X was Y years ago

• Thread starter NSoph
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 3411 times.

Reaction score
Awards
This is pretty much a direct result of aging demographics. The average age of a person living in the western world today is substantially higher than it was 20 years ago or more, because people live longer AND have fewer kids than at any other point in history. This means that society is generally tailored more towards people who are less concerned about what the world will look like 40 years from now, instead caring more about what it'll look like in the next 5 years. The only way for this trend to reverse is for birth rates to rise, and even then it would require that next baby-boom generation to come to maturity before they could enact any sort of forward looking ideology. So basically it either won't happen in our lifetimes, or we'll be so old that it essentially won't matter to us anyways.
IDK those who spearheaded change in post-war Germany were all well into their 50s. Demographics may play a role but I think it goes deeper than that. There has been a bigger vibe shift. Amongst my peers the topic of this thread often shows up, so I guess nostalgia is major part of the Zeitgeist. My younger cousins were even talking about how they played Minecraft X years ago - they aren't even 18! I myself avoid new media like the plague on principle, and prefer to entertain myself by diving into old stuff, in a way only looking back into the past - Wow I sound like on of those guys who comment shit on Queen's most popular songs like "I'm fourteen and I listen to this sort of music, look at how special I am!" (although they also prove my point.) - Because I think everything new is shit I never check it out, and so do others. Then noone ever notices anything good appearing. Also the internet gives everyone access to anything at moment's notice, so if I have the whole of TV history under my fingertips I would much rather choose 80s anime over any marvel schlock.
Mark Fisher probably referenced "hauntology" right? That the spirits of the past haunt us forever, remakes and sequels and remixes, it never dies, it just gets more deformed. Culture is undead. We are in the eternal 2000`s. the decade and century of the silicon valley techbro. T-shirt and jeans are the forever fashion, rap, post-grunge, everything is "indie" but sounds the same, there is no real edge, musicians """shock""" the world with hypersexuality, but not really. I have not heard Shygirl, Coucou Chloe, Zheani, Cobrah etc, all extremely lukewarm.
Yea that is exactly what I mean!

NSoph

The Singularity is Now
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

NSoph

The Singularity is Now
Reaction score
Awards
HoMM 7, the most recent mainline HoMM game, came out September 2015, this was before Trump entered the political scene
The 2016 GOP primaries started 01.02.2016 and ended in June.
The last update was in October 2016

HoMM 5 had its last update in August 2008

HoMM 3's most recent official expansion came out in 2000
I'm tired bros
Homm3boxart.jpg
H5boxshot.jpg
Might_and_Magic_Heroes_VII_cover_art.jpg

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
when you miss 80s: (n/a)
when you miss vaporwave, saint pepsi and macplus420, posted on YT 8 years ago: -pain-

Virtual Cafe Awards
That's a good word for it. Yes, I do often. Usually when I'm listening to music; I've been listening to music that I am nostalgic for more often as an unhealthy coping mechanism as we descend further into Hard Times. There's a coalition of users here who use nostalgia as a coping mechanism.
meanwhile anemoia:

Virtual Cafe Awards
IDK those who spearheaded change in post-war Germany were all well into their 50s. Demographics may play a role but I think it goes deeper than that. There has been a bigger vibe shift. Amongst my peers the topic of this thread often shows up, so I guess nostalgia is major part of the Zeitgeist. My younger cousins were even talking about how they played Minecraft X years ago - they aren't even 18! I myself avoid new media like the plague on principle, and prefer to entertain myself by diving into old stuff, in a way only looking back into the past - Wow I sound like on of those guys who comment shit on Queen's most popular songs like "I'm fourteen and I listen to this sort of music, look at how special I am!" (although they also prove my point.) - Because I think everything new is shit I never check it out, and so do others. Then noone ever notices anything good appearing. Also the internet gives everyone access to anything at moment's notice, so if I have the whole of TV history under my fingertips I would much rather choose 80s anime over any marvel schlock.

Yea that is exactly what I mean!
On aesthetics wiki, this vibe... "Rawring musically", and it is basically 2013-2018s aesthetic, but music playlist is 2000-10s hits, proply copied from Old web.
Also, I don't understand why we need Old web PLUS 2010s internet (aesthetics) - they extremely overlap, if they are not basically the same thing. And this Rawring musically, too.
I am mad when things like that Happen, on aesthetics wiki XD. Like ok I miss 90s/y2k/00-10s too, but there are so many similar aesthetics it makes me angry. Idk, maybe I am angry that others can feel this too (the longing).
Like, these kids are how old, 12-17? It makes me just feel weird, idk.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Maybe I posted this already, but I saw pic, saying

2000s/2001 being 20 years ago is weird, because 1980s were 20 years ago too

Gives me "future cancellation" MF vibes.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
The original Nintendo DS will soon be 20 years old. I never owned it, but this knowledge make me feels like a fossil.

My current computer will soon be a decade old.