Agora Road Book Club: Infinite Jest Edition.

What's your favorite book cover?

• Total voters

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
The time has come!

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.

A gargantuan, mind-altering comedy about the pursuit of happiness in America. Set in an addicts' halfway house and a tennis academy, and featuring the most endearingly screwed-up family to come along in recent fiction, Infinite Jest explores essential questions about what entertainment is and why it has come to so dominate our lives; about how our desire for entertainment affects our need to connect with other people; and about what the pleasures we choose say about who we are.

About David Foster Wallace. (Taken from Britannica and Every Story is a Love Story)

Wallace was the son of a philosophy professor and an English teacher. In Highschool, he was well liked by his peers and excelled at Tennis. Around this time, he had a traumatic panic attack which led him to think about his endless loops of anxiety, he would spend nights worrying about not appearing worried, which in turn only worried him even more, leading him to act emotionally isolated from his highschool peers. To cover his anxiety, Wallace would walk around school with his tennis racket and a towel, since he suffered from excessive sweating, it gave the illusion he just came from the court. Later in life, he would wear a bandanna on his forehead to control his sweating. During this time of highschool anxiety, Wallace began showing his first symptoms of depression.

During college he studied obsessively but also developed a television addiction, he would have trouble sleeping because he stayed all night watching TV. He also struggled with pot and alcoholism. He received a B.A. from Amherst College in 1985. He was completing a master's degree in creative writing at the University of Arizona when his highly regarded debut novel, The Broom of the System (1987), was published. He later taught creative writing at Illinois State University and at Pomona College.

In his undergraduate class, Wallace was kind to the clueless but cruel to anyone with pretensions. When a student claimed that her sentences were "pretty," he scribbled lines from her manuscript on the blackboard and challenged, "Which of you thinks this is pretty? Is this pretty? And this?" He continued to battle any young man who reminded him of his younger self.

When one student wowed his classmates with a voicy, ironic short story, he took him outside the classroom and told him he had "never witnessed a collective dick-sucking like that before." Wallace promised to prevent the "erection of an ego-machine" and strafed the student with criticism for the rest of the semester.

He received a MacArthur Foundation fellowship grant in 1997.

Despite his early success, Wallace had never had close literary friends; he was too competitive, judgmental, and self-absorbed. Most literary fiction he did not care about, and what few books were worth reading were worth writing, which meant in turn that he wished he'd written them. The no-writer-friends rule was not conscious but grew out of his personality, and like most of Wallace's behavior, had a refractory edge: he also felt guilty that he felt this way, which made him all the more want to avoid the whole issue.

Wallace became best known for his second novel, Infinite Jest (1996), a massive, multilayered novel that he wrote over the course of four years. In it appear a sweeping cast of postmodern characters that range from recovering alcoholics and foreign statesmen to residents of a halfway house and high-school tennis stars. Presenting a futuristic vision of a world in which advertising has become omnipresent and the populace is addicted to consumerism, Infinite Jest takes place during calendar years that have been named by companies that purchased the rights to promote their products. Infinite Jest was notably the first work of Wallace's to feature what was to become his stylistic hallmark: the prominent use of notes (endnotes, in this case), which were Wallace's attempt to reproduce the nonlinearity of human thought on the page. Critics, who found Wallace's self-conscious, meandering writing style variously exhilarating and maddening, compared Infinite Jest to the novels of Thomas Pynchon and Don DeLillo.

Wallace's short stories are collected in Girl with Curious Hair (1989), Brief Interviews with Hideous Men (1999), and Oblivion (2004). He was also an acclaimed nonfiction writer, using his signature digressive, footnote-heavy prose to produce elaborate essays on such seemingly uncomplicated subjects as the Illinois state fair, talk radio, and luxury cruises. His essay collections include A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again (1997) and Consider the Lobster, and Other Essays (2005). Everything and More: A Compact History of Infinity (2003) is a survey of the mathematical concept of infinity. He also wrote, with Mark Costello, Signifying Rappers: Rap and Race in the Urban Present (1990; 2nd ed. 1997).

