What are your objections to Christianity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Go outside and look around. Every chapel and church you see used to be a celtic or roman site. Around them often hundreds of skeletons can be found burried alongside. With them burried the unique and virile european spirit and soul.

I'm not mean, I'm Just.
What do you think of the Romans destroying entire civilizations and attempting to erase their history? What do you think about the Romans brutally ransacking Jerusalem in 70 AD?

I mean--

Virtual Cafe Awards

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
First time i agree with you, Agora is infested with this, back in my day only religious zealots did this kind of stuff, and usually we mocked them for taking religion way too serious (to the point of ironically becoming a sin)

Now it seems every week i see an autistic person with a religion hyperfixation writting shit and is just, boring at this point, you can even predict what is gonna be. Sometimes i wish there was a forum in which people just had fun posting about random stuff like the good old days, hell if it is only one person talking about how was their day that would be a gold mine, it makes me miss the tea posting oasis used to do. :tou3:
I'm glad we can find some common ground. Let's unite and drive them away lol

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
You are arguing with their egos, not their self.
You keep accusing people of being tied to their egos yet, just in this thread, you have called people to "You should be thankful that guys like me are still around." and "I am more worthy than you are."

ffs man

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
This thread turned into emotional/political rants against Christianity. Fair enough, Christians, especially American Christians, are a horrible witness of Christ. There are some interesting historical objections, but this doesn't seem to me like a defeater of Christianity, even if they are true.

Maybe I missed something, but there doesn't seem to be any logical arguments that have been brought up. No problem of evil, no Divine Hiddenness, no objections to the historical reliability of the resurrection accounts.

I discussed this in the other Christianity threads I've made, but this difference comes from a different way we see religions. I get the impression that there's a personal and sociological orientation to the objections being raised here. Objections against the historical and present character of Christians. But ngl, I will always remain more interested in the philosophical coherence and evidence for the system than the fruits of the believers.

The amount of anger is also quite surprising, I didn't know so many users here were that aggrieved about Christianity, users with whom I've had good discussions on the topic before are instead vent posting. Which is fair and everyone does that from time to time, but I'm still surprised about the vitriol.

PS. Someone said this in the thread already, but it's crazy to see so many of the guys here bemoan colonization. Who knew Agora was so progressive! (I think you guys are just mad at Christian colonization rather than colonization)

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
This thread turned into emotional/political rants against Christianity. Fair enough, Christians, especially American Christians, are a horrible witness of Christ. There are some interesting historical objections, but this doesn't seem to me like a defeater of Christianity, even if they are true.

Maybe I missed something, but there doesn't seem to be any logical arguments that have been brought up. No problem of evil, no Divine Hiddenness, no objections to the historical reliability of the resurrection accounts.

I discussed this in the other Christianity threads I've made, but this difference comes from a different way we see religions. I get the impression that there's a personal and sociological orientation to the objections being raised here. Objections against the historical and present character of Christians. But ngl, I will always remain more interested in the philosophical coherence and evidence for the system than the fruits of the believers.

The amount of anger is also quite surprising, I didn't so many users here were that aggrieved about Christianity, users with whom I've had good discussions on the topic before are instead vent posting. Which is fair and everyone does that from time to time, but I'm still surprised about the vitriol.

PS. Someone said this in the thread already, but it's crazy to see so many of the guys here bemoan colonization. Who knew Agora was so progressive! (I think you guys are just mad at Christian colonization rather than colonization)
I'm personally just sick of reading arrogant virtue signaling Christian post on the Vaporwave/ nostalgia forum. Back in the day it was cool having conversations in single threads. No problems with what anyone believes. We seem to have attracted a bunch of people in need of meaning and wanting to find themselves.

This place changes demographics quite often so before long we'll be a site about Russian nesting dolls and flat moon conspiracy. I look forward to that transition.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Virago

광명천지
Reaction score
Awards

The amount of anger is also quite surprising, I didn't so many users here were that aggrieved about Christianity, users with whom I've had good discussions on the topic before are instead vent posting. Which is fair and everyone does that from time to time, but I'm still surprised about the vitriol.

It's hard to find anger all that surprising, in my opinion, in a thread that is actively seeking out objections, something which carries an inherently negative connotation as it requires opposition. We are on an English speaking forum, most members will be native speakers, most from the Anglosphere, which is Christian dominated. To have objections to Christianity, a religion that relies on and actively promotes strict adherance and blind faith, in a Christian dominated culture means you are likely a former Christian. To be a former Christian of the sort who responds to calls to share counter-arguments means you likely harbor some resentment towards your previous state when you were not a former Christian. Even if you arrived at your new state through rational examination of what your faith was previously placed in and are otherwise capable of logical, reasonable discussion, vitriol of some level is to be expected, especially towards the likely personal and sociological causes of said examination.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Virago

광명천지
Reaction score
Awards
I'm personally just sick of reading arrogant virtue signaling Christian post on the Vaporwave/ nostalgia forum. Back in the day it was cool having conversations in single threads. No problems with what anyone believes. We seem to have attracted a bunch of people in need of meaning and wanting to find themselves.

