What's new

Whimsigothic - Aesthetic Highlight #3

Emmy Fitz

Well-Known Traveler
Awards
Whimsigothic (1990s)

original_e7308017b3dfa4b565cfa1e5ff932959.jpg

Whimsigothic is an aesthetic that was popular throughout the entirety of the '90s, growing out of the popularity of Tim Burton, mainstreamification of gothic culture, and Margo Chase's graphic design. It's often seen on albums, promotional artwork, interior design, and furniture.

original_70ecaf31dd52b9bc1353386775a8ed38.jpg

81qra3D6x3L._SL1494_.jpg

original_9cb35302ec2c64cc6149b6414dd98639.jpg

original_a0d360a9c1c2447818621868b745456e.jpg

original_a473fcb25c43e90440572ccb79cf299e.jpg

This is one of my personal favorite aesthetics, I adore it. It reminds me a lot of the restaurants my parents would visit when I was young, Arclight Sherman Oaks, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

family mart fried chicken
Awards
Man I love this aesthetic, I wanted everything around me to look like this when I was a teenager. I remember being completely obsessed with this sort of thing and actively seeking out anything like it or related to it. I still really love stuff that has this aesthetic.

I really like old retail stores that have this aesthetic, the old Hot Topic site from the '90s was also kinda similar, here's a blog article on it. I know Torrid used to look like this and the oldschool castle design of Hot Topic feels reminiscent.

torrid.jpg

castle hot topic.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Tapeworm

Active Traveler
Awards
I've never seen the name for this aesthetic, but I absolutely love it. Reminds me of some of the covers for Neil Gaimans Sandman series, which I definitely recommend

1622421705711.png

1622421853505.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

Well-Known Traveler
Awards
Man I love this aesthetic, I wanted everything around me to look like this when I was a teenager. I remember being completely obsessed with this sort of thing and actively seeking out anything like it or related to it. I still really love stuff that has this aesthetic.

I really like old retail stores that have this aesthetic, the old Hot Topic site from the '90s was also kinda similar, here's a blog article on it. I know Torrid used to look like this and the oldschool castle design of Hot Topic feels reminiscent.

View attachment 3540
View attachment 3541
Hey I remember those hot topic designs!

Virtual Cafe Awards