What's your favorite manga?

ThyOde17

Tree Spiking Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awards
hunter x hunter. too bad its been on hiatus forever and will probably never be finished.
Glad this reply did not age well. At least we will get like 4 chapters and then another hiatus!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Glad this reply did not age well. At least we will get like 4 chapters and then another hiatus!
Word on the street is 10 chapters minimum before hiatus :lainDance:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Taleisin

Lab-coat Illuminatus
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

UCD

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
blame (my favourite manga of all time, also read knights of sidonia)
planetes (underrated as hell)(vinland saga author)
houseki no kuni (land of the lustrous)
melancholia
panpanya (everything by this author is good and basically the same)
fire punch (also read goodbye eri, chainsaw man is a given)
claymore
shimeji simulation
dorohedoro (also read dai dark)
alice in borderlands

I haven't read berzerk or punpun fully, even so I guarantee they would be in my top 10 but you already know about them. I'm reading 21st century boys right now as well and it is awesome, also probably in my top 10.

Honestly I could list a bunch more, there is so much great stuff out there , buried deep deeeeep under all the dogshit

Virtual Cafe Awards

Nephaneel

Brute of the Lagoon
Reaction score
Awards
Ooh, a manga thread. How succulent. If I had to choose a single manga as my favourite, I think my pick would have to be Dorohedoro. The first time I read it, I was completely enthralled by the world and characters Hayashida had crafted. Her work has left a lasting influence on me. That reminds me, I have yet to read Hayashida's new work, Dai Dark, can't wait until its finished. Anyhow, here are some my favourite manga out of the 100~ or so I've read thus far (in no particular order):
Honorable mentions...

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
I'm going to echo what many others have said and go with Blame! It's just too good. I would recommend the books Feersum Endjinn by Iain Banks and Great Sky River by Gregory Benford to any fellow Blameheads ITT, Tsutomu Nihei cited both as major inspirations for the story. I'm also a big fan of everything else Nihei has done, although I don't like his newer stuff as much. Knights of Sidonia was really good until the popularity of the anime adaptation pressured Nihei into rushing the ending.
Another manga I really like, although I can't really call it a favorite, is Ultra Heaven by Keiichi Koike. This thread made me go back and re-read it, and I'm glad I did. It's a Philip K. Dick-esque surreal sci-fi story set in a world where recreational psychedelics are 100% legal and people use brain-powered video game consoles to log into a virtual world powered by Buddhist meditation. It was cancelled after three volumes, but it's still a satisfying read due to how episodic each volume is. The art is absolutely incredible. Not only is it incredibly detailed, but Koike is able to use imagery and paneling techniques to add subtext to the story in a really cool way. It captures the feeling of drug-induced temporal disorientation better than anything else I've ever seen.
Ultra Heaven v02.rar-UltraHeaven_vol2_090.png

Ultra Heaven v03.zip-Ultra Heaven v03 [GWR]-Ultra Heaven v03 - 134-135.jpg

You can read the whole thing in a sitting and I'd highly recommend checking it out. It might be the most underrated manga of all time, at least in terms of how good it is vs. how few people I've ever heard talk about it. Make sure you use a manga reader that can load images as a two-page spread.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Servocon

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cservocon.itch.io
I have come here to shill Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru by Ishiguro Masakazu, basically the perfect manga if you like both mystery/paranormal and extremely slice of life slice of life stories. There isn't much plot aside from watching the characters develop over a period of time, and it's all very episodic. Very much like visiting a friend and listening to their weird stories. It also has maids.

meido arigato.png

Angelo

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Homunculus
I wanted to read 1-2chaps of this one night, but ended up reading the entire and waking up with an empty head devoid of any thoughts whatsoever. Then 20mins later going "wtf did I just read?"
Hey, I also really enjoyed this one. It's such a trippy manga filled with dreamlike jungian symbolism with which I love. It made me wonder if maybe there could be something to trepanning, but I'm not about to drill a hole in my skull and find out. :SmoothKirb:

Virtual Cafe Awards

ThePetlessZuy

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Oh hey a question I can answer without difficulty, let's go.

So I watched anime as a teenager a good bit but I pretty much dead stopped in like 2017 or so in the middle of Boku No Hero and didn't watch any anime for ages after that...my wife isn't into much anime and I would only watch the occasional, until one fateful day sometime last year right after Netflix introduced the random watch button.

Plopped on the couch on a day to myself, figuring what's the worst that could happen at handing the chaos gods the fate of my afternoon, little realizing it would alter my life.

