the art itself into the token. Paying for what's essentially an encrypted URL seems like a bit of a scam to me. I also can't help but think the technology seems like something that could be used as a particularly annoying form of DRM were it to catch on commercially.

That's all from a pretty cursory look at the subject though, so i might have some misconceptions.

Virtual Cafe Awards
@Overgrowth yeah that sounds lame. Can one not encode an arbitrary amount of data into blockchain? If not then what's the point?
This would actually use more energy than a simple URL. I see both of your points, though, and I think that encoding the image itself in the blockchain would be a bit more sentimentally valuable than merely a URL

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 1930

I don't see the big deal...energy can't be destroyed, so who cares how much energy is being used?

Trashboat

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
All crypto uses obscene amounts of energy. NFTs are just adding more onto that energy load. My problem is that NFTs don't really do anything special that can't already be done. There are already plenty of ways for me to directly support an artist (patreon, Kofi, paypal, etc.) Buying NFT actually sounds like more pain than supporting an artist through more traditional fees what with gas and listing fees and whatnot. You don't fully own them and you aren't entitled to full copyright in some cases. I'm against them, but I try not to badger ppl too much about them if they use them.

Imo, NFTs seem like a gimmick to bump the value of ethereum, but that's just conjecture. Don't accept that last statement as fact

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
I just can't get past the ownership thing (or lack thereof).

Also, there's been a bit of an uptick in art theft since anyone can make an NFT out of any file and make money off it, so that's nice I guess :WojakNPC: (especially in an unregulated market with anonymous buyers, which I imagine would make legal recourse beyond simple DMCA takedowns on the distribution sites difficult).

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

I'm very interested to see what these end up selling for

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
ドリームカタログによるほとんどの物理的なリリースと同様に、これらは多くの価値があります。レーベルにサインした数人のミュージシャンに会ったことを覚えています。彼らが参加者を公平に扱ったと聞いています。
I also believe that these will sell for a high price. I would probably buy one for sub-$200 (I like to gamble, what can I say?), but I wouldn't be surprised if these go for thousands.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
I also believe that these will sell for a high price. I would probably buy one for sub-$200 (I like to gamble, what can I say?), but I wouldn't be surprised if these go for thousands.
カセット市場は非常に欺瞞的です。偽造テープが一般的だと聞きました。ライナーのコピーを作成し、テープをコピーします。コピー防止機能がないため、真正性を確認するために検査が必要です

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Not that I know anything about HKE beyond his music, but that entire string of tweets was pretty aggressive.

Edit: Uh, he seems to be angry about something in a lot of his tweets in general. Is he usually like this? Again, I don't know anything about him beyond HK and his work in 2814
Yea ive noticed that him, OSCOB, hair cuts for men, all post really edgy stuff and a lot of people in the community dont like it but people still follow because of their music. Oh and I think they are the most blocked artists on twitter and least I know hair cuts for men is.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Overgrowth

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Not that I know anything about HKE beyond his music, but that entire string of tweets was pretty aggressive.

Edit: Uh, he seems to be angry about something in a lot of his tweets in general. Is he usually like this? Again, I don't know anything about him beyond HK and his work in 2814
Yes, he is usually like this, lol. He seems pretty conceited to me, but every time he starts some drama with other labels or artists it tends to come out with them making up behind the scenes, so I get the impression he's a bit more reasonable outside of his public tweets.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I still know little-to-nothing about NFTs, the fact that the value is so high that people can make thousands to millions off it is insane.
Not a money person myself, but always happy to see other artists getting paid for their efforts!

Could've sworn I had read something about blockchains looking for ways to help sustainability in a positive way but I can't recall where I read that.

And of course Aphex Twin planting trees lol

Virtual Cafe Awards

Oh no, not an HKE post in a vaporwave forum :youWhat: walking on thin ice here :confusedMikasa:

Man, I remember when Pad Chennington said HKE and Kanye West should collab, and every day, I'm seeing the similarity between them more and more.

I genuinely am a fan of HKE's music, his production skills are insane! But every time I see him in another "vapordrama" as Twitter calls it, I just get a little disappointed again. First the Black Banshee "controversy", then one of the DC albums possibly being physically released through another label, which apparently was resolved between him and the other artist, but then still made a whole podcast episode about it and shared private information. I don't even know what the Incarta '95 situation was about.

Always talks about how all these moments were "blown out of proportion", but then being the person (or through the Dream Catalogue Twitter) that actively participates in the discussions.

He quit vaporwave 6 years ago and he's literally spent the remaining years just trash-talking vaporwave and not wanting to be associated with it anymore.

It's a shame because his Dreampunk stuff is genuinely interesting, and if he just focused on that rather than constantly comparing it to vaporwave it would be much better for Dreampunk to grow into more the independent genre he's usually talking about.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vaporweeb

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Oh no, not an HKE post in a vaporwave forum :youWhat: walking on thin ice here :confusedMikasa:

Man, I remember when Pad Chennington said HKE and Kanye West should collab, and every day, I'm seeing the similarity between them more and more.

I genuinely am a fan of HKE's music, his production skills are insane! But every time I see him in another "vapordrama" as Twitter calls it, I just get a little disappointed again. First the Black Banshee "controversy", then one of the DC albums possibly being physically released through another label, which apparently was resolved between him and the other artist, but then still made a whole podcast episode about it and shared private information. I don't even know what the Incarta '95 situation was about.

Always talks about how all these moments were "blown out of proportion", but then being the person (or through the Dream Catalogue Twitter) that actively participates in the discussions.

He quit vaporwave 6 years ago and he's literally spent the remaining years just trash-talking vaporwave and not wanting to be associated with it anymore.

It's a shame because his Dreampunk stuff is genuinely interesting, and if he just focused on that rather than constantly comparing it to vaporwave it would be much better for Dreampunk to grow into more the independent genre he's usually talking about.
What's this about him and Blank Banshee? And yeah, it's been a little disillusioning to find out one way or another that these artists who make such chill stuff can be so vitriolic behind the scenes.

Virtual Cafe Awards
What's this about him and Blank Banshee? And yeah, it's been a little disillusioning to find out one way or another that these artists who make such chill stuff can be so vitriolic behind the scenes.

Not Blank Banshee, BlaCk Banshee. It's an obvious parody alias by either him or someone from Dream Catalogue.

One of the Black Banshee albums was uploaded to Vapor Memory after he gave access to labels to upload albums while he's dealing with some personal stuff, and he was angry to find out that the album was being uploaded there as he didn't want any "meme albums" on his channel. Both HKE and Shima then started a whole rant on Twitter about censorship, which they did eventually resolve with VM privately.

After that, HKE talked about how "controversial" Black Banshee is, calling his music "post-vaporwave" as it was using techniques that were never used before, like sampling Michael Jackson (bruh)
He even interviewed him on his podcast (which was an Australian dude with the low pitch anonymous voice filter and ear-damaging glitch sound effects)

Virtual Cafe Awards