Why did you pick your username?

Darohan

Live the Hiraeth Dream
Reaction score
Awards
I had a series of dreams in which I was referred to as "Darohan" rather than my actual name, so I used it as a username in a game. It felt weirdly natural to be called that, so I changed almost all my other internet profiles to "Darohan" as well. I later found out that it means "farm/plough/deal with" in Binisaya, a language from the southern Philippines ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I can't for the life of me figure out why I'd dream of having such a name, but I know that there is only 1 other Darohan on the internet - I hope one day I can find them and ask them their story :D

Virtual Cafe Awards

waterfall2117

The Ffinity Corp™
Reaction score
Awards
Website
linktr.ee
Well,I think waterfall2117 was a homage think for vektroid username (waterfall voyeur),and 2117 is like 100 years of 2017. Dunno

Virtual Cafe Awards

Chiefahleaf

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I was given this as a nickname back in high school from all of my friends. It was so catchy for everyone to call me Chief that it stuck through all 4 years of high school. 4 years of College, and currently now.

Virtual Cafe Awards

laCroix日食

"A world were oceans are made of sparkling water"
Reaction score
Awards
I just like how the name Lacroix sounds and looks. And I like sparkling water.
The Chinese characters translate to "solar eclipse", and their pronunciation resembles how my actual name is pronounced. This is extremely cool because my real name could mean something along the lines of "light" or "sunray", which in turn creates an interesting tension between my real identity and my online persona.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Moonlight

lol
Reaction score
Awards
Moonlight was a nickname given to me when I was dating my ex. He was my sunshine and I was his moonlight, kind of like a yin and yang type thing. At the time I thought it sounded sweet and it grew on me.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Greg_Delta

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Greg Delta is the name I record under. I don't want to use my real name for music because I had near incident with an internet stalker lol

I don't think I've revealed this before, but the Delta came from the old Cold War Era fighter jets, the F-102 Delta Dagger and F-106 Delta Dart.

I'd already had a pseudonym, but wanted a change. I had narrowed down to a few new names. I loved those two airplanes and they really fit the retro vibe of vaporwave, so I was torn between those. And then it hit me. Just use Delta as a last name so I pay homage to both planes, and use my first name.

Incidentally, my last name starts with a D, so the Delta fits that way too

Virtual Cafe Awards

Greg_Delta

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Moonlight said:
Code:
[b]Moonlight[/b]
was a nickname given to me when I was dating my ex. He was my sunshine and I was his moonlight, kind of like a yin and yang type thing. At the time I thought it sounded sweet and it grew on me.

Well that's tragic

Virtual Cafe Awards

LCD Noir

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
My old computer had an issue where it's screen would randomly turn off, gaining the nickname "blackscreen" from my friends.
Later on I used it as my artist name because I didn't really put much thought into it and it kinda stuck.

Screen = LCD
Black = Noir

Black Screen = LCD Noir

Virtual Cafe Awards

Based Frequency

Synthesizer horder
Reaction score
Awards
My name comes from my love and involvement is the based community(lilb aka based god) and its a play on the fact that i really love the sound and feeling of bass so Based Frequency it is!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 795

Actually, that's a bit complicated. The "909" part is the obvious one; back when I started using this name, I still had a Roland TR-909. I got rid of it a few years ago, though...it was locking me into working paradigms that I thought were too restrictive, and given that I could build much of what it could do sonically into Ableton, I let it go. Used that to pay for a number of things...

But the "Lugia" part, that's where things get complicated. Back around the time that Pokemon Red/Blue came out in the USA, I was in a rather nasty compositional slump. But I found that playing the GB game was actually rather meditative and calming, and the TCG really forced me to focus on strategic thought processes. As a result, this pulled me back out of the dry spell over time, and I got to know some rather interesting people back then. One of them was the organist at the San Diego Buddhist Temple, who was also a national-level judge for the TCG at the time, and she and I had some very in-depth conversations online about the cultural aspects in the game.

So, now we fast-forward to 2000. The second movie made a significant impression on me, and I had a definite feeling that the 4Kids translation was botching parts of the underlying message in it. So I managed to track down a literal translation of the Japanese script, and sure enough...yep, they'd "edited" certain things that might torque off conservative American audiences, particularly having to do with some of the significant traces back to Buddhism and Shinto. So, one evening Doreen and I were discussing the edited-out bits, and we got into a lengthy (as in, ultimately lasting several MONTHS) discussion about the nature of Shinto kami and the concept in Buddhism of the "Bodhisattva Path".

Now, at that time, I was still in something of a "spiritually unanchored" state, and had been for about 20+ years. And while I had encountered a few different strains of Buddhism before, nothing had "clicked". But now, something WAS clicking, in particular about the practices in Jodo Shinshu. The concept of "life as practice" wasn't familiar...but it made perfect sense. So, after a VERY intense experience of composition study at the Stockhausen Courses for New Music in 2001, I returned to the USA...and a month later, all hell broke loose on September 11th. The horror of that wasn't comprehensible...it was simply too overloading, and I began to wonder if something in me was lacking. Doreen and I continued our discussions...until one night...

...there was this dream. And in it, that Pokemon appeared, said to me "Sing the song. The song has to be sung." And then it chanted the Heart Sutra, followed by a bright flash of light, at which point I woke up and really wondered "what in the FUCK was THAT?" But whatever it WAS...it led me to head up to Chicago one afternoon in the Summer of 2002, where I had a long chat with Rev. Koshin Ogui at the Midwest Buddhist Temple. And he talked about the notion that, in everyones' lives, there might be a moment where a "teacher" appears in your life...and this could be literally anything. But the key is that that teacher points the way to the Dharma, ergo it actually doesn't matter what FORM it has, as for all intents and purposes, that teacher is always the same teacher in the form of the Non-arising Dharma, despite what it might look like to ones' perceptions.

The drive back to downstate was perhaps one of the most clearheaded moments in my life. A few months later, I took refuge in the Triple Jewel. And that remains.

So the "Lugia" part is an acknowledgement, in gratitude, for having been shown a way to...well...that's not easy to explain. One doesn't exactly "practice" in Jodo Shinshu, but everything BECOMES "practice" in the end. So it's not exactly possible to disentangle the Dharma from the usual eat/sleep/shit/fuck that life consists of. In actuality, one tries to apply the teachings to pretty much anything. This doesn't always work, though...since, like anyone else, I'm NOT the Buddha, but just some slob with a lot of musical experience and not exactly the greatest temper that's gotten a bit more than the avg. clue from the Buddha's teachings. So, no, I don't always do the right sort of things in my existence...but at least I have a few things around that remind me to TRY. And Pokemon #249 is part of those reminders.

Besides, Lugia looks cool...and yes, I DO still play! #nationaldex4life

Deleted member 1066

'Cause it sounds fucking stupid... also I'm just stuck with it now

admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Awards
ScaffoldedBuilding said:
'Cause it sounds fucking stupid... also I'm just stuck with it now
Your username wont be able to change but you can change your display name though

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Chronos the Mad is my Wizard of Wyrd given name. There are three of us traveling the Agora Road currently. We are a group of artists, poets, warriors, coiffures, and writers. Our council was codified in Devil's Kitchen in the heart of Moab in a cave under moonlight. the Wizards of Wyrd are a group that search for meaning in all it's forms. We are living actions of the Nordic concept of Wyrd and have found that we can channel its power.

The name Chronos is taken from the Latin word for time. I have been Known to revel in madness hence the descriptor.

Our members include:

Tyr the Blind
Padriac the Passionate
Grahamdalf the Gay
Otra the Psyched
Dexx the Sacred
Biomechanical Man of Mettle
Castle The Elder
The Liberty Keeper

Attachments

• 454CA3B2-00E2-40DA-A54A-60D715E3EAF0.jpeg
    454CA3B2-00E2-40DA-A54A-60D715E3EAF0.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 83
Virtual Cafe Awards

kliffi

Yung Jinjo
Reaction score
Awards
kliffi is less of a moniker and more of a childhood nickname, but my main outlet FalseGarden螳 is the name of a kind of camouflaging preying mantis. I guess it evokes artificial nature and a vague image of a low-poly flowerbed or something but mostly I just think it sounds cool :p

Virtual Cafe Awards

pixel_star_ghost

friendly ghost lost on the wired
Reaction score
Awards
Well... in my case it is written as "pixel*ghost" and everything has to do with nostalgia xD
the "pixel" part is about nostalgia on videogames, especially 16 bit ones; the star part has to do with one of my favorite games: Kirby (^^)'; and the ghost part is more a kind of spiritual nostalgia, like remembering your closed ones who are not here today, since i consider myself a person who loses a lot of dear people and constantly has being into grief, but videogames has been a way of escapism in that sense so... everything is intertwined.

pixel*ghost means "playing kirby games from the snes, while being a child who had to deal with grief a lot of times"

Virtual Cafe Awards