Yes or No: Yes or No?

• Total voters

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
well? which is it?

Virtual Cafe Awards
yes no? maybe?!? hehahaeh I don't know man, the shroderingeras box states that the cat might be alive or might dead I udnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Gotta be honest. The Yes/No threads bring almost no thoughtful discussion instead it just generates a spirit of self-righteousness for people who want to 'own' the other side. Is there a Yes/No thread that hasn't devolved into shit-posting? Even though some people want to distance themselves from this, the forum shows its 4chan-esque discussion quality, the main difference is that it isn't just rigthoid infighting but we've also got lefties to be thrown into the mix.

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Quite frankly, I don't think you can maintain strict free speech on a forum and expect intellectual discussion on a public space. I understand it is what it is. I know I'm complaining about the agora community when I should've expected this. Just venting ny frustrations.

Cause idk what can be done. I've been in heavily regulated places and the discourse can be just as awful. I guess this is just human nature to be awful. I feel kinda awful rn

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yabba

Ex Fed
Reaction score
Awards
Gotta be honest. The Yes/No threads bring almost no thoughtful discussion instead it just generates a spirit of self-righteousness for people who want to 'own' the other side. Is there a Yes/No thread that hasn't devolved into shit-posting? Even though some people want to distance themselves from this, the forum shows its 4chan-esque discussion quality, the main difference is that it isn't just rigthoid infighting but we've also got lefties to be thrown into the mix.
Revolution and Christianity didn't devolve. The only ones that did was Feminism (which I did not make), and Transgenderism (Which was more of a containment thread than anything).

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jessica3cho雪血⊜青意

ばかばかしい外人
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
recanimepodcast.com
Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Is there a thread that hasn't devolved into shitposting?
Yeah. I was just reflecting on my frustration that you can't seem to have quality discussions without filtering a lot of people. And I want both things, free speech and good discourse, but Idk how to reconcile those two ideas.

Virtual Cafe Awards

dorgon

Violently Peaceful
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
dorgon.neocities.org
Yeah. I was just reflecting on my frustration that you can't seem to have quality discussions without filtering a lot of people. And I want both things, free speech and good discourse, but Idk how to reconcile those two ideas.
I was reading the "Does Objective Morality Exist?" thread and I think threads like that have the best of both worlds. Civilized discussions with people agreeing or respectfully disagree and listing why they disagree, and there is an exchange of reasonings between two disagree-ers. Personally I'm probably not gonna add to that thread cause I don't really have the brains to go into those discussions and such, but I do like the civility of that thread. But when we look at the "Trans: Yes or No?" thread in contrast, it was already doomed to fail from the start because of how controversial the whole transgender mess is. It is a social topic, and people are very opinionated on social topics. Same with politics.

But, that's the rub, isn't it?

How do we get people to have civilized discussions about social and political topics? Because I've noticed that in the trans thread it actually started out decently civilized, but slowly descended into low effort posts until no chill came in and called everyone who disagreed with him degenerates and people who voted "idk" fencesitters. I guess it really depends on the person himself, doesn't it? I think it's just a problem with political and social topics as a whole: people are so aggravated about it that they can't bear to hear a dissenting opinion, because they're a "degenerate" or a "bigot". This reaches even farther back to respect of someone else, or in this case, the lack thereof, and I think its because these people who are that opinionated, tend to have a super idealistic version of the world that they try to fit in their lens. Anyone who is an exception to their ideal world is an enemy and hostility ensues. How does one love the world while hating the person who thinks differently than him?

Free speech and good discourse, those things do go hand in hand, the problem lies in certain topics where keyboard warriors who can't bear to give someone else an ear come in and completely shit on the thread. I think it's pretty crazy how the "Trans: Yes or No?" thread got more posts in a week or two then all the the other "Yes or No" threads COMBINED. Yet, I am also unsurprised how quickly it got derailed, considering how hot-water tranny talk is in general. But yeah, it's easier to show disrespect behind a screen than in real life.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
In other news, water is wet.
1677825641744.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

CahCaw

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
cahcaw.nl
Yes!

I will never understand people who say no, people who say no are a what's wrong with this country, my dog died because somebody said no, as a veteran i say YES!

Those who dare say no look in the mirror, and do better.
FUCK YOU AND YOUR OPINION.

OF COURSE IT'S NO YOU DUMB-FUCK. YOU'RE PROBABLY FOLLOWING THAT LIBTARDED AGENDA PLANTED BY THE CIA

PSY-OP ALERT PSY-OP ALERT PSY-OP ALERT

LET ME SPELL IT OUT FOR YOU

N - O

I SWEAR IF I HEAR ONE MORE PERSON DISAGREE WITH MY RATIONAL FACTUALLY-BASED BASED OPINION(FACTS) I WILL MURDER THEIR ENTIRE FAMILY INCLUDING THEIR CHRISTMAS TREE

Virtual Cafe Awards