• Donate and support Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe to keep the forum alive and make any necessary upgrades to have a more pleasant experience! Update: I configured the site with Brave Browser, so you can send tips to the site with BAT.

- Upgrade now for supporter only awards! In Three Tiers

-- Agora Gold

-- Agora Silver

-- Agora Bronze

Upgrades like "moods" username customization, profile customization, custom backgrounds, banners and much more!

It will be under Account Upgrades

Submissions for Tales of Agora Road Issue #4 is OPEN! MAKE AGORA CHAN ART BY CLICKING HERE

World Economic Forum 2023

Walk in the Rain

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Every couple of months or so, I'll get reminded of the Amazon Prime advertisement the HR Lady's face (Timestamp: 2:04) is cropped from; it's always horrifying. Seeing it in this video genuinely gave me whiplash.

View attachment 51424
Cant believe anyone thought this would've been a good idea... Like... Why? Ah yes we gotta get that obese POC dollar. And het face is almost demonic, like the expression of a meth addict finally getting the object of his desire

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Cant believe anyone thought this would've been a good idea... Like... Why?
ESG & DEI, doesn't have to be generally appealing, effective in it's tactics, or even profitable, just has to pay lip service to "the message" in order to stay inline and receive subsidies printed from thin air.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SELCOUTH

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I feel like in our lifetime we will see at least one major corporate assassination. Someone in the elite like Bezos or Bill Gates. I get that surveillance tech is pretty much an all-seeing eye at this point but there has to be some blind spots that can be exploited, or at the very least, some radicalized person that doesn't mind throwing their life away just to take one of them out. I'd like to see what happens if one of them is killed. What sort of dead-man's switches are in play. Who takes over their respective estates etc... How does this affect global superpowers? That sort of thing.

Virtual Cafe Awards
ideas on GlobSec?
heard on radio there will be border controls (duh, like fr? thats agains schengen or so...) as of "minimalzing the accidents" from letting "unwaranted" "criminals" in XD.
idk, but things like that want me to go even more sinister goofier and angry, that as if havent been infoed about it on radio, got it? its.... provocation XD

Virtual Cafe Awards

mt.kailash

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Ironically enough, "Own nothing and be happy" is probably going to be a reality at some point, just not any time soon.
As technology advances, at some point it's going to be much more resource efficient to simulate physical objects in full immersion VR than actually producing them to own, at which point people will probably have access to basically everything online, reducing cost to the point where

a low monthly fee
this part is more of a fantasy than the rest of your post. you automatically assume low monthly fee because...consumer goods were cheaper in the 40 year period following WW2, when America was king, and people in India and China lived on 2 nickels a day? you have to realize that the sun has set on the post-war economy. we are now in the long dark.

Sketch Relics

Quiet Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
this part is more of a fantasy than the rest of your post. you automatically assume low monthly fee because...consumer goods were cheaper in the 40 year period following WW2, when America was king, and people in India and China lived on 2 nickels a day? you have to realize that the sun has set on the post-war economy. we are now in the long dark.

Actually, I predict low monthly fee because it's not only the pay model society seems to be moving toward at the moment, but because it would no longer cost money to produce the physical product, you know cause it's in a virtual space rather than a physical good. as of such, the cost would be decoupled from many of the physical constraints (transport, part scarcity, assembly, ect) that can drive the current cost of goods to increase. In addition the tools we use to create things, both physically and virtually, are becoming stronger. Increasing accessibility to individuals and decreasing cost, something that will likely come into play substantially in the next decade as cheap foreign labor continues to phase itself out due a combination of factors such as international conflicts triggering the realization that the first world needs to produce it's own shit, capitalism slowly turning the third world to 2nd or 1st world (thus no longer rendering it cheap). and an overall decreasing world population because apparently the only people capable of breeding in 1st world conditions are white Christians for some fucking reason.