Wallace had suffered from depression since his early 20s, and, after numerous failed attempts to find an efficacious drug regimen, he took his own life by hanging. Three years after Wallace's death, another novel, The Pale King (2011), which the author had left unfinished, was released. A third collection of his nonfiction writing, Both Flesh and Not (2012), was also published posthumously.

Vote for your favorite book cover! (You can vote up to 3 times!)

Abacus Edition.

Screenshot_2.png

/Lit/ approved edition.

Screenshot_3.png

Original Edition.

og.png

Ñ edition.

Screenshot_4.png

20th Anniversary Edition.
Infinite-Jest-New-Cover-GalleyCat.jpg

Kindle Edition.

aa.png

Italian edition.

Screenshot_5.png

Ñ edition 2.

Screenshot_6.png

Little Brown edition.

Screenshot_7.png

Serbian Edition.

Screenshot_8.png

Enjoy your reading!

Television Media GIF

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Book Club Rules and Schedule.

The only rule is to not discuss anything past the chapters we're on without using the spoiler tag!

For this schedule, I'm taking into account the footnotes. You shouldn't skip them, they are an integral part of the novel!

Week 1. August 21st to 27th. Year of Glad to 3 November Year of Adult Undergarment.

Week 2. August 28th to September 2nd. As of the Year of the depend adult undergarment to Mario Incandenza's first and only even remotely romantic experience, thus far.

Week 3. September 3rd to 10th. 30 April- Year of Adult Undergarment to Late October Year of Adult Undergarment.

Week 4. September 11th to Sunday 17th. 6 November Year of Adult Undergarment to 5 November Year of Adult Undergarment.

Week 5. September 18th to 24th. 6 November Year of Adult Undergarment to 14 November Year of Adult Undergarment.

Week 6. September 25th to 30th. 7 November Year of Adult Undergarment to 8 November Gaudeamus Igitur.

Week 7. October 1st to 8th. 30 April/1 May Year of Adult Undergarment to 30 April/1 May Year of Adult Undergarment (the second one, around page 418)

Week 8. October 9th to 15th. Year of Adult Undergarment (no date) to Vert Late October Y.D.A.U

Week 9. October 16th to 22nd. 9 November Year of Adult Undergarment to Pre-Dawn, 1 May Year of Adult Undergarment (Y.D.A.U) to

Week 10. October 23rd to 29th. Pre-Dawn, 1 May Y.D.A.U Tucson AZ U.S.A, Still to Pre-Dawn, 1 May Y.D.A.U Tucson AZ U.S.A, Still (Around page 528.)

Week 11. October 30th to November 5th. 10 November Year of Adult Undergarment to Selected Snippets from the individual-resident-informal-interface moments of D.W Gately, Live-In Staff, Ennet House Drug and Alcohol Recovery House, Enfield MA, on and off from just after the Brookline Young People's AA MTNG. Up to About 2329H., Wednesday 11 November Y.D.A.U.

Week 12. November 6th to 12th. Year of Adult Undergarment: Interlace Tel Entertainment to 11 November Year of Adult Undergarment.

Week 13. November 13th to 19th. 14 November Year of Adult Undergarment to 14th November Year of Adult Undergarment. (Page 723)

Week 14. November 20th to 26th. 11 November Year of Adult Undergarment to 17 November Year of Adult Undergarment.

Week 15. November 27th to December 3rd. The ceiling was breathing to 19 November Year of Adult Undergarment.

