• Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

- Upgrade now for supporter only awards! In Three Tiers

-- Agora Gold

-- Agora Silver

-- Agora Bronze

Upgrades like "moods" username customization, profile customization, custom backgrounds, banners and much more!

It will be under Account Upgrades

Submissions for Tales of Agora Road Issue #4 is OPEN! MAKE AGORA CHAN ART BY CLICKING HERE

Who is the shadow man?

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
So earlier today I was reading Lainchan and I found a post that mentionned the "shadow man":

1650640530400-0.jpg

Also called the "Hat man", this dude apparently stare at some people as they are trying to sleep.

Although I have never see the shadow man, I sometime hear Gameboy sounds before I go to sleep. I have therefore came to the conclusion that the shadow man owns a Gameboy and is purposely pissing me off. He sometimes whisper my name which is not very kino.

So my question are as follow:

• Who is the shadow man?
  • How do I make him go away.
Please halp me.

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org

DyingIon

in essence
Reaction score
Awards
I sometime hear Gameboy sounds before I go to sleep.
Dude, you just resurfaced a pretty deep memory of mine.I've always had trouble sleeping, with constant nightmares and sleep paralysis and seeing shit in the night as a kid. No stranger to the shadowman, and my father has stories of him too.

In my second bedroom growing up, my bed was up against the furthest wall, headrest on the wall and the foot of the bed facing my door across the room, with a TV and futon set up between them. One night I was awoken in sleep paralysis, but I was asleep on my stomach, facing my right. The door + futon behind me and to my left where I cant see it. From my futon, VIVIDLY I heard my gameboy start up, the classic sound it makes - followed by the initial fight music and title screen of Pokemon Blue, then followed by the music of walking around in the early overworld and the occasional pokemon encounter. I was fucking petrified, so fucking scared and forced myself to close my eyes and block everything out until I KO, like I did to get out of most of my sleep experiences. I wish it would of happened out of paralysis, where I could of moved to see what was happening.

I 100% know it was real. To this day, I have never had an audio hallucination, no cause to make me thing it was mental. All of my 'spiritual' experiences have been full spectrum, vivid and emotional - this audio very clearly in the room, coming from my futon, traveling to me. So reading you say this really freaked me out and I'd love to hear your stories about hearng Gameboy sounds. It's never happened to me since.

pronoundisrespecter

Raw Honey Defender
Reaction score
Awards
They're clearly malevolent/"demonic" (whatever word you wanna use is fine, it's all the same thing), as attempting to say/saying "Jesus Christ" or "leave in the name of Jesus Christ" during a sleep paralysis episode makes them go away.

They seem to enjoy scaring people and show up uninvited to do so. At least angels have the decency to disguise themselves as other people or remain invisible when interacting with people.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jellyfish Conan

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Here's a podcast episode on the topic: https://www.thehauntedcosmos.com/episodes/s1e4
They also conclude that it's demonic, and also IIRC (been a while since I listened to it) draw a connection with the Greek god Hermes and with Haitian voodoo's Baron Samedi.
Haven't yet fully decided to what degree I agree with them, don't have any personal experience with the matter either.

As to your Gameboy sounds, could perhaps be exploding head syndrome? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_head_syndrome

manpaint

Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org

Punp

3D/2D artist
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
This is so weird. One time as I was falling asleep on my couch in front of the tv I heard my gameboy turn on. It did that classic ping sound and then I heard Mario start up. There was also the sickly smell of cheese in the room. Like that artificial cheesypoofs smell.

I heard the clack of buttons and the d-pad moving for a bit with that classic Mario jump sound and then the sound of someone drawing snot up their nose like snrrrrt-hurghh. I couldn't turn around to see because of my sleep paralysis.

Then I saw a shadow on the wall that looked just like the fucking shadow man and then my fat eight year old autistic cousin wearing my uncle's cowboy hat ambled into view carrying my DMG, wiped his fucking snot-trail on his crumby orange hands and said "this is boring, do you have any games on your phone?"

But for real no I've never seen the shadow man except once when I saw shadow people crawling out the walls after staying awake for 48 hours. The human brain gets weird when it's in partial waking states.

Virtual Cafe Awards

happyhappy

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Whenever I was younger I remember I used to see shadow people all the time. The weird thing is they never seemed malicious and they wouldn't interact with me directly but I vividly remember them being there. I remember one time specifically I went out into the kitchen late at night and I saw a shadow man pacing back and forth in the corner of the room. It's a weird thing to describe but it's almost like he was contemplating something and didn't care to be bothered. I had several other encounters like this in my childhood but as I grew older they went away. To this day I am still unsure of what I experienced or if anyone else has had a similar experience. My first guess would be sleep paralysis although the only issue with that is I wasn't asleep. Pretty wacky experience.

