YouTube deleting accounts older than 2 years.

Deleted member 4436

I was going to write a post about how Youtube has been progressing towards deleting old content for some time now, but I don't think that needs more than a paragraph to be elucidated. What this really serves as is a reminder for me to download all of Cure Dolly's videos because I'm not sure if anyone else has.

Untitled.jpg

She didn't deserve this

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Reminder that vidlii its owned by kuz (yes that kuz).
It's hosted on the Kolyma network but kuz is not the site owner nor involved in the day to day site operations, lolwut is. VidLii was bought out over a year ago from the original founders when it was on the brink of closure.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Pink Fluffy Cat

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
>trusting Google
lol I dislike big tech as much as everyone here does but saying "nooooo they want destroy everything wah wah" is a peak lolcow behavior and whoever does that deserved to be treated as one.

View: https://youtu.be/9-KIpg7ssxQ

>Uploaded 11 years ago
>650 views

This is the kind of cool niche stuff that YouTube is going to eventually bulldoze. Even if they're claiming they won't delete channels that have videos on them, I don't trust that they'll keep the promise for long. Also, @L. Rhodes because I think you'll love this

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Cobalt

Cairnkicker
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Boxerdog

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
It's hosted on the Kolyma network but kuz is not the site owner nor involved in the day to day site operations, lolwut is. VidLii was bought out over a year ago from the original founders when it was on the brink of closure.

Vidlii had a vibrant community with proper vidllers until somebody(?) started spamming it with gore and bad stuff incessantly until it was on its last legs then kuz bought it let people put whatever they want on it, Which it was a lot of "bad stuff" Then sold it when he couldn't control the people.

Same exact thing happened with heyuri when it was on its cf domain and had on of the most authentic communities out there with so much oc, until kuz randommly became a mod after the tomo thread and brought devyach people to it, most people left in between kuz being a anti fun powermod, devyach people spamming "bad stuff", and some weird stuff going on betwin kuz and the main admin which ended up with kuz having full control of it. He sold it once it became shit, Now its literally any other alt chan with an old school filter on it.

Same thing happened with the Vicchan development, spammed with gore and bad stuff, shortly kuz in in control.

Lolwut its closely associated with kolyma and a ghost subzidiary of it.

My point is that there is 0 chance of something that is associated with that stuff to be professionally(and corporately) run the same way late 2000s early 2010s youtube level was.

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Where's Nasim Aghdam when you need her?

VidLii is essentially a passion project by the site's owner, they don't even have ads on the site. But yes having local backups is always recommended.

1661828725524431.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deadchief1175

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Man this sucks, It also sounds like there is a lot of confusion around this whole thing too which is even more infuriating. This affects so much on youtube though. So many of the channels i watch, and even some ideas I have for videos all include: OLD YOUTUBE VIDEOS. Theres no way all of this stuff can be archived and so many things are gonna be lost to the digital ether. I Believe in 2019 or 2020 they had just found Adam Lanza's youtube channel that had been discovered, after it was made public (youtube) deleted his videos but kept the channel. How many more discoveries are going to be lost now because of this? Honestly just devastated. Gonna go through my likes tonight and archive everything I can.

Its so over bros.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Skookumsquitch

...has died; Aug 13 '22–Dec 29 '23
Reaction score
Awards
People will complain hundreds of times about YouTube whilst being kicked in the nads by Google, yet will continue to use the site. As terribly unfortunate as this news is, it will keep happening so long as people use the site and make the platform money. There are half a dozen YouTube alternative sites out there...
youtube GIF

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
People will complain hundreds of times about YouTube whilst being kicked in the nads by Google, yet will continue to use the site. As terribly unfortunate as this news is, it will keep happening so long as people use the site and make the platform money. There are half a dozen YouTube alternative sites out there...
youtube GIF
While this is absolutely true, people like Youtube because that's where the cool stuff is. I know it's a catch-22 type of problem, but there's little worthwhile stuff to watch in places like bitchute and oddysee, and if there's any it's very hard to find. Add to the fact that it's disgustingly expensive to host video and streaming at the quality consumers are used to, and you've got too tiny a userbase to be able to effectively compete. There's a good reason why the services I mentioned are only used by people who drank too much crypto or conspiracy kool-aid, and it's not because the average person likes Youtube's administration. It's because there's no real competition.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
lol I dislike big tech as much as everyone here does but saying "nooooo they want destroy everything wah wah" is a peak lolcow behavior and whoever does that deserved to be treated as one.
Google has such a reputation for killing things there's a website dedicated to it.

The most ridiculous example is last July Google tweeted that they were not killing Stadia. September, they announced shutdown.
They might deny it right now but Google is absolutely coming for old videos.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
They might deny it right now but Google is absolutely coming for old videos.
It's pretty much the same sort of conversations people were having about them eventually removing the dislike button after all the official YouTube videos/Rewind celebrations were lampooned for years. We all know this (deletion of old videos) is coming, will face backlash, and then people move on and keep using the site rather than migrate. I get the impression that the outliers using the site are those seeking out obscure/legacy content, most people are just going to be content with the new stuff their feed pushes.

While this is absolutely true, people like Youtube because that's where the cool stuff is. I know it's a catch-22 type of problem, but there's little worthwhile stuff to watch in places like bitchute and oddysee, and if there's any it's very hard to find. Add to the fact that it's disgustingly expensive to host video and streaming at the quality consumers are used to, and you've got too tiny a userbase to be able to effectively compete. There's a good reason why the services I mentioned are only used by people who drank too much crypto or conspiracy kool-aid, and it's not because the average person likes Youtube's administration. It's because there's no real competition.
Always wondered what it'd take to start bleeding some viewers away from YouTube. I don't see any of the big names everyone knows ever leaving the site, but perhaps if someone with a unique schtick started gaining a following elsewhere for their videos and stuck exclusively to an alt platform it could garner some interest?
TikTok has obviously taken away users but their shortform video gimmick is it's own thing, not the same as proper online videos.

Virtual Cafe Awards

pwod

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I recommend going through all of your subscriptions and unsubscribing from every single channel. Check if the creators have accounts on other platforms and bookmark those. If they don't, bookmark their YT channels.
Review all of your liked videos and unlike every single one to keep track of your progress. Download the videos that are meaningful to you.
You'll be surprised how much filler garbage you've watched, how many channels aren't actually on *your* side, they just cater to *your* kind of audience, spewing less obvious clickbait videos purely for the views.

If you do this, you will cut yourself off from the dopamine drip before youtube does it. You will remove youtube's power to negatively affect you with the wipe. You will also free up time that you grew so used to wasting on YT.

Don't be bitter about the whole ordeal - it's foolish to assume anything will last forever. Remember that nothing lasts, and always stay ahead, kings!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Digital Cheese

Learning German Lets Gooooo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
digitalcheese.xyz
I recommend going through all of your subscriptions and unsubscribing from every single channel. Check if the creators have accounts on other platforms and bookmark those. If they don't, bookmark their YT channels.
At this point, im pretty much only subscribed to dead channels or channels that are owned by friends. I've considered deleting my account after downloading my playlists of good videos and music, otherwise ive essentially broken free XD.

I'll give it maybe a year or two before they start purging YT channels who havent been online at all in 2 years rather than ones with no videos or anything.

Virtual Cafe Awards