Week 16. December 4th to 10th. Only 20 November Year of Adult Undergarment Gaudemus Igitur (This chapter alone is around 100 pages lol)

Week 17. December 11th to 17th. 20 November Year of Adult Undergarment Immediately pre-fundraiser-exhibition-fete Gaudemus Igitur to Notes and Errata (End of the book)

December 24th. Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Study Guides:

I highly recommend you use one of these, this book can get you lost really fast!

https://www.litcharts.com/lit/infinite-jest/chapter-1 (this is one is probably the best free guide)

https://www.gradesaver.com/infinite-jest

Elegant Complexity: A Study of David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest (Chapter by chapter analysis and explanation, includes a timeline of events which is very useful)

Fan Made annotated companion to Infinite Jest: https://infinitejest.wallacewiki.com/david-foster-wallace/index.php?title=Pages_3-27

Further Reading/Watching:

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again: Essays and Arguments

E Plurius e Unum (Long-ish essay, but it explains a lot of themes in the novel)

Understanding David Foster Wallace (Best book I've found analyzing the life work of the author, includes a chapter on IJ, very useful)

Every Love Story Is a Ghost Story: A Life of David Foster Wallace

Interview with David Foster Wallace about Infinite Jest.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGLzWdT7vGc

Summary and analysis of Infinite Jest.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPgANelYih0

Infinite Jest and Hamlet.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHo5QBCJ2z8

Is DFW Based? (Really good discussion about how Infinite Jest is viewed today and the impact it had)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS_AcCfotqU&t=2679s

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I gotta see peoples review of this, everybody I know that read it has something to say about it.

I hope you guys DON'T know what you're getting yourselves into.
I hope the guys who voted for this know what they're getting into lmao. I've already read IJ once, and looking forward to reading it again... But it is a very long and dense book.

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
this looks like a good edition for me to participate in the book club for the first time

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Is this the kinda book where you absolutely have to have a physical copy? I can go look in the library here but ebook will most likely be my only option.
Not really. I mean, having a physical copy is a different experience because of the whole footnotes quirk, going back and forth between the main text and the footnotes, but an ebook is def more streamlined. I read it on kindle my first time around and I don't think it affected my experience in a negative way lol. It's just cooler to have in physical.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Hell yeah, I'm seriously pumped for this book club. I've read Infinite Jest before but that was like ~7 years ago at this point. I have personally changed a lot in that time, and obviously the world has too, so it'll be interesting to see how I feel about it this time around. David Foster Wallace was truly a national treasure and I genuinely believe American society would be a better place if he had've stuck around and continued his work, but given his views and strong cases for them it's tragically unsurprising that he left us so soon. Don't go down the sewer slides, kids.

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
The first time I read Infinite Jest the first chapter felt kinda mid, which was a bad sign since the first chapters is usually considered to be one of the best things you should write in a novel... However, a re-read adds a lot of depth to it. It's hard to talk about this book without giving spoilers, since a lot of things are context dependent of event revealed on latter chapters, but the first chapters is one of the most crucial in the novel. It does a great job stablishing Hal, his journey and the themes the novel is going to explore.

This time around I'm paying special attention at Hal's interest, his autism, when he tries to be sincere and talk about what he is he can't help but cite his excellence at obscure academic disciplines (Tf is post-fourier cinema) and he just, geez it's like he's trying to be the smartest guy in the room! But perhaps this is how he sees life, this is how DeLint has taught him to play Tennis. "A neutral and affectless silence. The sort of all-defensive game Schtitt used to have me play: the best defense: let everything bounce off you; do nothing. I'd tell you all you want and more, if the sounds I made could be what you hear." Hal has been taught that the way to succeed in life is be cool, deflective, don't take anything seriously because if you do it means it hits you, you can't strike back: Your opponent wins.

Like here,

'But it transcends the mechanics. I'm not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you'd let me, talk and talk. Let's talk about anything. I believe the influence of Kierkegaard on Camus is underestimated. I believe Dennis Gabor may very well have been the Antichrist. I believe Hobbes is just Rousseau in a dark mirror. I believe, with Hegel, that transcendence is absorption.

