Why do people say Vaporwave is dead lol

What is "corporate backed bullshit"?
If it comes from a major recording studio, then its corporate backed bullshit. I would say if it comes out of the top ten recording studios then its garbage. These studios are well known for infringing on creative freedom in the name of profits.

Then most of the time the artist doesn't even see much of that profit.

This is why I am glad the normie thinks its dead. It'll help the genre flourish in new ways, but ultimately once it gets popular again it'll become yet another profit category.

Virtual Cafe Awards

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
If it comes from a major recording studio, then its corporate backed bullshit. I would say if it comes out of the top ten recording studios then its garbage. These studios are well known for infringing on creative freedom in the name of profits.

Then most of the time the artist doesn't even see much of that profit.

This is why I am glad the normie thinks its dead. It'll help the genre flourish in new ways, but ultimately once it gets popular again it'll become yet another profit category.
メジャーレーベルから良いヴェイパーウェイヴアルバムを聞いたことがない

Virtual Cafe Awards

kenetic.wav

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I do. Signalwave as a concept really intrigues me and I'm always fascinated by its execution. The only other subgenre I can say does this more for me is Segahaze, but at this point, releases are so incredibly rare that it's hard to enjoy as a whole genre.

Coolio. I've heard of signal wave I need to make some time to dabble into that sub genre.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mauisun_user237

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Vaporwave has always been dead. It may be hard to grasp, but that's the point. What put the nail in the coffin for vaporwave was when it was made partially mainstream by memes. The death of vaporwave keeps it alive.
Exactly, like what's the point of vaporwave being alive when the whole point is it's sort of a reflection on dead media and consumer culture/malls, ouroborous culture etc. It's the headstone or memorial of music and these things. But yeah, aesthetically (and musically a little) it has been embraced by mainstream music artists which seems to wax and wane given that there is seemingly nowhere to go creatively (which I think is temporary). Music has always been an alchemical blend of previous genres/time periods though so vaporwave is maybe just a more defined or apparent version as a result of clearly and generationally defined versions of software. I dunno.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mauisun_user237

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Coolio. I've heard of signal wave I need to make some time to dabble into that sub genre.
I don't know a lot of signalwave but this is one of my favorite things to listen to that happens to be that:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Eel_Face

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Vaporwave has always been dead. It may be hard to grasp, but that's the point. What put the nail in the coffin for vaporwave was when it was made partially mainstream by memes. The death of vaporwave keeps it alive.
I like this a lot.
I agree, VW is meant to be a kind of zombie genre.
Its traditional core technique is taking old outdated things, waring them down more and then giving it new life by releasing it on a digital platform. VW is aesthetically founded on dead music thats been reanimated. Its liminal music, not quite dead or alive, something else

Its exposure to the wider public seemed to kill it/make it dead in an entirely different way than in the way it was previously dead though
Its 'values' (tho obvs people disagree about what these are) became more obscured by the influx of new people and that seemed to hollow the entire project as outsiders were only interested in the surface levels aesthetics

Virtual Cafe Awards