Where does your artist name come from?

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
My artist name is different from my username here. Basically gibberish, a combination of the website URL of an old Day of Defeat server I used to play on and an old anime.
But is your dad car?

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Yes. Hanatarash jacked my style.
Awesome.

8332940.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

雪データ jɯᵝ/kʲi\• de\ːta​

Literally translates to 'Snow Data'. I was considering using 冬 as it more directly relates to my actual name, but I prefer the hard and then soft sound of Yu•Ki as opposed to the soft-soft of Fu•Yu

Sometimes on older televisions, when the signal is bad or there is no signal, you'll get black and white 'fuzziness' scrambling on your screen. When I was a kid, people would call this 'TV snow'. So, to me, something about the idea of snow has always been interlaced with the transmission of digital signals. It adds this sort of soft, analogue vibe to something that is harsh and digital (like the soft Yu followed by the harsh Ki). So, combine all of that concept with it being a pseudo-representation of my actual name, just like usernames back in t hose days used to be some sort of pseudo-representation of oneself, and you kinda get this amalgamation of soft, analogue reality mixed in with the harshness of digital fakeness, sort of like how people approach the internet these days (e.g. Facebook having people use real names, encouraging them to 'be themselves', even though its all a fake, digital space).

Hopefully my music will be as complex as my naming scheme one day.

Ever read Snow Crash?

Virtual Cafe Awards
9:25 am
I originally wanted to use 925 (Pronounced Nine-Two-Five) as my artist name, but that name was already used by one or more artists, then I randomly came up with that as a time after laying bored in my bed one day.
At the same time, I also came up with 9:25 PM for the darker tracks.

Arctic ❄°
I wanted a name that would fit the name of Snowpunk music and have it be a little abstract but didn't want to use Kanji etc, I then checked on streaming platforms if it was possible to use Unicode characters (through distribution loopholes) and saw a rapper with a Unicode snowflake in their name which was a confirmation I could use that as well in my name.

Languish Health Center
This was basically me searching through the thesaurus looking for a word that would fit the feeling of exhaustion. The idea for my alarm clock songs was that the artist was basically some sort of "company" offering help for sleeping problems.

The Haunted Ghost Notes
This was kinda a "throwaway" alias I came up with for Music For Libraries, I came up with it at that exact moment I made it.
May or may not do future releases with it.

Virtual Cafe Awards
aralsheart, Aral's heart. Аральское сердце.

Of course, this refers to the Aral sea between Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan. It's been drying up since the 1960s not just because of climate change, but because in the Soviet era the waters of its "mother rivers", Amu Darya and Syr Daria, were diverted to irrigate cotton fields. The saddest part is that the canals were leaky for the most part, so a lot of water was wasted in the process. Now the sea is pretty much dried up and full of toxic shit that ruins the health of the local populations on either side of the border. Thank you comrades...

I found a parallel with how I was at the time. I felt as if my heart was dry. I grew up fearing being considered "selfish" or "egotistical" and "diverted my water" to others, so to speak, because if I dared think of myself, it was apparently not normal, or it was "selfish", when the same people tell you to be yourself and think of yourself first. My heart would fill up at times, but then go back to being dry as a fuckin' desert. Interestingly enough also, "Aral" in Turkic and Mongolic languages means "island" or "archipelago", and I can say that as an introvert, especially one who can't get arsed doing the whole "getting to know you" round at the moment, it's comparable to being an island. On a funny note I later found out that the Aral sea did in fact have a heart shaped bit, although it's probably dried up by now. It happens all the time: I have a symbol or something else popping in my head, but then discover later that I had no idea how perfect it fits or how well it described what was going on at the time.

I'll keep this one for a long time, hopefully forever.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I picked my name because by definition it suits my music.
Definition of 'selcouth'
1. odd, unusual, or extraordinary in appearance, effect, manner, etc; peculiar. 2. not known, seen, or experienced before; unfamiliar. a strange land.

I picked this name because it's very likely that my music will never reach surface level consumption. I make odd music that is unknown and will likely never see the light of day, so when someone discovers the music I make they'll be experiencing something that few people have.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
I know.
The reason I can say I know is because when the word 'genius' is not something that is individually, you know, that it's not anything individual necessarily, takes credit for- do you know what I mean? If a person is indeed a genius, that geniusness has been given to him as a gift. So, it's not as if it's something that I have done, that's why I have been able to say 'I know' instead of 'thank you', because if I was saying 'thank you' that would mean I would be taking credit for it. It's that I say 'I know' because I know that I got the gift, genius.

Virtual Cafe Awards

isolation suite

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
i got loads of names but never put anything out online lol, i did some fake album covers too but most of them have been lost on my old hard drive

Virtual Cafe Awards

Sinthôme

Golem Aglow
Reaction score
Awards

wuso

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
It sounded cool.

Attachments

• 99400v5s58p81.jpg
    99400v5s58p81.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 28
Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
No artist name, so I'll share my username. I stole it from a Gorillaz art. I used to have a few other user names, perfectodst219 from Xbox live rng. RhinestoneEye, once again stolen from Gorillaz.
tumblr_nj2czcUPX61u9e5leo1_250.jpg

I am not an original person.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Miku Simpson

Woohoo Christmas
Reaction score
Awards
The name I use most often everywhere online is Ryaartt, which is half a shortened version of my real name, and the other half is just Art with a few extra letters thrown in for fun, not that creative...
One of my roommates picked the name for this account here though, don't know why but probably something bird related; but also to distinguish between my online presence and here which is slightly more personal I suppose

Virtual Cafe Awards
The first 3 albums by my favorite band (starflyer 59) had entirely monochrome covers, and I changed my artist name around the same time I started to get really into them

Virtual Cafe Awards