Yeah that's all cool Hal, but its curious that all the shit he's citing for being a human is not a machine is basically stuff than an AI algorithm could tell you. This-and-that opinions on philosophers. You can get that from academia, let's be real, what sort of human can connect with that? Hal isn't telling us anything about himself other than his intellect, which is very superfluous when it comes to realizing a wholesome self. His more eager to show his complexity than connecting, and because Hal cannot properly communicate, it ends up making him infantile: Like a baby, he cannot communicate.

Why can't Hal be understood? Is it because Hal has finally decided to be himself? To stop pretensions and thus he's speaking a language his instructors can't understand...Or because he has fallen too deep into detachment that there's no longer a self to be understood, his feelings now completely detached from the language he speaks? Might be a combination of two, and whatever the case, I think it's very important that Hal has mastered the dictionary and language theory and he still can't communicate properly lmao.

Also, a note on Kekulean from the Infinite Jest wiki:

"I stare carefully into the Kekuléan knot of the middle Dean's necktie."

Kekuléan" is not a type of knot. To Hal, the knot he is focusing on resembles the self-consuming, annular shape of the snake that inspired August Kekulé's discovery of benzene's molecular structure. August Kekule (1829-1896), a renowned German organic chemist, was the principal founder of the theory of chemical structure. His most famous work, the discovery of benzene molecule's structure, is said to be inspired by a dream. "Kekulé's Dream" was that of a self-devouring snake, the shape of which he used to describe the benzene ring.

Hal's intense focus on this annular, or ring-like, part of the tie is the first reference to annular shapes.

I see this as another sign that Hal is trapped in a cannibalizing cycle of self consciousness.

1692811472031.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Chapter 2 is were I was like 'Ok this is really good'. The way Wallace describes the cycles of the addict is masterful. I've done similar things that the dude has done, how he has these rituals for his addictive consumption, and how it even takes discipline to be that depraved.

As for 1st April, Year of tucked medicated pad... Again, this stablishes a big theme through the novel, the inability to communicate and connect, people wearing mask and then thinking that it will somehow help you get your personality across. Here is a scene of Hal and his father James, his father for whatever reason thinks that wearing a clown mask will make his son like him better? Clowns are often cynical, outside systems of meaning, ironic and funny. Haven't we all tried this to be liked? Especially online lmao, though it gives us a very interesting questions, why are we inclined to do this in the first place? Is it because with masks we feel like we can be our true selves? IJ was written before the internet era, but I can't help making associations between masks and internet personas. Perhaps what Wallace didn't foresee, is that thanks to how internet interactions play out, having a mask and/or anonymity often gives us a feeling of personal liberation: We can be ourselves without fear of personal judgement, after all, they're only judging your internet personality.

Virtual Cafe Awards

h00

message is what matters
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
h00.neocities.org
Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Infinite Jest, week 1

A few things first:
  1. Although I have put serious thought into my writing here, I don't claim to be any good at literary critique or analysis. This is not something I do very often (if ever) and it's been a long time since I dissected a book in a classroom.
  2. Apparently this book is memed on pretty hard? I'm not actually aware of this (I mostly stay away from meme cultures for the sake of my health and sanity) so it's possible that some of you will approach this book club with a background subtext or metatext that I will go without. I do not feel as though I am lacking for this, but you may need to keep this in mind.
  3. For the sake of both spoiler-free writing and webpage visual conciseness I will be making heavy use of the spoiler tags, and will provide the musings I have on my own questions in a followup post below.

Year of Glad
Summary and thoughts:
As far as info dumps go, Hal's introduction via interview/negotiation is a creative way to give plenty of background while continuing to advance the plot. It's plain to gather that he's quite privileged, having attended a tennis-focused boarding school in New England, yet still manages to stand on his own talents instead of relying solely on the societal status of his family and upbringing.

