Against homo gnostic nonsense 1# Genesis and the Knowledge of Good and Evil

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Started writing a response to this thread by @Panasonicdx, and when I was more than half way through I figured out any gnostic in the 21st century is probably a larper at worst and at best just some cool way to score rhetorical points against Christianity. I highly doubt anyone here seriously believes in the Pneuma, Sophia, or the aeons. But hey, saying Yahweh is THE DEMIURGE sounds really cool--- Anyways. I was like 80% done with this post so figured I might as well finish it.

Note: Barring the anachronism of using gnosticism to describe early heretical sects, I'm using the term gnostic to refer to the idea that: the religious ideas and systems that coalesced in the late 1st century AD among Jewish and early Christian sects. These various groups emphasized personal spiritual knowledge (gnosis) above the proto-orthodox teachings, traditions, and authority of religious institutions. Gnostic cosmogony generally presents a distinction between a supreme, hidden God and a malevolent lesser divinity (sometimes associated with the God of the Hebrew Bible) who is responsible for creating the material universe. Consequently, Gnostics considered material existence flawed or evil, and held the principal element of salvation to be direct knowledge of the hidden divinity, attained via mystical or esoteric insight. Many Gnostic texts deal not in concepts of sin and repentance, but with illusion and enlightenment. (Taken from Wikipedia cause laziness.)

1. The Gnostics were wrong about Genesis being about material creation.

Genesis 1 is most likely not describing a process of material creation. In the context of ancient Mesopotamia, writers of myths were way more concerned about giving the universe order and function. In fact, function was seen as what made something real. To quote John Walton:

"I propose that people in the ancient world believed that something existed not by virtue of its material properties, but by virtue of its having a function in an ordered system. Here I do not refer to an ordered system in scientific terms, but an ordered system in human terms, that is, in relation to society and culture. In this sort of functional ontology, the sun does not exist by virtue of its material properties, or even by its function as a burning ball of gas. Rather it exists by virtue of the role that it has in its sphere of existence, particularly in the way that it functions for humankind and human society. In theory, this way of thinking could result in something being included in the "existent" category in a material way, but still considered in the "nonexistent" category in functional terms (see the illustration of the restaurant mentioned above). In a functional ontology, to bring something into existence would require giving it a function or a role in an ordered system, rather than giving it material properties. Consequently, something could be manufactured physically but still not "exist" if it has not become functional."

Ancients didn't really care about where matter came from, in the ancient near east, there's a common theme of matter already existing, specifically a watery chaos and how the gods turn that chaos into order by assigning roles. This concept can be seen in Genesis.

Woah RSD, don't you know that Genesis 1 starts with IN THE BEGGINING GOD CREATED the heavens and the earth? Woah, looks like you're FAKE NEWS.

Well, there's a consensus in most modern scholars of ancient Hebrew that Genesis 1:1 has been mistranslated, and a better translation is: When God began to create heaven and earth....

See The Five Books of Moses by Robert Altar or this paper: http://individual.utoronto.ca/holmstedt/Holmstedt_GenesisRelative_VT2008.pdf

This concept can be seeing in other creations myths of surrounding cultures. See the start of the Enuma Elish:

When in the height heaven was not named,
And the earth beneath did not yet bear a name,
And the primeval Apsu, who begat them,
And chaos, Tiamut, the mother of them both
Their waters were mingled together,
And no field was formed, no marsh was to be seen;
When of the gods none had been called into being,
And none bore a name, and no destinies were ordained;
Then were created the gods in the midst of heaven,
Lahmu and Lahamu were called into being

Or again, Epic of Atrahahish:

When the gods were man
they did forced labor, they bore drudgery.
Great indeed was the drudgery of the gods,
the forced labor was heavy, the misery too much

The verb the hebrew uses for create is 'Bara', John Walton did a comparative analysis of this verb with the way it's used in the rest of the OT, and he found out the verb never necessarily refers to material creation, in fact it's often used to create a role on function and many times it is necessarily used in that way. When we take into account that ancients were way more concerned about function than material creation, the interpretation that Genesis 1 is about assigning functions becomes probable. Yawveh was assigning order and function to the things already created by giving them order, function and purpose, which for ancients, was synonymous for giving them existence. (See John Walton the Lost World of Genesis One Chapter 3 and Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament).