I mean, if you really want an example of this in action, it cost something from about 5000$ to 15000$ to own a Williams/Baily physical pinball table, but a virtual replica of the same table cost like 2~10$. It would essentially be this, but on a far more massive scale.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mt.kailash

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I have to disagree. The era of cheap is gone. The absolute cost of any good or service is irrelevant, what matters is its cost relative to your disposable income, which will approach zero, as all jobs get automated out of existence, and you and i will be offered free tickets to Futurama style suicide booths.

You are applying reason and logic to an inherently illogical system (capitalism) that seemed to prosper only because it's social and environmental costs were out of sight and mind.

The only rule of capitalism is "number must go up". It doesn't matter what anything costs to produce, all that matters is how much they can take from your pocket. Why shouldn't they gouge you as much as possible? Morality? Ethics? Refer to rule#1 "number must go up". "Oh b..bbut the free market will provide competition". Keep dreaming. The competition will be bought out, or killed off.

People literally paying for dominos on payment plan rn...

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
inherently illogical system (capitalism)
Values/prices can be irrational but how is capitalism illogical? Economists have been studying it for quite some time and its logic has been documented a lot.
Sorry if it's just me arguing semantics but I find its workings to be very logical - just very irrational too at times and that mostly because value is partly subjective. But all the bad (and good) that comes from it is predictable and explainable I think.
Otherwise it would be way harder to have such strong opinions on it I think.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mt.kailash

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Sorry if it's just me arguing semantics but I find its workings to be very logical - just very irrational too at times and that mostly because value is partly subjective.
good point, i concede on the semantics, i was not precise in my choice of words :NekoNatsukiHappy:

capitalism is irrational, and favors the short and immediate over the long term. it is the kind of system that will blow it's own legs off, if it leads to immediate profit. the fact that you are now a paraplegic is not part of the thought process.

irrational or illogical... i think it can be both actually. depends on the scenario and situation.

is it "logical" for a corporation to dump toxic forever chemicals into the local creek, killing all the fish, and rendering the water undrinkable? if it is "logical" then i will reject such logic. i think whether something is logical or not, is a matter of perspective, and level of available information, and intelligence.

it might be "logical" for a herd of deer to multiply endlessly on an island with abundant lichen, grass and mushrooms. but it is illogical if the deer is able to understand that endless growth is unsustainable, and that eventually there will come a point where there are so many deer that they strip the island bare, and the population will drop 96% in 1 generation.

Last edited:
arent they just bunch of dreamers aiming too high?
They kind of are. This is an organization that's been around since the 70s but for some reason it's only in the spotlight now, and it openly stepped into that spotlight voluntarily with that Great Reset crap. It's an open provocation that came at a sensitive time, so you have to wonder why and I don't have a good answer for that. It is causing some of the zanier people to go nuts in predictable ways, maybe as a shitcoat of the whole idea. See also: rightwingers thinking Soros is a secret communist when he was in fact instrumental in the fall of communism (among other things he was on the very first plane into romania after ceaucescu was killed).

Anyway here's some research notes from someone I trust on the matter:

Virtual Cafe Awards

Still a Youth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
They kind of are. This is an organization that's been around since the 70s but for some reason it's only in the spotlight now, and it openly stepped into that spotlight voluntarily with that Great Reset crap. It's an open provocation that came at a sensitive time, so you have to wonder why and I don't have a good answer for that.

Anyway here's some research notes from someone I trust on the matter:
they're esoteric fascists agitating the kaliyuga

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Virtual Cafe Awards
Not sure if WEF goes in this, but desensitation of evil,a moral, kinky, of murders, crimes (in News) - normalisation of it!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Gift of Denial

Mental Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
I read The Great Reset and The Fourth Industrial Revolution: I think that Klaus Schwab is, without the shadow of a doubt, an idiot. In his books he frequently struggles to make any sense of the world at all beyond received wisdom, and his only program is only a vague collection of ideas and intents from which he's unable to develop. He thinks almost exclusively through truisms and "corporate proverbs". A complete human void that, even then, managed to reach a position of power for... I don't know the reason. Who gave power to the WEF, an institution solely created to turn the opinions of nullities like Klaus Schwab into law? It's sickening.

klaus-schwabb_Inarticle.jpg

Fuck you, Klaus.

