Y2K Aesthetics Thread

• Thread starter admin
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 18512 times.

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Selfridges Kids Department (London, UK)

Designed by Future Systems (Aug. 2002)
20210418_132311.jpg
20210418_132310.jpg
20210418_132309.jpg
20210418_132307.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

Retail shops by AZB, a Japanese architecture firm headed by Etto Francisco Ohashi & Takamaro Kouji Ohashi (1999-2000)

Includes images of these works: α-compiler, α-assembler, and azb2000 (Akita & Kanazawa, Japan)
azb 1.jpg

azb 2.jpg

azb 3.jpg

azb 4.jpg

azb 5.jpg

azb 6.jpg

azb 7.jpg

azb 8.jpg

azb 9.jpg

azb detail.jpg

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
アットマークが大流行したときのことを覚えています。誰もがそれについて話していて、それが何であるか疑問に思っていました、それはハッシュタグの前に長い時間でした。ある意味で、ハッシュタグが現在のインターネットのシンボルであるのと同じように、それは古いインターネットのサインでした。

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlJku_CSyNg

Virtual Cafe Awards

naa

アットマークが大流行したときのことを覚えています。誰もがそれについて話していて、それが何であるか疑問に思っていました、それはハッシュタグの前に長い時間でした。ある意味で、ハッシュタグが現在のインターネットのシンボルであるのと同じように、それは古いインターネットのサインでした。

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlJku_CSyNg

It's really interesting to see a video from the 90s of people who weren't very online being confused about the at sign. I see the at sign a lot in 90s/2000s media or magazine scans, on things like buildings, graphics, or clothes, but I didn't contextualize it like this. I never really considered how strange it must've been for people to see a whole new sign that existed only because of the internet. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember how 2 years ago I was talking about Y2k being the future of Vaporwave and that it should be it's own separate sub-genre and everyone in >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk that was part of the convo kept missing the point of it. Sure, there are many artists out there that have sampled music from the 21st century, but I can assure you none of them were about the broken promises and the aesthetic of Y2k.
For me, this was a period of time I was forbidden to enjoy. I was surrounded by 80s media because it was what my mother grew up with, but in the background I was just wishing to be there with everyone enjoying the present. This is why I am extremely sentimental about this specific time period and I will stop at nothing to get others to see how beautiful it was while it lasted.
Anywho, as for the aesthetic I am all over the place with what I like... But my shit is racing and rhythm games so here's a little something.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

IlluminatiPirate

The Dreaded Pirate of Agora Road
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: naa

naa

God I have vivid memories of seeing this so often whenever I was in the Bronx wayyy back when...

View attachment 2745

AND Timbs... Not quite aesthetic, unless you're into that stuff, but hey, to each their own!
I know it started in the 90s but man I feel like this look's never ended, saw it through the 2010s, then it dipped and now I think it's back again. feels kinda like how Tripp pants lasted from the 90s into the 2010s, think those are having another resurgence too.

Last edited by a moderator:

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
God I have vivid memories of seeing this so often whenever I was in the Bronx wayyy back when...

View attachment 2745

AND Timbs... Not quite aesthetic, unless you're into that stuff, but hey, to each their own!
ローハンギングパンツもここ日本では大きなトレンドでした。よく覚えていますが、後から考えると、時代遅れになったときは嬉しかったです

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: naa