VR hellscape

• Thread starter emanon
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 166 times.

emanon

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Bros, are we all doomed? Will Apple, Meta, and others fully convince everyone that we need AR/VR headsets? Will the "real" as we know it cease to exist? I like to think they won't, all my greatest memories are spent with friends at concerts, drinking, chilling etc., time with my family at dinners, trips and the like. I've always enjoyed gaming and have many fun memories through games as well, but the virtual imo can never replace my own memories in physical spaces. Perhaps I'm not being earnest, I've met many people from the internet, including many of my past romantic partners. But these glasses would obviously seek to become a fixed piece of technology on our heads, constantly able to push ever-changing and relevant ads to us. For the loneliest of souls on this Earth it could become an intangible and irrevocable part of their beings like the internet has become for many. Someone give me some reasons to be hopeful.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLMZPlIufA0&t=282s

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
People keep trying (and failing) to make VR headsets serve as a workplace accessory but for the most part they are too bulky or counter intuitive from a usability standpoint. AR is more likely, it'd be the next frontier for corpo advertisers to assault so there's incentive to make it work.
The "meta-verse" we're going to end up with will just be an overlay on top of the real world, where every building and person is a clickable link.

Virtual Cafe Awards

. . . ...

Dārio Valyrio Valyriat
Reaction score
Awards
Bros, are we all doomed? Will Apple, Meta, and others fully convince everyone that we need AR/VR headsets? Will the "real" as we know it cease to exist? I like to think they won't, all my greatest memories are spent with friends at concerts, drinking, chilling etc., time with my family at dinners, trips and the like. I've always enjoyed gaming and have many fun memories through games as well, but the virtual imo can never replace my own memories in physical spaces. Perhaps I'm not being earnest, I've met many people from the internet, including many of my past romantic partners. But these glasses would obviously seek to become a fixed piece of technology on our heads, constantly able to push ever-changing and relevant ads to us. For the loneliest of souls on this Earth it could become an intangible and irrevocable part of their beings like the internet has become for many. Someone give me some reasons to be hopeful.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLMZPlIufA0&t=282s

I think VR is quite cool and interesting. I might get a standalone one (VR for PC too expensive tbh), but I don't think to many people will get into it. VR can be quite expensive. It does have some areas where it can be very useful, but i don't think it can be so useful for every area or life

. . . ...

Dārio Valyrio Valyriat
Reaction score
Awards
People keep trying (and failing) to make VR headsets serve as a workplace accessory but for the most part they are too bulky or counter intuitive from a usability standpoint. AR is more likely, it'd be the next frontier for corpo advertisers to assault so there's incentive to make it work.
The "meta-verse" we're going to end up with will just be an overlay on top of the real world, where every building and person is a clickable link.
I don't really see the benefit of using VR when companies already use stuff like zoom or microsoft teams. I don't think there's any really gain or improvement from using VR. Just use video chat apps available or chat rooms, instead of VR. Also since data is quite profitable, mass adoption of VR headset could provide alot of money maybe that's why there's a push ?

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Also since data is quite profitable, mass adoption of VR headset could provide alot of money maybe that's why there's a push ?
Perhaps a profit in the hardware and the software, assuming they don't sell the headsets at a loss to get mass adoption. Otherwise I'm not sure what sort of data they could monetize that they haven't already been able to gather from cellphones/Alexas/cars

Virtual Cafe Awards

A L I X

Cosmic Girl
Reaction score
Awards
Website
alixx.ichi.city
I tried some Meta VR glasses along with some other people some weeks ago. It's even worse than I thought. The models suck, the UI sucks, your eyes hurt and you don't even have that much options outside of watching Youtube or getting inside below-average applications (without counting work-related apps, of course).

The guy next to me was greatly amazed by it (in a good way). I left that experience hating VR more than ever.

Virtual Cafe Awards

happyhappy

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
VR and AR probably won't become anything until it becomes economically viable for the average consumer. At that point in time the technology should be good enough that it won't be horribly clunky or awful to use like it is now. I could see a use for maybe AR glasses but what work really could you do with a VR headset that wouldn't be easier with a keyboard and mouse? Eventually though, VR and AR will pass out of style when everyone decides to get brain chips or whatever new technology will be present. After that point then you can start to get unskippable ads playing inside your head.

mr.robot

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
I don't think VR will ever become an everyday accessory. Look at smart watches for example, they exist and some people use them but not too popular. AR glasses will definitely be used in specific professions (they already are) but I see VR being more of an extra, when it becomes more advanced and affordable, rather than a must have.
when everyone decides to get brain chips or whatever new technology will be present. After that point then you can start to get unskippable ads playing inside your head.
this on the other hand I find more plausible and spooky

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I doubt VR will ever gain mass a adaption. In the best case scenario it becomes just another "mainline" video game console that people own. No way its going to become as ubiquitous as the smartphone.

This threads reminds me of the metaverse craze. There was people saying "in the future online shipping will be done through VR". As if people would prefer to pull on an expansive VR headset on their head instead of pulling out their phone. The smartphone is way superior for like 90% of the use case.

As someone who only once used VR in their life, I will admit that's it is VERY immersive. If there is any "VR hellscape" in any shape or form, it will probably be an exarceberation of the current loneliness epidemic as people retreat into illusions more. That won't be a problem for a while though. VR headsets are expensive and there is not that many big titles.

I will only start be to be concerned if we reach the Sword Art Online type of VR headsets that can read your thought and basically pull you in a matrix.

pickleman

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I think the handheld touch screen, and the mouse+keyboard has been the most optimal interface man has been able to cyborg with. The coupling with mouse keyboard monitor is pretty good, and the handheld touch screen is slightly worse but with the advantage of being able to take anywhere and use it with minimal frictions. Taking out a phone is automatic. like seriously all this headset does is create virtual monitors and gives you a virtual keyboard... why not use a REAL monitor and a REAL keyboard. wow look at that. This interface fails because its less efficient then mouse+keyboard when it comes to coupling.

I do not see anything surpassing M+K anytime soon, but that will not stop the the Globohomo from forcing you to use shitty interfaces while working. Your idiot boss will spend a shit ton of money on some interface that literally pulls you into the matrix and you will have no choice because you're a slave to the communist state.

Not going to lie, I will definitely be bullying anyone who uses these interfaces. Only a complete dipshit would non-ironically use these devices.