Punp

3D/2D artist
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
Whenever I was younger I remember I used to see shadow people all the time. The weird thing is they never seemed malicious and they wouldn't interact with me directly but I vividly remember them being there. I remember one time specifically I went out into the kitchen late at night and I saw a shadow man pacing back and forth in the corner of the room. It's a weird thing to describe but it's almost like he was contemplating something and didn't care to be bothered. I had several other encounters like this in my childhood but as I grew older they went away. To this day I am still unsure of what I experienced or if anyone else has had a similar experience. My first guess would be sleep paralysis although the only issue with that is I wasn't asleep. Pretty wacky experience.
Was it clear to you at the time that it was a hallucination, or did it occur to you afterwards?

Virtual Cafe Awards

happyhappy

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Was it clear to you at the time that it was a hallucination, or did it occur to you afterwards?
I knew that my mind was probably playing tricks on me but I never confronted them. If I left them alone for a while they would usually go away. I didn't mention this in my first post but we used to have this old wooden rocking chair that the previous owners of the house had left for us. Maybe it was just the fact that it was kinda creepy but most of the encounters would happen around that chair. I remember one time specifically in the middle of the night I saw the shadow man in the chair just rocking back and forth. The chair moved with him which I thought was really strange for a hallucination. The weird part is that a few of my siblings reported that they saw the same chair rocking back and forth in the middle of the night on multiple occasions. They could have been lying or exaggerating but around the time we threw out the old chair, I stopped seeing the shadow people. Coincidence or not, definitely one of the strangest parts of my childhood.

Splendid Ap

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I honestly can see it as maybe just a psychological thing or even a meme. I truly believe people are making this phenomenon way more interesting than it actually is.

Anonicus

anonicus.net webmaster
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
anonicus.net
I have had Experiences and my Fiance's brother has also had experiences with Shadows, but i don't know if it was Shadow Man in particular.

So my Fiance's brother is Pagan and typically he did experience Spiritually things since he seems more sensitive towards it. And there was some things like Warped faces in the window, Shadow in the corner in the room (Possibly Shadow Man), and when he had an alter for Dionysus the offerings ended up changing the taste of the chocolate.
Me personally I have dealt with whispers before and even a point of waking up to seeing partially a face of a woman who had a star tattoo under her eye that vanished quite fast.

Also one time when I was 7 years old, I was having a nightmare and my dad came in to check on me. As he comforted me and was getting out, I heard him say "What the hell do you want?"
The next day when I was overhearing a conversation, He claimed to have seen Jesus there.

Idk, I have had many paranormal experiences in my life to not be a believer (I've came back to being Pagan in August), But I'm pretty sure I have dealt with the Shadow Man before.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Doctor Dirck

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Here's a pretty good older documentary on Shadow People.

I'm not super sure what to make of the phenomenon. I think it's a little of your body releasing the chemical that paralyses you while you sleep, mixed with the mentality that is being stuck between dreaming and being awake. I thankfully haven't had the experience before but from what I understand the more you hear about it and become exposed to it the more likely you are to experience it so I don't read too much about it. The documentary talks about how it's been around for a long long time; many women hundreds of years ago had dreams where demons snuck into their room to have sex with them and/or sit on their chest similar to the shadow people we know now. I suppose that's all they had to dream about back then instead of now which seems to be liminal spaces or whatever. Kind of interesting though that tons of people have similar dreams to one another, a thing now documented across eras.

Punp

3D/2D artist
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
I have had Experiences and my Fiance's brother has also had experiences with Shadows, but i don't know if it was Shadow Man in particular.

So my Fiance's brother is Pagan and typically he did experience Spiritually things since he seems more sensitive towards it. And there was some things like Warped faces in the window, Shadow in the corner in the room (Possibly Shadow Man), and when he had an alter for Dionysus the offerings ended up changing the taste of the chocolate.
Me personally I have dealt with whispers before and even a point of waking up to seeing partially a face of a woman who had a star tattoo under her eye that vanished quite fast.

Also one time when I was 7 years old, I was having a nightmare and my dad came in to check on me. As he comforted me and was getting out, I heard him say "What the hell do you want?"
The next day when I was overhearing a conversation, He claimed to have seen Jesus there.

Idk, I have had many paranormal experiences in my life to not be a believer (I've came back to being Pagan in August), But I'm pretty sure I have dealt with the Shadow Man before.
That's so unfair, my mom won't let us have carbon monoxide in the house.

Virtual Cafe Awards