Wildernes/self-sufficent living ?

• Thread starter Aqepow
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 623 times.

Aqepow

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Hi !
Well I saw a post regarding 'your dreamhouse' and I thought of a wooden cabin haha.
And that thought made me to think : what do you consider the most viable and necesarry skills to live 'off the grid' ?
Keep in mind, when I say 'off the grid' I don't necessarily mean an 'illegal lifestyle', but more likely a 'out of society, taxeless etc' way of living. In short, self sufficent.
What would you do if right now you would decide that you want to leave in the mountain side or country side or even in the woods ?
What would be your basic needs ? (except food and water, ofc)
What skills do you consider useful
Do you have any experience with bushcraft and so on ?

Welcome Home Pixel GIF

Attachments

• goats.gif
    goats.gif
    437.1 KB · Views: 98
Virtual Cafe Awards

sicsicksicks

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I would say the best place to start would be learn how to navigate the land without technology or at least not anything that requires a source of power. Practicing this by actually getting into the bush will also double as a way to get comfortable with being there.

Despite having lived near the middle of nowhere most of my life I unfortunately have not tried living fully off the land which I hope to try this summer. I have spent some time travelling what I call "BCs highway of anarchy" a seemingly endless network of very scarcely discussed dirt roads cut by various people over the years into the vast mountainous bush that can take one very far from built up society as well as sneak one around it. I met someone up there who had been living there for several years self sufficiently but not completely isolated. He didnt reveal his setup or even where it was but its indeed possible. He looked pretty legit but found ways to earn enough money to buy some goods from society at large.

One asset I would consider a must know asset whether travelling the bush by foot, by vehicle or living there is a "free" water supply (creek, spring, etc) that is safe to drink. If you locate one keep it's location like a cherished secret.

Virtual Cafe Awards