The description and writing style portraying the dean scene was shockingly accurate of the feelings and behavior of people participating in that sort of medium-stakes negotiation, in my estimation as someone who has been a participant in similar rooms several times throughout my adult life. It also set a tone surrounding expectations placed on Hal based on his previously demonstrated skill, and his relationship with the people placing those expectations upon him. Hal is not visibly put off by the the questioning of his background or the expectation that he will be an "asset" to the university tennis team, in fact it's mentioned that he's taken to the coaching given to him of how to handle the situation (even if he does so unsuccessfully). This is sharply contrasted by his uncle, who becomes emotionally riled to the point that he is politely escorted from the room. To me this indicates that Hal recognizes the fact that he is just another self serving cog in a machine made of self serving cogs, all working in tandem to advance their own individual interests; he provides them with his athletic prowess to further their tennis team's reputation, they impart their stamp of approval upon him to increase his future career potential. This insight is remarkably rare for someone of his age and further indicates to me that Hal's ego is, for the most part, held in check by some force or past experience (the mold incident?). This is further hinted at by the line of dialogue: "My transcript for the last year may have been dickied a bit, maybe, but that was to get me over a rough spot."

The movement away from exposition begins with the totally-not-a-seizure. While the appropriate response to the situation is ambiguous (after all we don't know exactly what happened) we can say with certainty that none of the adults reacted intelligently. Pinning someone down mid-seizure is the worst possible response, the Heimlich maneuver puts massive stress on the rib cage and is reserved for people choking on foreign objects, and shlepping him off to the bathroom would be dangerous in the event of a spinal injury. Furthermore, the extreme emotional reactions from the adults (claiming they just saw visions of hell or that it's no problem whatsoever) seem wildly inappropriate responses to what they see as a medical emergency.

Discussion question: The other characters describe Hal as being highly anxious or unwell, yet neither he nor the narrator seem to describe him as such. Hal appears calm and reasonably collected throughout the experience, seemingly unconcerned with the problem at hand and instead thinking about the tile pattern in the bathroom and the unbearable weather of the American southwest. Is it that this experience is so mundane to him that he remains unconcerned? Or is this evidence that Hal is, at some level, detached from reality?

Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment
Summary and thoughts:
This chapter is particularly funny to me, as it's quite relatable. Anyone who occasionally commits to withdrawing from the world for the sake of a well planned binge (of anything) knows that there's an electric sort of anxious excitement in the waiting that is, itself, intoxicating in its own way. The anxiety of planning everything just right, for days or weeks in advance, knowing full well that one small hiccup out of your control can throw the whole thing into a tailspin but also knowing that if you nail it just right you can have several days of uninterrupted debased hedonism; that feeling in and of itself can be quite enjoyable to those who tend towards obsessiveness and isolation. Anticipation is often half the pleasure (at least).

For those who may not know, 200 grams (7.05 Oz) is approximately one fuckton of weed, unfathomable to be consumed over the course of just four days. Even a well seasoned stoner who has built up a considerable tolerance would have to remain seated for such an affair. The narration indicates that the man believes he'll have 120 grams after all the seeds and stems have been removed, which still implies he'll be smoking over an ounce of weed per day! That's quite the bender, especially for someone who is presumed to have virtually no tolerance.

Casualness is described as desirable by the man several times, with his desire to appear casual throughout the transaction being particularly noted. But there are also implicit references to casualness as well. Three such examples involve the set designer woman who is expected to sell: she is very late (casual disregard for time), she has twice had sex with the man despite having a separate romantic partner she lives with (casual sex), and she casual with her money both in regards to fronting the $1,250 and also the fact that she lives in an apartment she couldn't afford without her family's money. Finally, because it cannot be coincidental, it is mentioned more than once that the store the bong came from is "Bogart's." Humphrey Bogart was an early Hollywood star, and while "casual" would not typically be the word used to describe him (they certainly did not speak or dress casually in the 50's) he was an early "king of cool" type celebrity who portrayed characters on the big screen with a certain unbothered energy, never uptight, always in control of himself, and able to maintain a level head regardless of the situation. In that regard, the man in the chapter would clearly revere Bogart as a class act in the casualness he strives for.

Discussion questions:
What is the significance of the insect?

