• long time not seen! how life goes?
    andreixyz
    andreixyz
    Life's good, thanks for the question. I've been pretty busy AFK, hence my reduced activity. I still lurk every now and then, but I don't have the time to properly run sustained conversations, and I consider it rude to leave mid-argument.

Hope everything is well with you, too!
    Some_porcupine
    Some_porcupine
    it is ok, thanks!
    Hey Andrei! I checked out your Website, well made dear brother! You've got yourself a new RSS sub! As a fellow Vita enjoyer I checked out your post on the Vita. You missed 2 of the reasons why the Vita is such an awesome device: PSP and PS1 emulation at near-native performance with Adrenaline. There's also a slight inaccuracy on it stalling.
    The platform stalled in 2017 upon the release of the Nintendo Switch
    It stalled on release. There's a specific hardware issue and a specific problem it was attempting to tackle responsible for this. The memory card was proprietary, exorbitantly expensive, and flaky as all hell. What it was designed to tackle, was rampant piracy that happened on the PSP, and as anyone who's used the Vita knows about pkgj... that was an epic fail on their part. It also competed with 3DS which is a debate for another day.

Anyway, keep up the great work, I look forward to reading more of your stuff!
    RisingThumb
    RisingThumb
    P.S. As your website isn't a "normal" as in classical layout of site(it wasn't difficult to browse, just not something I often see), I'm curious, how'd you set it up? My own is a werc setup which is obscure Plan9/Unix stuff
    andreixyz
    andreixyz
    Hello, fellow traveler!

First of all, thank you for the kind words! I have to recognize that the PS Vita articla was a bit half baked. It's a lovely device, and I should (and will) spend more time with it. I have been using it mostly to play some LittleBigPlanet and some checks to see how strong the browser still holds in 2021 (when I got it). I plan to give it more time, as I want to experiment with modding it and see what can it do. Out of all the mobile consoles, I love Vita's form factor and it's my favourite from this point of view. I think it's only beaten by the SteamDeck due to its immensely different approach in performance and capabilities.

If by "proprietary memory card" you refer to the game card, then yes, games were pretty expensive. If you were talking about the MemoryStick Something®™ it was using, it was pretty much a known issue with Sony, as they used their proprietary memory cards on all products. At least they were compatible with other devices (cameras, etc).
    andreixyz
    andreixyz
    ---continued---

Regarding the design of the site, it's a weird mix, as I didn't want the "classic blog" layout because my posts are sometimes lengthier and contain more info (check my Fotodisc or Laserdisc posts and you'll understand) and I didn't want to mix them with simple rapid-fire "quickies" i post more often, records from my library, or movies i'm crappily reviewing. The layout is not very special, but having more and more distinct categories added to the website created a need to switch from a normal 5-6 items horizontal navigation to something else, and as I don't like the "hamburger menu" unless on mobile, I decided a side navigation was best. In terms of technology, it's using hugo (i think version 0.117 or something a bit older and more stable), under a theme that evolved over a couple of years from Even.

Thank you once again for the kind words!
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…