Why do people say Vaporwave is dead lol

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, and I say this as someone who likes the math rock lo-fi mixes ahahaha
Thre is no problem with that some songs are really cool! It's just that the people who said that about vaporwave are usually people who only listen to youtube recomendations lmao.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kenetic.wav

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I think this is a good way to put it. Maybe some memey subgenres are dead, but the ethos and aesthetic as a whole has stood the test of time, and I think it'll continue to do so into the future. It's such a cultural element of the internet at this point.

I definitely like this input

Virtual Cafe Awards
The saying comes from when vaporwave was generally considered a meme even by fans of the genre. as memes do, they die. people thought vaporwave was bound to die or was already dead once the perceived novelty worn off on the people just in it for laughs. Of course, people take this genre seriously and creators put hard work, effort, and passion into their projects, so at most vaporwave may have started as a joke (as we will never really know how serious Vektroid or OPN were about this new genre they were a part of making), but at that point it had really spoken to people. art that speaks to people doesn't die, at least not easily, and even then the idea lives on and other people can still connect with it. with how big of a community we have, vaporwave will never die out. People can think vaporwave is dead all they want, it obviously isn't something worth their time in their minds.

I hope that provided more insight than the usual "Vaporwave has always been dead long live vaporwave hahaha 420" that is often the common reply to this subject any time its brought up.

Virtual Cafe Awards

hyprstorm

devils advocate
Reaction score
Awards
"Vaporwave is dead. Vaporwave remains dead. And we have killed it. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?"

Virtual Cafe Awards

Steingar

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I always understood "Vaporwave is dead" in the sense that Vaporwave is a decentralised, Extremely Online medium with no real corporate gate-keeping background to it, that "dies" the second any of these key tenants are under threat.

If I recall correctly, Vaporwave being dead has quite a bit to do with it being popular or "selling out" by having its aesthetic appropriated by big name artists or for the sake of commercial product, similar to the expression "jumping the shark". Therefore, Vaporwave dying is more like a defence mechanism to keep it out of the clutches of crappy corporate driven music for the masses and in the hands of independent, largely anonymous and "weird" producers through a constant cycle of death and resurrection, Christ like if you will.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kenetic.wav

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
The saying comes from when vaporwave was generally considered a meme even by fans of the genre. as memes do, they die. people thought vaporwave was bound to die or was already dead once the perceived novelty worn off on the people just in it for laughs. Of course, people take this genre seriously and creators put hard work, effort, and passion into their projects, so at most vaporwave may have started as a joke (as we will never really know how serious Vektroid or OPN were about this new genre they were a part of making), but at that point it had really spoken to people. art that speaks to people doesn't die, at least not easily, and even then the idea lives on and other people can still connect with it. with how big of a community we have, vaporwave will never die out. People can think vaporwave is dead all they want, it obviously isn't something worth their time in their minds.

I hope that provided more insight than the usual "Vaporwave has always been dead long live vaporwave hahaha 420" that is often the common reply to this subject any time its brought up.

I wish I could like this post 10000 times. Lol do u have a favorite sub genre by the way ?

Virtual Cafe Awards
I wish I could like this post 10000 times. Lol do u have a favorite sub genre by the way ?
I do. Signalwave as a concept really intrigues me and I'm always fascinated by its execution. The only other subgenre I can say does this more for me is Segahaze, but at this point, releases are so incredibly rare that it's hard to enjoy as a whole genre.

Virtual Cafe Awards

NeoTokyo Tempo

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
If anything Vaporwave is the zeitgeist of underground internet aesthetics. People don't listen as much anymore, but Vaporwave has permeated through vast swaths of the internet. You can go almost anywhere and see the glitched out, retro-future 80s aesthetics that are our bread and butter(If you look hard enough). I've even seen Vaporwave aesthetics on ads on billboards. Think about it this way. The Velvet Underground and Nico only sold about 100,000 copies upon its initial run (less than an average YouTube video), but it's considered one of the most influential albums in the history of rock music. Only a few people need to actually see us in order to take inspiration from us. Therefore, if we can create good and interesting art, the few people that see us will probably steal from us when creating their works. The point of underground art movements is not to be popular, but to be interesting. Keep an eye open, you may see some works inspired by something made by one of us in the future. Vaporwave is still a popular aesthetic and its themes are still very relevant.

Virtual Cafe Awards

kultra

veteran n00b
Reaction score
Awards
U like witch house music ? I think I seen pad chennington talk about it .
I loved it breh. Part of what killed it is people couldn't decide on exactly what it was supposed to be and it got to be considered too much of a meme based on A E S ✝ H E ☨ I C Z, if I had to come up with a reason. b-warez!!
Or seapunk. It's sad to be forgotten. It's the fine line between vaporwave and Hyperpop. It's more spiritual than corporate.
oceangrunge was another good one

Virtual Cafe Awards

kenetic.wav

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
If anything Vaporwave is the zeitgeist of underground internet aesthetics. People don't listen as much anymore, but Vaporwave has permeated through vast swaths of the internet. You can go almost anywhere and see the glitched out, retro-future 80s aesthetics that are our bread and butter(If you look hard enough). I've even seen Vaporwave aesthetics on ads on billboards. Think about it this way. The Velvet Underground and Nico only sold about 100,000 copies upon its initial run (less than an average YouTube video), but it's considered one of the most influential albums in the history of rock music. Only a few people need to actually see us in order to take inspiration from us. Therefore, if we can create good and interesting art, the few people that see us will probably steal from us when creating their works. The point of underground art movements is not to be popular, but to be interesting. Keep an eye open, you may see some works inspired by something made by one of us in the future. Vaporwave is still a popular aesthetic and its themes are still very relevant.

❤️

Virtual Cafe Awards

ETierhuman

MAIN EVENT ETIER IS NOW IN YOUR FORUM!!!!!
Reaction score
Awards
I am glad that those who claim vaporwave is dead are kept out of the genre and are free to listen to their generalized corporate backed bullshit.

Do we really want vaporwave to be "alive" in the middling minds of the normie?
What is "corporate backed bullshit"?

Virtual Cafe Awards