Casualness is referenced many times throughout the chapter, both implicitly and explicitly. Are any of the idealized versions of this casual nature desirable or even feasible as lifestyles?

1 April - Year of the Tucks Medicated Pad
Summary and thoughts:
The first truly bizarre chapter. Father, Himself, is revealed to be an alcoholic with a removed prostate, pancreas, and penis. Clearly, Hal has a complicated relationship with his father at best, speaking to him to such a small degree that his father believes he may be mute. Given this happened so far in the past, I interpret this to mean that Hal has revisited this memory many times in an attempt to interpret what it means for his life and, in doing so, has warped the memory in his own mind as to be unsure of the details. This is evidenced by the fact that Hal's own age is represented as three different values (14, then 11, then 10) and that he cannot say with certainty whether the conversationalist is actually his father or someone hired by his father, a real occupation or an elaborate practical joke.

9 May - Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment
Summary and thoughts:
"Another way fathers impact sons is that sons, once their voices have changed in puberty, invariably answer the telephone with the same locutions and intonations as their fathers. This holds true regardless of whether the fathers are still alive." This line hit home for me. I have a very strong, distinct, regional accent as does the rest of my family and have been mistaken for my dad many times. Or people will hear my voice somewhere in public and think they're hearing my dad, only to approach me with even greater surprise and say "Oh! You look just like [OrlandoSmooth's dad]!"

Anyways, another short and peculiar chapter. So short that it almost begs the question of why it exists at all. This is the first introduction to Mario, Hal's deformed brother. What did Orin want to say? What did Hal mean when he said he could wait forever? Why did he lie to Mario about who was on the phone? Did Orin think he was talking to his own father? A lot is left unanswered.

Year of the Depend Adult Undergarment
Summary and thoughts:
Things now get sufficiently non-linear that it becomes difficult or useless to summarize events. Several new characters are introduced, with insight into their thought processes being similarly detailed. It is at this point that the unbelievably long run on sentences really start to shine. The way David Foster Wallace utilizes these run ons to describe the thoughts and mental state of characters is truly flawless. Thoughts, the internal monologue and state of being, do not abide by the rules of typical grammar in the real world. Meaning a character's mental state is never truly captured in natural essence by conventional literary norms. As we gather pieces of information about these new characters it is becoming clearer that they are share the characteristic of being entertainment obsessed, whether that comes in the form of food, drugs, or media consumption (or some combination). In fact the only characters shown so far to not have such an obsession are Mario and the characters in the domestic abuse interlude, whom all are abnormal in some other way as well (be it physical or mental). It's clear that more will be revealed about in the ensuing thousand-plus pages, so I'm going to hold off on speculating too much for the time being.

Discussion questions:
Should we be able to take anything away from the medical attaché's mysterious "happy anniversary" cartridge at this point?

What is the significance of the nightmare at the end of the chapter?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
A Followup, My Own Answers to the Discussion Questions

The other characters describe Hal as being highly anxious or unwell, yet neither he nor the narrator seem to describe him as such. Hal appears calm and reasonably collected throughout the experience, seemingly unconcerned with the problem at hand and instead thinking about the tile pattern in the bathroom and the unbearable weather of the American southwest. Is it that this experience is so mundane to him that he remains unconcerned? Or is this evidence that Hal is, at some level, detached from reality?
I am not entirely convinced that Hal is unwell, rather that Hal is normal (albeit peculiar) and existing in an unwell world. With that said, his non-reaction to the medical (?) episode with the deans is concerning. Even if this were in some sense mundane to Hal, having gone through similar episodes before, we'd expect him to at least be annoyed at being cart off against his will or angry at the way the deans treated him. The fact that he doesn't speak up in any capacity seems of great concern, possibly greater than that of the non-seizure.

