Your favorite late night movies?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2040
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 6999 times.

Deleted member 2040

I have seen Kuroneko, I love it. Such a cool atmosphere. I will check out some of your recommendations though, I have heard of but not seen most of them. And yeah, Dorohedoro really grabbed me, super unique and charming show. I've been thinking of tracking down the manga, I'm not sure I've got it in me to wait for a second season...

Respect for the Mononoke pic as well, love that one too.
Kuroneko has such gorgeous cinematography and a genuinely haunting atmosphere as well. I personally love the atmospheric / psychological horrors of the 60's and 70's, despite most of them not being 'scary' to our standards. Also, I don't know if you've heard of this, but an existential horror film called The Face of Another (1966) (another Japanese masterpiece) is an amazingly rich and profound atmospheric / psychological horror with gorgeous cinematography.

I've never read a single manga, but if I were to Dorohedoro would be my first, then Berserk, but that's another story lol. We can only hope that a 2nd season comes out!

Thank you also for the Mononoke comment! It's such an amazing piece of art and really shows that anime can transcend mere entertainment and can earn its rightful place in the fine art world.

Deleted member 2040

私はいつも羅生門を楽しんでいます。同じ話をさまざまな方法で伝えることができ、関係者ごとに異なる見方をするという考えは非常に魅力的です。
Exactly! Having watched this film for the first time only recently (I've no idea why I haven't seen it earlier!), this is an excellent example of the unreliable narrator put into film, and demostrates how any story can really morph just by changing the point of view.

Deleted member 2040

youtube.com/watch?v=FCGEkhmBEZw Turkish movie which is highly funny and fascinating.
Since you are into Middle Eastern films, have you seen anything by Bahram Bayzai, he's an Iranian mastermind of directing as well as an esteemed poet / playwright. I have a very difficult time finding his films subbed in English, but if you ever encounter his films, they are great.

If you are into more allegorical films, The White Meadows (2009) could be down your road if you're into more introspective and less action packed films.

Deleted member 2006

Since you are into Middle Eastern films, have you seen anything by Bahram Bayzai, he's an Iranian mastermind of directing as well as an esteemed poet / playwright. I have a very difficult time finding his films subbed in English, but if you ever encounter his films, they are great.

If you are into more allegorical films, The White Meadows (2009) could be down your road if you're into more introspective and less action packed films.
Im Half turkish not Half iranian.

Deleted member 2040

Im Half turkish not Half iranian.
That's good. There are great films around the world I think everyone can enjoy, and you might find it worthwhile, as the Iranians have had a very distinct and interesting perspective in the arts, not just now but historically too. Many great poets as you know as well.

I think my favorite show is the Twilight Zone

It's ust so perfect and while it's kind of a punchline or cliche today...it is pretty much a perfect show.

it is a masterclass in short storytelling, which seems to be a lost art, espeically on TV now

don't get me wrong, Breaking Bad and long form shows are great...but there is something special about being able to tell a REALLY REALLY good story (with TWISTS) in 30 minutes. I've seen every episode, some I've seen many many times, I know the twists....I still enjoy them a lot. It is a clihe because it INVENTED (or at least modernized) so many tropes.

there are also a lot of deep philosophical statements in some episodes.

I have to say, a lot of it is rooted in nostalgia too. Back in the day, the used to show 24hr marathons on SciFi channel on national holidays (new years, christmas, memorial day, thanksgiving). me and my dad watched those marathons for years. I bought the complete series on DVD for my dad's birthday a couple years ago and we still carry on the tradition
kind of miss the cable TV era

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

I think my favorite show is the Twilight Zone

It's ust so perfect and while it's kind of a punchline or cliche today...it is pretty much a perfect show.

it is a masterclass in short storytelling, which seems to be a lost art, espeically on TV now

don't get me wrong, Breaking Bad and long form shows are great...but there is something special about being able to tell a REALLY REALLY good story (with TWISTS) in 30 minutes. I've seen every episode, some I've seen many many times, I know the twists....I still enjoy them a lot. It is a clihe because it INVENTED (or at least modernized) so many tropes.

there are also a lot of deep philosophical statements in some episodes.