I read The Great Reset and The Fourth Industrial Revolution: I think that Klaus Schwab is, without the shadow of a doubt, an idiot. In his books he frequently struggles to make any sense of the world at all beyond received wisdom, and his only program is only a vague collection of ideas and intents from which he's unable to develop. He thinks almost exclusively through truisms and "corporate proverbs". A complete human void that, even then, managed to reach a position of power for... I don't know the reason. Who gave power to the WEF, an institution solely created to turn the opinions of nullities like Klaus Schwab into law? It's sickening.

klaus-schwabb_Inarticle.jpg

Fuck you, Klaus.
Club of Rome?
i posted it here before maybe, but again:

The Chaining of Prometheus[1]​

A long time, London-trained asset and close collaborator of Canada's Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau was Maurice Lamontagne, a Club of Rome member and former President of Canada's Privy Council from 1964-65.

Of all of the Club of Rome's members, Lamontagne was the most candid in identifying the Earth's greatest enemy to be human creativity itself. Writing in his Senate Committee Reports of 1968-1972 which reformed science policy funding and planning, Lamontagne wrote:

"Nature imposes definite constraints on technology itself and if man persists in ignoring them the net effect of his action in the long run can be to reduce rather than to increase nature's potential as a provider of resources and habitable space... But then, an obvious question arises: How can we stop man's creativeness?"

Correctly recognizing that the yearning to discover the unknown is built into the human condition, Lamontagne answers his own question, writing:

"How can we proclaim a moratorium on technology? It is impossible to destroy existing knowledge; impossible to paralyze man's inborn desire to learn, to invent and to innovate... In the final analysis we find that technology is merely a tool created by man in pursuit of his infinite aspirations and is not the significant element invading the natural environment. It is material growth itself that is the source of conflict between man and nature."

Thus, creativity and its fruits of technological progress are acceptable only IF they reduce the assumed conflict between man and nature posited by Lamontagne. "Bad" technology in Lamontagne's formulation, has the effect of increasing humanity's material growth (i.e.: powers of productivity). If, on the other hand, we promote technologies of a low energy flux density form, such as windmills, solar panels and biofuels, which reduce the energy available and thus the amount of economic activity in which man can engage, then technology can be defined as a "good" thing" according to this twisted logic.

This concept was echoed by another Club of Rome member and collaborator with Lamontagne on his Senate Report named Omond Solandt. Solandt made his career as the science advisor to Lord Louis Mountbatten (Prince Philip's pedophile mentor) during WWII and headed Canada's Defense Research Board until 1957, where he collaborated on MK Ultra alongside the infamous Ewan Cameron at McGill University. Testifying to the Lamontagne Senate Commission in 1970 Solandt said: "There is no longer any need to advance science. The need is rather to understand, guide and use science effectively for the welfare of mankind."

What defines "the welfare of mankind" in the mind of an MK Ultra proponent should give one chills.

In preparation for the "post-industrial order" that was unleashed with the 1971 floating of the US dollar and the destruction of the Bretton Woods monetary system, Lamontagne prescribed that the "new wisdom" should no longer aim at discoveries in atomic, medical and space sciences, in order to focus on more "practical" engineering endeavors. He also proposed that funding to advanced science be diminished by widening the definition of "science" itself to embrace the humanities, monetary economics and social sciences. Those programs then began absorbing the funding that had formerly been directed to research on pure science. Lamontagne stated this in volume one of his report:

"The new wisdom prescribes that the additional R&D effort be devoted to the life sciences and social sciences rather than the physical sciences... to economic and social objectives rather than curiosity and discovery."

[...]

In the pro-growth cultural dynamic of the 1960s and 1970s, the master key to this new age of abundance was understood to be found in the domain of fusion energy. The processes of fusing atoms like helium and hydrogen isotopes in order to generate vast amounts of energy had been harnessed after WWII, but sadly the application of this technology had only known destructive ends via thermonuclear weapons. However, there was no reason to think that peaceful uses of this immense power could not be made available if moral national policies could encourage it. The heat and energy densities of atomic fusion were incredible with a spoonful of ocean water yielding greater energy availability than thousands of barrels of oil.[2] > [3]

Virtual Cafe Awards

Gift of Denial

Mental Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
Of course, a fair criticism of my post is that Klaus Schwab may keep his intelligence for closed doors, and that his books are a propaganda campaign so losers like myself are kept entertained and blindfolded - but I cannot think of any powerful person in history that used his power in order to pretend to be an idiot so he could pass his secret agenda undisturbed. And the purpose of the WEF is, in great part, to spread propaganda for a great vision of a "managed capitalism" - which requires, I would say, giving the impression of intelligence. I can't imagine going through what "gets said" in Davos and don't getting the impression that the world would be in better hands of high schoolers and people from online forums than in the big tent coalition of world leaders, international bussinessmen and Reality Show Personalities that the WEF proposes.

Gift of Denial

Mental Traveller
Reaction score
Awards
Club of Rome?

My view is that during and after WW2 we had a sort of "world caesarism" in which the world order was reorganized to procure the most stability possible. This was done through a series of institutions coming from very different parts, sometimes overlapping, sometimes wholly independent, sometimes entire parts or individuals in these institutions going completely rogue, but all sharing the same stated goal - which was the stability and "peaceful stagnation" of the world, under the illusion that technology would eventually remove all remaining frictions.

Eventually, however, the own "peaceful stagnation" these institutions would shill for ended up drying them, turning them more and more unable to maintain, or even understand, the world they created. All the people smart enough to be "Machiavellian" are now gone, and what was once a system of implicit knowledge, cold rationalism,... has become blunt and obtrusive, as the institutional bloat continues. There's no big event like WW2 that would allow a new generation to climb the ranks of the world order either, all that remains is nepotism and unobtrussive people being welcomed into it. So for me the whole world is a conspiracy, and this conspiracy has failed.

Eventually, however, the own "peaceful stagnation" these institutions would shill for ended up drying them, turning them more and more unable to maintain, or even understand, the world they created. All the people smart enough to be "Machiavellian" are now gone, and what was once a system of implicit knowledge, cold rationalism,... has become blunt and obtrusive, as the institutional bloat continues. There's no big event like WW2 that would allow a new generation to climb the ranks of the world order either, all that remains is nepotism and unobtrussive people being welcomed into it. So for me the whole world is a conspiracy, and this conspiracy has failed.
not supported by anything, but interesting non the less

History​

Following World War II, returning soldiers used the G.I. Bill to gain a college education and many entered the white collar job market including jobs like doctors, lawyers, government workers and dentists, pushing out the women who had had those jobs during the war.

Many women chose to marry and settle into new roles as mothers and housewives, but the Baby Boom forced the need for affordable housing - and fast. This led to the development of planned suburban neighborhoods like Levittown.

Much of the imagery related to this aesthetic features the nuclear family, a new concept of a couple and their children living independently from their parents, which hadn't been possible in the 1930s and 1940s. The average family at the time consisted of a mother, father, and 2.5 children. (This is a statistical number of course, but the image of the family was generally depicted as having a boy, a girl, and a baby of unspecified gender.)

Popular culture pushed this image as normal, and even patriotic. However, the families most often portrayed in popular culture were white, reflecting only a portion of the American population. It was true that Black families were far less likely to benefit from the G.I. Bill and housing loans which made this lifestyle possible, but it does not mean that successful middle class people of color did not exist at the time.