What is the significance of the insect?
In classical art, insects (particularly flies and ants) were often used as a memento mori, a reminder of death. Yet the man seems to be in no real danger whatsoever, and there's certainly no other indication of his impending death. The man has constructed a highly detailed plan for himself to go on a marijuana binge for four days, including making all the necessary purchases in advance and withdrawing himself from work for that duration. In the contemporary world, people's primary connection with the society they inhabit is through their ability to produce and consume as market participants (this is true in any secular society, regardless of the economic system employed) meaning that in the depths of his binge the man will be "dead," or at least un-living, due to the fact that he will be neither going to work (producing) or buying food, entertainment, weed, or anything else (consuming), owing to his major preparations. Just as the insect only occasionally comes out of its small hole, the man intends to only occasionally come out of his bedroom for short durations to take care of the most basal needs.

The world of Infinite Jest is a cold one but with soft fuzzy pleasures to distract you from that fact, much like our own. Society looks down upon those who would spend significant free time in pursuit of sensorial pleasures as being slackers or "dead," yet it simultaneously caters to their whims with products for sale to satisfy any desired stimulation.

Casualness is referenced many times throughout the chapter, both implicitly and explicitly. Are any of the idealized versions of this casual nature desirable or even feasible as lifestyles?
It is not possible to reach this state of casualness without having first broken out of the system in some fashion, implying of course that you were in fact a part of the system in some capacity. In the case of the man, it's obvious that his "breaking away" involves retreating to a state of intoxicated hermitage and indulging in nothing but basal human pleasures for days, interrupted only by self imposed inconveniences such as the rough plastic bit on the thumbhole of the bong or the artificial social tension with the seller. The man clearly has some sort of complex that prevents him from enjoying the experience guilt-free, though whether this complex is internal, environmental, or some combination of the two is hard to ascertain. This debauchery-laden retreat, or some similar version of it with slightly different indulgences, should be nothing but pleasure and would be the dream staycation for many - it sounds like heaven on earth to me personally, though I'd go without all the sweets. A non-trivial part of what makes the retreat desirable though is that it is temporary, lasting only four days, meaning it has a beginning and an endpoint. This is juxtaposed by the woman who, having a non-serious job and living a life of luxury that she herself is not supporting, lives in a state of near-permanent casualness. She "broke away" by choosing to cash in on her family's money and live a life of leisure, rather than pursue a "prestigious" career that her wealthy family certainly could have afforded her. For all the freedom and flexibility she has though, she is not characterized as an interesting person at all, instead only being desirable for her ability to secure bodily pleasures (good weed, casual sex twice over). She is herself juxtaposed against the former seller, the radical feminist artist. While we get even less information about that woman, we know that her art was good (or at least interesting) and she had sex in such a way that it was memorable (albeit, requiring a double laundering of the linens). Compared to the current seller whose set designs (the only art of hers that's mentioned) are "dark, smeary" and whose sex with the man was nondescript outside of the fact that it occurred twice. The man derives his pleasure from temporarily escaping the material grind, an escape that the woman is incapable of making as it implies that you are a part of the material grind in the first place.

Should we take anything away from the medical attaché's mysterious "happy anniversary" cartridge at this point?
It's hard to say. Clearly it's relevant, as it was mentioned at various points, many pages apart, and clearly the man has been completely enraptured by it as evidenced by his playing it on loop and soiling himself. More than anything, at this point I'm intrigued as to what's on the cartridge that could be so entertaining to a man who embodies "pure thoughts" and whose primary source of entertainment involves being served extremely hot food by a strictly obedient wife. Is it possible that this exists solely as our introduction to fatal entertainment? Or is there some other purpose hidden here?

