Which themes or genres are getting ignored in games?

JihyoParkXX

Scum Fuck Flower Boy
Reaction score
Awards
Legal action/ thrillers? The only lawyer simulators I know of are the Ace Attorney series and the Harvey Birdman game. Close comparisons made are the Danganronpa games which is just anime Among Us. We have a lot more detective games though, perhaps writing lawyer games is too challenging.
Harvey_Birdman-_Attorney_at_Law_-_2008_-_Capcom_Co.,_Ltd..jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Legal action/ thrillers? The only lawyer simulators I know of are the Ace Attorney series and the Harvey Birdman game. Close comparisons made are the Danganronpa games which is just anime Among Us. We have a lot more detective games though, perhaps writing lawyer games is too challenging.View attachment 24672
I didn't knew about this Ace Attorney Spin Off.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
* Cooking games are a bit lacking in my opinion. There is quality stuff like Cook Serve Delicious, Chefsquad, overcooked(More arcadey) and cooking mama, but for every 5 good games, there are 100 flash games (Girl Game garbage) esque shovelware. The ratio between quality and junk is very small. You learn how to cook.
* Strategy games focusing on managing businesses. Surely the genre has some quality outputs like Planet Coaster and Zoo and Two point hospital and academia and game dev tycoon but i feel it needs more quality variety.
* Games about building weaponery and armory. I personaly know a game by Flipside studios(The creators of Papa pizzeria) about making swords, but idk if it's ignored aspect in games.
* Indie action-adventure games. Personally I think it needs a variety in this genre by the indie scene but most of the games i know try to mimic zelda gameplay and even graphics like ripping off alttp and game boy entries like Oceanhorn or the myriads of walking simulators i see on itch.io . While i'm fine people who like those games, I rarely see effort and creativity on those games to stand out on their own. Examples: Sable, Creature of the well, Outer Wilds.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

shinobu

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Awards
* Cooking games are a bit lacking in my opinion. There is quality stuff like Cook Serve Delicious, Chefsquad, overcooked(More arcadey) and cooking mama, but for every 5 good games, there are 100 flash games (Girl Game garbage) esque shovelware. The ratio between quality and junk is very small. You learn how to cook.
* Strategy games focusing on managing businesses. Surely the genre has some quality outputs like Planet Coaster and Zoo and Two point hospital and academia and game dev tycoon but i feel it needs more quality variety.
* Games about building weaponery and armory. I personaly know a game by Flipside studios(The creators of Papa pizzeria) about making swords, but idk if it's ignored aspect in games.

These ideas kind of describe the difficulty of making a game for an existing activity or concept. I thought a bit about it after making my post and these game ideas are usually problematic from a design point of view because they're just not very adaptable to games. Usually if you want a game on woodworking, or blacksmithing or cooking or architecture you'll find a lot of thinly veiled arcade games because the alternative would be too boring (3 hours of alternating between heating a piece of metal and hammering it, anyone?). So you have to grab the interesting bits and gamify them by adding timing, or remembering a sequence of actions, or something like that.

This sounds like game design 101, but the question can be rewritten as "Why are there some topics that have no games designed around it?" and maybe the answer is that they're just not fit for games, or we need better game designers or something.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
These ideas kind of describe the difficulty of making a game for an existing activity or concept. I thought a bit about it after making my post and these game ideas are usually problematic from a design point of view because they're just not very adaptable to games. Usually if you want a game on woodworking, or blacksmithing or cooking or architecture you'll find a lot of thinly veiled arcade games because the alternative would be too boring (3 hours of alternating between heating a piece of metal and hammering it, anyone?). So you have to grab the interesting bits and gamify them by adding timing, or remembering a sequence of actions, or something like that.

This sounds like game design 101, but the question can be rewritten as "Why are there some topics that have no games designed around it?" and maybe the answer is that they're just not fit for games, or we need better game designers or something.
It's perhaps the lack of the interest from developers.

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
* Games about south asian cultures or draw inspiration from it like Falcon Age. I like the aesthetics and the settings of those places.
* Good Lovecraftian games. There is so much lore outside of usual Cthulu that is untapped potential and it works great for horror games.
* Horror games that aren't random jumpscares like Detention and layers of fear.
* Not genre or theme specific, but good games centered around DUNE universe. The movie recently came out and the interest is growing. I know how troubled are the development stories but the development of that strategy game by Shiro games and the acclaimed open world give me hopes.
* Good Y2K aesthetic indie games. There are crossniq+, bombrush cyberfunk, but a wipeout esque racer with 90s rave, jungle music would me amazing. Fast rmx fills the void. Or a music one with that kind of music.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Arena shooters.
The market needs a good arena shooter now more than ever. The fps genre is oversaturated with BR's and hero shooters. Halo Infinite was supposed to be a return to form but unfortunately it's failing at the moment because of poor choices made by 343. But right now, I'd reckon that people are starting to get weary of BR's and are looking for something with less RNG.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RIG

Starship Trooper
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
store.steampowered.com
Indian Mythology. Indian mythology is very diverse and not that well-known in the west and suprisingly Indian gaming industry is not as strong as Japanese, American and Polish for a country of 1 billion people.
I love Indian mythology, I read a lot of it while working on my own stuff. Smt got me into reading a lot of that stuff

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The market needs a good arena shooter now more than ever. The fps genre is oversaturated with BR's and hero shooters. Halo Infinite was supposed to be a return to form but unfortunately it's failing at the moment because of poor choices made by 343. But right now, I'd reckon that people are starting to get weary of BR's and are looking for something with less RNG.
Or creative experimental shooter games like Splatoon and Superhot,

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
More immersive exploration games like Penumbra/Thief. Not necessarily walking simulators; filled with danger and puzzles. I'd also enjoy more SS2 esque imsims.
I hope Botw2 fills the niche since it will be more dark and mysterious than the previous title.

Virtual Cafe Awards

ZinRicky

Vapor Number & Data Guy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
zinricky.tilde.team
The RTS genre has been almost entirely ignored ever since that MOBA trash took off.
I'd love to find a new RTS game (and I mean a new IP, not Age of Empires 25 or Civ LVI) that doesn't feel old or simplistic

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards