What's the oldest piece of technology you use everyday?

<SIXX>

BXRN LXST CXNTURY
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

gorilla squid

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I switch game consoles every week or two it seems like. I was playing SNES for a while, then Sega Dreamcast, and now I'm on the Sega Saturn arc.

Attachments

• received_349285973734186.jpeg
    received_349285973734186.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 70
Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Excluding stuff like appliances like fridges and stoves and stuff like that, probably my Gameboy Color. I don't know if I use it daily, but I do play games on it quite a bit in my downtime. However I did replace the screen with a backlit IPS screen, and the case with the translucent green case, and I use a flashcart. Does it still count as old tech if the only original thing left is the motherboard and buttons? This feels like Gameboy version of the Theseus' paradox.

My daily driver is a Unibody Macbook Pro running Linux which I maxed the fuck out with 16 gigs of ram and a SSD, I supposed that's over 10 years old now and I use it every day.

I also have a set of Monsoon speakers like this hooked up to the line out on my TV:
monsoon.gif
I got them from the thrift store and I've only had them 2-3 years, so they're relatively new to me, but the company has been out of business since 2005, so they are at least 17-18 years old. I had to pick up a ground loop isolator, but they sound great.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The oldest piece of technology is probably something stupid like a piece of paper or a chair.

But specifically referring to electronic technology, or what we could colloquially refer to as "tech", my oldest device I use everyday is probably my laptop. It's a HP Stream 15 from about 2015 or whenever it was released. 4GB, Intel Celeron, 32GB of storage. It's positively ancient, but since I only run Manjaro on it and only use it for text editing and programming, it's plenty fast enough.

LincolnJames

Aspiring tiger rider
Reaction score
Awards
The oldest piece of technology is probably something stupid like a piece of paper or a chair.

But specifically referring to electronic technology, or what we could colloquially refer to as "tech", my oldest device I use everyday is probably my laptop. It's a HP Stream 15 from about 2015 or whenever it was released. 4GB, Intel Celeron, 32GB of storage. It's positively ancient, but since I only run Manjaro on it and only use it for text editing and programming, it's plenty fast enough.
>2015
>positively ancient
:ConfusedKaguya:

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Depends really, I feel like most of the technology in my house is at least 15 years old, if not more. I have a bunch of PowerPC Macs I use for various things, if nothing else than to shitpost and use Photoshop 7 like it's the early 2000s again. Those get daily use - though I also have a whole bunch of Late 70s - Late 80s keyboards I've converted to USB for funsies, and a QuickTake for taking cooked early digital camera shots.

For not everyday I still hold on to all my old Nintendo handhelds and my childhood SNES but I've not plugged that in in forever.

All this stuff is way more fun than the modern garbage that we get told to buy - the man can suck it, I buy trash :v

Virtual Cafe Awards

Stegosaurus1985

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I have a load of technology that I use on a daily basis. I use a tascam 424 cassette record to make music so, I'm always playing with tapes. Recently, I found a mint condition set of The Lord Of The Rings tape cassettes in an Oxfam music shop in Edinburgh. My girlfriend and I binge listened to them on one of my Walkmans. We used a headphone splitter and both had a set of earbuds. In my opinion, it's a much better way to spend your evening than sitting braindead in front of Netflix.
All that aside, there is one thing I own that I wish was practical enough to use on a daily basis and that's my JVC GR-C1, the same camera used in back to the future. I've used it for 2 of my music videos. You can check it out here.

View: https://youtu.be/rbdZGECuUwY

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I still use my Nintendo DS lite daily to listen to my music using an homebre application called Moonshell2:

index.php

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Technology doesn't really last all that long tbh. Even 5 years old is pretty ancient nowadays. It's not the 70's anymore where a fridge lasts 30 years.

It sucks but that's how it is
A decent computer from a decade ago is still perfectly usable today if you just swap out a few parts (SSD for HD). Hell, I have a Macbook from 2008 that I installed a small SSD and Xubuntu on and it still gets daily use by my kids watching Youtube.

The business I work for is almost entirely on machines over five years old I've kept going by by installing upgrades and flattening them every few years.

Granted, gaming is the exception, but for most day-to-day use cases computers are usable for quite a long time. In the case of your stream, that was a bargin bin PC when it was new and as you said, you are still using it seven years later. Imagine if t was something from 2015 you could pop an SSD in and max the ram to 16 gigs or something. You'd be golden until at least 2025.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
A decent computer from a decade ago is still perfectly usable today if you just swap out a few parts (SSD for HD).
My parent still use their Windows 7 PC from 2009. Aside for a minor RAM upgrade (1gb to 4gb), the machine is vitually unchanged I think.

As for myself, the PC I am currently on was built in december 2016. I intend to use it for the next decade if not more. Some of my gamers™ friends are terrified at that prospect, but I do not care for I am a Sustainer of Eternity.

If it's not broken don't fix it.

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
Wait, how did you take this screenshot?
I discovered that there was an hidden screenshot function built-in after reading some ancient documentation about this homebrew app.

Sadly the function is somewhat instable and crash your device after using it (but still produce the screenshot at least).