This place changes demographics quite often so before long we'll be a site about Russian nesting dolls and flat moon conspiracy. I look forward to that transition.
Do we not discuss the flat moon anymore? I've been gone too long

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
To be a former Christian of the sort who responds to calls to share counter-arguments means you likely harbor some resentment towards your previous state when you were not a former Christian.
I guess I just live in my youtube/philosophy bubble of Christian vs atheistic apologetics, where there is a (at least in some parts) and effort to remain as emotionless as possible and take the arguments as the idea on their own merits. But you're right, it's easy to imagine why most English speakers who are not Christians would be agitated by the religion, after all, they belong to a culture whose Christian values (or pretensions) alienate them.

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I'm personally just sick of reading arrogant virtue signaling Christian post on the Vaporwave/ nostalgia forum.
TBF, it's been a while since we've been a vaporwave forum, and I don't think we ever were a strictly vaporwave forum. But yeah, Agora's demographics change, we've had anti-natalists, transgender, nazis...

Virtual Cafe Awards

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
Do we not discuss the flat moon anymore? I've been gone too long
Nah the latest trend is the Jupiter psyop for control of Antarctica because Pluto is really a spaceship from China in the future.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Virago

광명천지
Reaction score
Awards
TBF, it's been a while since we've been a vaporwave forum, and I don't think we ever were a strictly vaporwave forum. But yeah, Agora's demographics change, we've had anti-natalists, transgender, nazis...
I think Captain is referring to the actual Vaporwave and Nostalgia forums within Agora, not Agora as a whole

Virtual Cafe Awards

Captain

CEO of America Online
Reaction score
Awards
I think Captain is referring to the actual Vaporwave and Nostalgia forums within Agora, not Agora as a whole
No I was generalizing (knowing it's not the only theme around here). At least the discussions are in the correct sub forum.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz

The amount of anger is also quite surprising, I didn't know so many users here were that aggrieved about Christianity, users with whom I've had good discussions on the topic before are instead vent posting. Which is fair and everyone does that from time to time, but I'm still surprised about the vitriol.

yeah sorry, I guess some of that is my fault. I didn't intend to come off so vitriolic (although I have written some vitriolic posts in the past on Agora on similar topics) but as @Virago said the nature of the OP was to seek out objections which kind of encouraged that mentality. I think part of it is that on some level the OP had a really condescending tone to it, like 'I want to hear other people's opinions, not because I'm interested in them, but so that I can better understand how to help 'guide' people to my 100% correct form of thinking', and I picked up on or at least interpreted it that way.

I much prefer a scholarly and rational tone about these sorts of discussions and I'm always willing to hear and listen to the other side as long as they're willing to hear mine. I definitely don't agree with @no_chill that adherents to philosophies I personally don't agree with and don't like should be verbally attacked. The internet is different than real life, and the stakes are low here. There's no reason to get angry and upset over a simple discussion.

Virtual Cafe Awards

hyprstorm

devils advocate
Reaction score
Awards
You must either be a cuckold or have a slave mentality if you have the need for an all powerful skydaddy in order to have morals or a path in life
agora road has been infiltrated by a r3dditor... code red! code red!

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
If you ask me really, it's generally due to less interest overtime (maybe due to work getting in the way and all that) and maybe due to some, not all, associating the religion with bad memories or with people who have harmed them and happened to be part of the religion. Most extreme cases are people going after Christians for their beliefs alone all because they're just sad cases of victims who need a healthier means of coping other than making everyone else miserable because of themselves being miserable and learning to look pass the people who hurt them when discussing on such matters.
While it does make sense and aligns with what people say, it's not a satisfying answer. For instance, how does work get in the way when we work far less than our ancestors did? Why are people affected by bad memories related to faith now than they used to be?
I am sure the World Wars had to do with the latter, but anything further or more detailed would be my wild speculation.
They live in their own world, own bubble. Where their ego is supreme, always right, always existing. They know nothing but have an opinion on everything, believing that they know and obviously know better than you.
Literally you.

Virtual Cafe Awards

no_chill

Philosopher King
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
While it does make sense and aligns with what people say, it's not a satisfying answer. For instance, how does work get in the way when we work far less than our ancestors did? Why are people affected by bad memories related to faith now than they used to be?
I am sure the World Wars had to do with the latter, but anything further or more detailed would be my wild speculation.

Literally you.

Unfortunate that you are willing to denounce me because of the jewish desert religion. Maybe you will come to see it.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Status
Not open for further replies.