Which platform is worse: Discord or >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk?

• Thread starter Onryō
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 1082 times.

Onryō

A post-human survival horror story.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Aight fellow travelers, now I have quite an interest into the general opinion about these two platforms from this forum.
Any experience, anecdote, story is more than welcome, so feel free to explain.
1675537457596.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

xdsoftware

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Aight fellow travelers, now I have quite an interest into the general opinion about these two platforms from this forum.
Any experience, anecdote, story is more than welcome, so feel free to explain.
View attachment 52135
The winner for me, from what I have heard, goes to reddit. Discord may be overused beyond belief, but at least there is some comfy communities if you try to find hard enough. >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk on the other hand is filled to the brim with horrible politics, bad moderators and even worse, is widely considered to be the surface web version of the darknet. Now that is fucked up.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Twitter that's obviously, >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk is just hated as a meme, is not really thaaaat bad, it can be quite useful actually if you know how to use it, discord, is just a place to go nuts and interact with people and friend, like a contemporary windows messenger.

They are not good, but also not bad at all, but twitter, man, twitter is hell on earth, everyone is a fucking piranha there and you will definetely eat alive, once you entered your live will be 25% worse for real.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Onryō

A post-human survival horror story.
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Twitter that's obviously, >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk is just hated as a meme, is not really thaaaat bad, it can be quite useful actually if you know how to use it, discord, is just a place to go nuts and interact with people and friend, like a contemporary windows messenger.

They are not good, but also not bad at all, but twitter, man, twitter is hell on earth, everyone is a fucking piranha there and you will definetely eat alive, once you entered your live will be 25% worse for real.
Dunno man, >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk used to be really cool back then, now is just a cringey leftist hellhole, at least much of the site.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Dunno man, >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk used to be really cool back then, now is just a cringey leftist hellhole, at least much of the site.
I don't really care about politics, and do not engage in politics at all, i just go to gaming, memes and piracy subreddits and those are just focusing on the topic itself, the thing about >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk is that it works in base at how you use it, perhaps it's because is not my main social media (i barely use >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk at all and is mostly to rob touhou memes) or the fact you are just biased, but the thing is, in comparasion to things like twitter, >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk is tame.
1675578434754.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
>redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk is just hated as a meme, is not really thaaaat bad, it can be quite useful actually if you know how to use it
Speaking honestly, I've only ever found some >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk megathreads to be any good. For instance, if it's been a while since I've pirated something I go check a recent piracy megathread to see what the current sources and news is. I've found it is a waste of time for tech support though, of course because other websites exist for that.
Between Discord or >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk as a platform for lots of people to discuss, I'd say Discord is way worse. I've joined tons of servers and there is always a #general #introductions (with a mandatory template, and everyones intros read the same way) #off-topic #memes #bot-chat #music-bot and sometimes #giveaways #promotions et cetera if it's a big server. It makes every server feel the same. Then there's all the other channels which I actually want to use, which are always low-activity, arguments, or dumb questions that would be promptly answered by Google. I sometimes find useful things on >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, but I have never once found anything of value on Discord. Also, I've noticed everyone types the exact same so it doesn't even feel like I'm talking with different people. Everyone also does that thing where they send a bunch of short messages instead of one big one, which is a habit I'm guilty of too.
I only use it because everyone I associate with is on it, nobody my age will use SMS or e-mail as a primary communication. I also have a server where I transfer the occasional photo from phone to computer.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
I only use it because everyone I associate with is on it, nobody my age will use SMS or e-mail as a primary communication
Why would they do that? Is quite outdated.
I also have a server where I transfer the occasional photo from phone to computer.
Yup finally someone get it, the best thing about discord, is that it can work as your personal image cloud service.

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
Both are as good or as bad as you make them.
They're platforms.
You can have good subreddits and good discord servers you can be apart of.

But in-terms of data collection, bot-problems, and psy-ops? >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk is the worse of the two imo.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Digital Cheese

Learning German Lets Gooooo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
digitalcheese.xyz
Its hard to decide, though I'd have to say Discord as bad as >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk is. If you asked me a year ago, I'd probably say >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk but I've since discovered way better alternatives to Discord like Guilded and touching grass.

Fuck Shitcord
Discord has better alternatives like Guilded, the only good thing about it that isn't easily beaten by Guilded or another alternative is how big it is. Literally nearly every community you'll find now has a Discord, many times its more active than the forums or even subreddits in some cases.

On top of that, the shitty changes to the username system after having it for 8 goddamn years is fucking bullshit. Then you have to account for all the information that will be lost whenever a server dies because everyone is just using Discord to share info now. If Discord were simply used as a chat, it would probably not be a big deal. However, way too many people use it for their entire communities with a dead forum which pisses me off. They have a forum, they should use it for actually important information.

Example below with RiiConnect24, this is bullshit. They have a few other platforms like >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk, why not make updates on >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk or YouTube? Why force people to join a damn Discord server just to get updates for their service?
1686776378136.png

Thats not the only one, here is WiiLink which requires you to join a Discord to register ur console ID just for some Homebrew stuff.
1686776652860.png

Thats fucking bullshit. I was a little interested in WiiLink at first, but until theres a non-Discord system (even if it were >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk or a forum site), I don't want to bother with it. These aren't even the only examples I've seen, but I'm not spending all day to write it when everyone here already knows this is beyond stupid of an idea.

Why >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk Is Slightly Better?
So despite all its issues (political tards, powermods, just being overall shitty for no reason), at least >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk usually isn't locked behind joining a subreddit to even see content in most cases. Sure you can set it to be that way, but most subreddits don't. It takes 50% of subreddits going private (or whatever the number is now) for it to even be noticable and the dumbasses said they would end the protest on a certain date with few exceptions to the subreddits so soon that will all be public again. Hell, that might not even be an issue even if they continue protesting as they might just try to change the moderators out for some subs.

Many times I find answers to tech-related stuff through some 12yo thread on >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk that most people have forgotten about by now. Its useful, it should stay that way and not be taken over by a shitty discord server that would have all of the info (or most of it) lost the moment it shuts down with no easy way to archive it or even incentive to for the average person. Granted, Discord is taking over even more and at this point I think I'd rather just keep >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk up if it meant Discord would become the place for all the useful tech stuff. I don't think anyone will use forums as the default anytime soon, certainly not enough to counteract the people just using Discord.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Thats not the only one, here is WiiLink which requires you to join a Discord to register ur console ID just for some Homebrew stuff.
simple: it is on discord for *privacy* reasons (only for those interested/who know - circlejerk 1000) - not to be public, to be (not) harassed/banned/deleted/inquisition'd...

Virtual Cafe Awards

Digital Cheese

Learning German Lets Gooooo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
digitalcheese.xyz
simple: it is on discord for *privacy* reasons (only for those interested/who know - circlejerk 1000) - not to be public, to be (not) harassed/banned/deleted/inquisition'd...
Lmaooooooo. Seriously, its pathetic how many services do that shit. It just gets people who have 5IQ to leave or at least be hesitant about it.

Virtual Cafe Awards