I have to say, a lot of it is rooted in nostalgia too. Back in the day, the used to show 24hr marathons on SciFi channel on national holidays (new years, christmas, memorial day, thanksgiving). me and my dad watched those marathons for years. I bought the complete series on DVD for my dad's birthday a couple years ago and we still carry on the tradition
I've only seen a few Twilight Zone episodes but I remember each being very well done, but I'll have to check it out for sure! That's so wholesome you are carrying on the tradition!

kliffi

Yung Jinjo
Reaction score
Awards
Very much so! Reminds me a bit of one of my favorite directors, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, director of Uncle Boonme, my favorite film of his.

i LOVE uncle boonmee, the ending is devastating and beautiful

highly recommend Tsai if you haven't seen him; my favorite director by quite a bit

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

i LOVE uncle boonmee, the ending is devastating and beautiful

highly recommend Tsai if you haven't seen him; my favorite director by quite a bit
Such an inredibly peaceful and devotional atmosphere haunts Uncle Boonme. I've seen every one of Joe's films, and most of them are like meditation or spending a quiet sunny day in the jungle to me. I'll definitely check Tsai out; where do you recommend to begin with him? The Hole, and if so what after that?

kliffi

Yung Jinjo
Reaction score
Awards
Such an inredibly peaceful and devotional atmosphere haunts Uncle Boonme. I've seen every one of Joe's films, and most of them are like meditation or spending a quiet sunny day in the jungle to me. I'll definitely check Tsai out; where do you recommend to begin with him? The Hole, and if so what after that?
Yeah, that delicate pace is so enjoyable. Tsai features a lot of that (with rainy Taipei as the scenery every time; gorgeous stuff); I particularly like Rebels of the Neon God, Vive L'amour, Stray Dogs, and of course The Hole, which is about a pandemic/lockdown scenario--very timely watch

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

Yeah, that delicate pace is so enjoyable. Tsai features a lot of that (with rainy Taipei as the scenery every time; gorgeous stuff); I particularly like Rebels of the Neon God, Vive L'amour, Stray Dogs, and of course The Hole, which is about a pandemic/lockdown scenario--very timely watch
I wish I heard about that film earlier! I would've supplemented it to Camus' The Plague and Saramago's Blindness...

Are there any other Eastern art house directors or films you can recommend?

kliffi

Yung Jinjo
Reaction score
Awards
I wish I heard about that film earlier! I would've supplemented it to Camus' The Plague and Saramago's Blindness...

Are there any other Eastern art house directors or films you can recommend?
definitely! Ang Lee's Eat Drink Man Woman is a classic, along with Hou Hsiao-Hsien's City of Sadness, and newer stuff like Monga from Taipei is also super cool. also Jia Zhangke's Xiaowu (The Pickpocket) is one of the coolest films I've seen from mainland China

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 2040

definitely! Ang Lee's Eat Drink Man Woman is a classic, along with Hou Hsiao-Hsien's City of Sadness, and newer stuff like Monga from Taipei is also super cool. also Jia Zhangke's Xiaowu (The Pickpocket) is one of the coolest films I've seen from mainland China
Thank you for the recommendations! I'll be sure to try and see some these upcoming weekends!

Deleted member 2006

I cried my eyes out during this movie youtube.com/watch?v=lXdSaVK-vzs

vaporwavemaster1

Eccojamming Emperor
Reaction score
Awards
中国の映画は過小評価されていますが、それらのいくつかは非常に良いことができます。明らかに、大きな予算とコンピューター画像でアメリカの映画をエミュレートしようとするものではなく、彼らの国の状態を伝えようとする情熱的な監督を持つ小規模なアートハウスのものです。

Virtual Cafe Awards