Sure enough after pressing that button, Hunter X Hunter came on and I thought why the hell not. After the first 3 episodes I was done, you could not drag me away from it. When it was finished I wanted more, so I watched the 1999 Anime (Which is better in everyday but being shorter IMO), after that I still needed more. As someone who had never read manga outside of the occasional short horror that plopped in front of me, I figured it was worth a shot, so I started reading. I was done with the Hunter X Hunter manga in a week, left feeling unsatisfied and yearning for more, only to learn that it was in limbo, with narry a word in 2 years of hiatus. Hunter X Hunter made me feel things I hadn't felt since I was a child. Viewing eyes upon an unlimited world, one where humans rank only by their strength of will and no other criteria, a world of mystery unbound and endless possibility open to all who have the will to throw open the gates.

The 1999 in particular was amazing with its anesthetics from sweeping green fields, to sweeping metropolises, with powerful organizations, and FUCKING HUMAN BRAIN COMPUTERS. It had been one of the biggest things on my mind every single day for almost a year now and I cannot shake the tingly in my head over the thought of a mere 10 more chapters. After Hunter x Hunter I vowed to never start reading or watching a manga or anime that couldn't keep me satisfied. So naturally I started reading One Piece.

I tried watching it, I really did. I spent maybe an entire week binging it but my wife wouldn't watch it with me and I didn't have the solo time to even get past half a days reading of the Manga, so I just stuck to reading it. It's clever, smart, fun, but most importantly damn near endless. Over a 1000 chapters that took me nearly 3 months to catch up to with consistent chapters every week through one of the tensest and anticipated finales ti an arch in Manga history, and I lucked into the climax starting reading as it released around chapter 1020, boy I felt lucky. Nothing worse than a 4 week hiatus while getting the biggest reveal in the series not 6 months after starting reading? Not to mention Hunter X Hunter ending an almost 3 month hiatus right when One Piece starts failing to hold me over? My manga luck is shining.

Also caught up to finishing Boku no Hero Academy since I don't have patience for Anime anymore, and also reading Kuno won't let me be invisible which is absolutely adorable.

But to go back to the question asked, it's Hunter X Hunter, because I can hardly thing of any media that engrossed me so much as to make me feel that my entire purpose in this life was to be in the golden age of Hunter X Hunter and experience it in its prime. It feels like my souls long yearning is coming due and I am eternally grateful.
TL;DR Hunter x Hunter in its entirety was a spiritual experience dictated by elder gods.
Allow me to attach some of my favorite stills from the Manga.
Screenshot_20211118-112138_Manga Cookie.jpg
Screenshot_20211115-134645_Manga Cookie.jpg
Screenshot_20211115-105907_Manga Cookie.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
TL;DR Hunter x Hunter in its entirety was a spiritual experience dictated by elder gods.
@Andy Kaufman
Allow me to be a smug asshole for a second

:JahySmug:

There. I got my enjoyment. I am very sorry for being like this.

I love Holyland, I finished that shit in a single sitting. Probably the best martial arts manga I've read as of now.

F965B550-1B0C-4DE2-B98B-8BDAF6A33C9C.png

Also, the guy who made Holyland is the guy now in charge of finishing Berserk, so that's something.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Servocon

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cservocon.itch.io
Recently reading The Fable (by Minami Katsuhisa). It's a story about a yakuza assassin who is ordered to live a normal life for a year.
Highly recommended.
I've been keeping up with The Fable for awhile now, the last two volumes just got translated so I read them at work, excellent ending and a great manga all around. Funny too. It really did a great job at managing to stay grounded even with all the crazy stuff going on. I also watched the movie some time ago, it was an okay movie but not a great adaptation in my opinion.

HellManMayo

Please be patient, I have autism.
Reaction score
Awards
Hijacking this thread with no survivors :Crash1:

These aren't my favorite, but they are up there and I wanna share them/discuss something that's not either the internet dying or vaporwave.

1663592196290.png

BIBLIOMANIA is great, although it's not a published manga. I can't give a synopsis without spoiling anything, but I can tell you that it's a surreal, albeit short trip. Lots of incredible visuals and paneling that you never see in other manga. It's works like these that make me excited to dumpster dive through garbage like "I fell in love with my step-sister in an otherworld as a microwave with MAX stats?!?!?!?!"

1663592603759.png

1663592616748.png

1663592630295.png

1663592582663.png

https://mangadex.org/title/57650/bibliomania

Augustus

Princeps Civitatis
Reaction score
Awards