Why the hell are movies so bad?

Ixion_SEROV

Y2K Hype Beast
Reaction score
Awards
Several contributing factors are all coming into play at the exact same time. For starters, Hollywood is in the same position as video games where everything is now being done by focus groups rather than creative vision. You no longer have storytellers trying to create a unique experience meant to excite or entice the viewer, but rather the push for every movie to be a sort of dragnet in order to cater to the most people.

Hollywood has also become more sanitized over the past couple of decades. Go back and watch what passed for schlock about 30 years ago and you'll see a stark contrast in creative vision. Like with anime, movies used to be made under the auspice of them serving a better purpose than whatever it is we're seeing now.

Lastly, I think it has a lot to do with oversaturation. Back in the day, there was a saying; "In the future, there will be millions of channels, but nothing to watch." That prophecy only became half-true. There are still interesting movies out there, but most of it isn't shown to you for lack of advertising or exposure. Most people don't have the capacity or experience to even begin searching for them.

I recommend starting a backlog of sorts. Don't be afraid to start experimenting.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Eternal January
1673150705371.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

xdsoftware

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I can think of maybe 3-5 really good movies that have come out at all recently. Is it people don't care about that art form? I don't think so because certain movies are making millions of dollars. And the only good ones are indie. :angrycat:
Issue for me is complex:

1. They don't appeal to me these days. I'd much rather do self-improvement and uni work than watch a movie (unless it's anime).
2. The digital format is very flawed. I can't wait until 16K comes out in several decades and we have problems with upscaling and quality.
3. No good directors these days.
4. CONSOOM CULTURE (I think Marvel films have really made things worse)

Virtual Cafe Awards