What's your style of Vapor?

vaporghoul

どこにいますか?
Reaction score
Awards
We all know that Vaporwave loads of branching subgenre's, which creates a really interesting dynamic to me in the Vaporwave scene. So I ask, what is your more preferred style of Vaporwave? For me, it has to be stuff like Vaporgoth, (look up chinese hackers on bandcamp to get an idea) Dark Ambient/Drone, and Hypnogogic Drift. For me I've always liked the darker vaporwave ever since i listened to I'll Try Living Like This and other stuff by Death's Dynamic Shroud.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 795

I like being all over the place, actually. Makes for a more confusing but satisfying album. Although, one album of mine clearly DOES fit into a specific category, that being mallsoft. But even there, there's "variances" from the standard.

Best way to describe the mess that I put out would be that it takes vaporwave, meshes a troublesome psychedelic layer (less Grateful Dead, WAY MORE Butthole Surfers) with that, bits of musique concrete trickery, then it plays around with the sort of rock hype devices in some cases to make things even more problematic. Vaporpsych.

vaporghoul

どこにいますか?
Reaction score
Awards
Lugia909 said:
I like being all over the place, actually. Makes for a more confusing but satisfying album. Although, one album of mine clearly DOES fit into a specific category, that being mallsoft. But even there, there's "variances" from the standard.

Best way to describe the mess that I put out would be that it takes vaporwave, meshes a troublesome psychedelic layer (less Grateful Dead, WAY MORE Butthole Surfers) with that, bits of musique concrete trickery, then it plays around with the sort of rock hype devices in some cases to make things even more problematic. Vaporpsych.
I've never produced or made vaporwave myself (I have nothing to do it with) so I think it's cool to hear from someone who does. If I ever get started my goal is create darkvapor and/or hypnagogic drift with obscure and unique sampling. I feel like I would keep consistency however being all over the place is good too (for example Liberated From The World)

Virtual Cafe Awards

IK∆RUS

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Re: Qual é o seu estilo de Vapor?

RETROwave and Future funk.

CLXMSY DXCKLYNG

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Honestly I'm very flexible. I made a sega-haze album last month, a slushwave album a week afterwards, and recently a traditional vaporwave album. I love dwelling into new subgenres.

Virtual Cafe Awards

TakZero

Anxious
Reaction score
My choice will always be NUWRLD because I love this mix of pop/jpop/kpop/game music, and it's very emotional to me.

PrimeLogos

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
I love classic style Vaporwave, like the stuff by nothing and tupperwave.
I also love Late Night LoFi which which is a subgenre of Vaporwave (Luxury elite - With love, for example)

gogi93

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I've had my music called "dreamwave", so I guess I enjoy that...lol

But I think (in no particular order) my favorites are hypnagogic drift, utopian, mallsoft, late night lo-fi, and future visions (plus whatever you want to call what Win96 does).

Virtual Cafe Awards

allconnected

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
I'm all about chords and chord progressions, to me they're the color aspect to music. So, if you've got some sevenths and ninths in there and you're veering off the common-practice path, I'm in. I find that a lot of future funk artists are on that wavelength. Anyone know a particular subgenre that's good with chords?

Virtual Cafe Awards

dorgon

Violently Peaceful
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
dorgon.neocities.org
I'm pretty flexible too. I've always liked the haircuts for men music, because i can use it for studying and chilling, same with desert sand feels warm at night. But I'd say that Caesar's Palace by Kodak Cameo and future by bbrainz are my top 2 vaporwave choices of all time.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
I really like vaporwave that tries anything different or samples music that wouldn't typically be sampled, but which makes complete sense as vaporwave. For example, I once listened to "Sounds From The Black Lodge" all the way through because the idea of an album that only sampled Angelo Badalamenti's Twin Peaks score sounded compelling to me, and sure enough, it was a really fun listen:

I've never even seen Twin Peaks- I've seen most of Lynch's filmography, I've seen Mulholland Drive and Eraserhead and Wild At Heart and even Rabbits, and I've listened to Crazy Clown Time. I guess I'd probably like Twin Peaks if I ever watched it, but for the time being I'm content to enjoy it in vaporwave form, because Badalamenti is an accomplished composer and his music fits the style extremely well.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Placeholder

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The ambient side of vaporwave always delivers. I'm sure there's lots of quality ambient in other genres, but vaporwave ambient album covers do a great job visualizing the artist's sound. It's easy to find exactly the type of ambient sound you want so I've stuck to the scene for my peaceful music cravings.

Virtual Cafe Awards