Sowing the Seeds of Counterculture​

In reality, even white families struggled to obtain and later maintain this image of constant happiness, success, and tidy perfection that was promised to them by advertisers and pushed on them by the government through Social Guidance films. Adults turned to drugs and alcohol to cope, and the backlash against the status quo that was building in their children led to the countercultural movements of the 1960s and 1970s, including but not limited to the feminist movement, the gay rights movement, and the Civil Rights movement. In summary, Western civilization in the 1950s was like a Mentos-filled coke bottle, waiting to pop. Even though families smiled and acted like everything was perfect, underneath the thin layer of prosperity was a cesspool of bigotry, mental health issues, and internalized rage and depression. That's why the 1950s is fascinating for so many people, and the subject of many paranormal or horror films, TV shows, or other works of media-- underneath those smiling faces and happy families were deep wounds that were never healed.
(no sources there)

oh my -
https://gizmodo.com/optimistic-predictions-from-1950-that-warned-of-the-com-1694521285
and!!! https://itp.nyu.edu/adjacent/issue-6/a-technocratic-delusion-is-eating-our-future/
idk idk idk
View: https://archive.org/details/the-dream-of-technocracy-why-big-oil-conquered-the-world
1699979503251.png

tl;dr i think those freaks are autistic (bad type) or just psychopats who want to play with people like some puppets
but (mis-?)saw somewhere that future in the 50s meant that every aspect of life has to be controlled, idk why; back then, people were on some crack
i mean, they feared Russians that comunism would win world - so they try to imitate the tactics under capitalism; or capitalism leads to kind of nazism, whatever the scapegoat/reason for action, is(?)
do not look up Limits of Growth by Club of Rome. dont. it is.... why we are screwed...

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
not supported by anything, but interesting non the less

History​

Following World War II, returning soldiers used the G.I. Bill to gain a college education and many entered the white collar job market including jobs like doctors, lawyers, government workers and dentists, pushing out the women who had had those jobs during the war.

Many women chose to marry and settle into new roles as mothers and housewives, but the Baby Boom forced the need for affordable housing - and fast. This led to the development of planned suburban neighborhoods like Levittown.

Much of the imagery related to this aesthetic features the nuclear family, a new concept of a couple and their children living independently from their parents, which hadn't been possible in the 1930s and 1940s. The average family at the time consisted of a mother, father, and 2.5 children. (This is a statistical number of course, but the image of the family was generally depicted as having a boy, a girl, and a baby of unspecified gender.)

Popular culture pushed this image as normal, and even patriotic. However, the families most often portrayed in popular culture were white, reflecting only a portion of the American population. It was true that Black families were far less likely to benefit from the G.I. Bill and housing loans which made this lifestyle possible, but it does not mean that successful middle class people of color did not exist at the time.

Sowing the Seeds of Counterculture​

In reality, even white families struggled to obtain and later maintain this image of constant happiness, success, and tidy perfection that was promised to them by advertisers and pushed on them by the government through Social Guidance films. Adults turned to drugs and alcohol to cope, and the backlash against the status quo that was building in their children led to the countercultural movements of the 1960s and 1970s, including but not limited to the feminist movement, the gay rights movement, and the Civil Rights movement. In summary, Western civilization in the 1950s was like a Mentos-filled coke bottle, waiting to pop. Even though families smiled and acted like everything was perfect, underneath the thin layer of prosperity was a cesspool of bigotry, mental health issues, and internalized rage and depression. That's why the 1950s is fascinating for so many people, and the subject of many paranormal or horror films, TV shows, or other works of media-- underneath those smiling faces and happy families were deep wounds that were never healed.
(no sources there)

oh my -
https://gizmodo.com/optimistic-predictions-from-1950-that-warned-of-the-com-1694521285
and!!! https://itp.nyu.edu/adjacent/issue-6/a-technocratic-delusion-is-eating-our-future/
idk idk idk
View: https://archive.org/details/the-dream-of-technocracy-why-big-oil-conquered-the-world
View attachment 80576

gotta hate the koch brothers.

Virtual Cafe Awards