What is the significance of the nightmare at the end of the chapter?
What stood out to me was that the floor itself is evil in the mind of the dreamer, as described by the narrator. The floor, the foundation upon which the dreamer's world is built upon, is evil. We've already seen many ways now in which the world is not okay, and as time goes on I'm increasingly believing that Hal is supposed to represent someone who has not been taken up in by the pernicious self-interests that define this world. As such, the floor itself being evil is a good metaphor for the fact that the entire world is built upon self-serving desires that occasionally intersect for mutual benefit, but are first and foremost the actions of people who are looking out exclusively for themselves. With the exception of Hal, we have yet to see anyone, anywhere, who acts in anything other than blatant self interest. Even then, Hal has his own agenda (portrayed so far primarily through getting high in extreme secrecy) that he pursues when possible, the difference is that it comes at no cost to anyone else. Individualism is a defining characteristic of the American experience, which is one of the many things this book (and much of David Foster Wallace's other work) seeks to analyze and critique. As an American, I feel confident in saying that the rest of the world cannot truly understand the degree to which Americans of all types and background embrace and love their individuality (albeit through extraordinarily different means and to different ends). I am very intrigued to see how this concept continues to evolve throughout the novel.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah that's all cool Hal, but its curious that all the shit he's citing for being a human is not a machine is basically stuff than an AI algorithm could tell you. This-and-that opinions on philosophers. You can get that from academia, let's be real, what sort of human can connect with that? Hal isn't telling us anything about himself other than his intellect, which is very superfluous when it comes to realizing a wholesome self. His more eager to show his complexity than connecting, and because Hal cannot properly communicate, it ends up making him infantile: Like a baby, he cannot communicate.
While I agree that Hal cannot communicate well, I find myself respectfully disagreeing with the rest of this analysis. Hal's takes on the philosophers is beyond surface level "intro to philosophy" type conversations, and therefore represent his views and values as an individual. It's possible that these are views that could potentially be discussed in higher level classes of a philosophy curriculum, but Hal is 17 and has not yet attended college or any of those higher level classes. He said what he did (or attempted to, anyways) in response to being asked to essentially prove that he's smart, not because he felt the need to show his complexity for egotistical reasons. Peeling back another layer, the reason that he's asked to prove his intelligence in the first place is that he's done extremely well on everything except standardized tests - the natural enemy of a freethinker. The type of response he gave would tank your score on a standardized test, because it is not the standard answer when discussing the works of those philosophers. You point out that such a response could be generated by an AI; I'll grant you that as true, but I don't think that's something that could have been foreseen in 1996 (LLMs were not what they anticipated AI would be like) nor do I believe it was on David's mind at that time.

I think it's important to keep in mind that at the time, critiques of academia were not of the "morality indoctrination" variety (as they are today). Instead, critiques were that lesser-performing academics were overly reliant on rote memorization and standardized grading methodologies that had massive blind spots when it came to grading creative thinking or breakthrough potential. Conversely, high-performing academics (ivy league, other prestigious schools) were criticized for navel gazing research pursuits that were of no value to anyone else in their own field, let alone the real world. The deans here are stand-ins for the former (given away by the fact that ASU is not particularly prestigious, academically), as their biggest concern is that Hal's standardized test scores are not up to their standards, and they react violently to the vocalized product of his free thought.

To reiterate, overall I agree that Hal cannot communicate effectively but I disagree on the reason. He struggles to communicate because everyone else around him has constructed a facade of appearing intelligent in order to pursue their own goals instead of actually being intelligent (see my analyses for more on this). Therefore, they have no idea how to deal with someone (Hal) who is genuine in his interpretations of the philosopher's work as opposed to saying "the right" thing, which is necessary to perpetuate the facade.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I am not a literary expert, but I do have a very impressive track record of utterly missing the point, especially in mystery novels. So here goes.

The first chapter was hilarious. The uncle attempting so hard to BS everything - the whole scene was the essence of college application nonsense.

After that, the story started jumping around a lot. It's hard for me to tell just yet how many different narratives we're dealing with here. Could the dope addict be Orin later on? Or his supposedly dead father? Hell of a talent this Dallas Fort Worth guy has for getting inside the heads of neurotics.

The prose is slow to read but not as difficult as I feared. A long time ago I tried reading Ulysses, made it 150 pages in, and totally missed even a detail of what was going on. This book is a lot of fun actually. Looking forward to next week.