So yeah, there's no DEMIURGE to create anything simply because Genesis 1:1 isn't saying Yawveh is behind material creation, he is giving order and function to the watery chaos instead. God isn't creating anything, he's assigning things their proper function within the cosmos. The water is separated from the earth, the light from the darkness. The animals, the plants and humans were part of a seven temple inauguration, which is what Genesis 1.1 is about, God ordaining his sacred temple. Again, we see parallels of in other ancient near east cultures: The Gudea Cylinders speak of a 7 day temple dedication, and Baal also completed his temple in seven days. God is giving everything order to function within his holy temple, aka the Garden of Eden.

Note: You can arrive at the conclusion that God made the universe by other theological assumptions, but the gnostic narrative is dependent on the events described in Genesis 1:1 as being material creation, without it their narratives about matter being evil doesn't make a lot a of sense.

2. Knowledge of Good and Evil is never described as an evil thing in Genesis.

Consider this. The writers of Genesis weren't stupid. Also consider the following, why would God allow an evil thing inside a sacred space where he dwells, aka the Garden of Eden? We know Eden is a sacred space because it resembles Temple Inauguration narratives of the region. Would you put cocaine in a holy altar and just leave a sign that says: DO NOT SNORT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. No, that's really stupid. Yet those that suggest that we see the Tree of Knowledge as evil are arguing exactly that. Simply put evil things do not belong in a sacred garden.

But RSD, the snake was in the garden and the snake was le evil!

Well, to not go into the complexities of what the snake described in Genesis might actually be, a simpler answer is to point out where does it say that the snake was inside the sacred garden? The assumption behind this is that the whole earth was the garden, but as had been argued on my first point, this isn't what Genesis is saying.

Speaking of things that Genesis isn't saying, where does it say that Knowledge of good and evil is le evil? Ignoring the fact that a sacred space wouldn't admit evil thing, there's no indication that God didn't want humans to attain this knowledge at some point. The rest of the OT described knowledge and wisdom as a good thing (See proverbs), most scholars also think Genesis was compiled during the Babylon exile, so again, the team that edited Genesis together was probably aware that their own traditions saw knowledge as a gift from God. The issue wasn't humans attaining this knowledge, the issue is that they got it in a time outside of God's plan.

Was God preventing humans from gaining some knowledge until a certain development an evil thing? I find this hard to argue. We apply the same principle in real life all the time. We don't expose children to certain media not because we think the media in question is intrinsically bad, but rather because they're not developed, mature enough for it. Another example, if you think promiscuity is moral, you still don't want children having sex, not because sex is intrinsically evil but rather because sex is bad for children until they develop into an age of consent. For a more modern example, knowledge of quantum physics isn't intrinsically bad, but it probably was a bad thing for humans not morally developed enough to see that maybe atomic bombs are a bad idea to attain such knowledge.

The sin was eating from the Tree of Knowledge for the wrong reasons, to become like God. A trick from the serpent. Notice that God never tells Adam or Eve that they will become like him, it's a thing the serpent says, and this pushes Eve into eating this fruit. Eve wanted this knowledge for evil reasons. Now, if you're an rad humanist who thinks humans should have the place of God, fair enough even if I find recent history (or all of human history really) to make that view very implausible, but still it refutes the point that the evil thing humans did was get knowledge of good and evil. It wasn't, and thus it goes against the Panasonicdx claim that God is evil because he didn't want humans to know about good and evil.

TLDR:
The assumption that an evil tree was planted in his sacred garden to test humans doesn't make any sense. Adam and Eve were God's representatives on earth, by trying to gain knowledge for themselves, they are breaking their covenant with God.

But this is all post-hoc christian rationalization! Yes, you're critiquing the internal logic of Christianity by arguing the God of the Bible is evil, hence its valid to also make an internal defense of it.

3. Ancient Hebrews having a flawed concept of divinity and/or morality or being simply wrong is more likely than there being a DEMIURGE.

We don't need to multiply entities beyond necessity. Even if you don't think points 1 and 2 are true, what's more likely, that ancient hebrews (tldr) didin't know what they were talking about and had a flawed moral system, or that mmm achktually, its because they were deceived by THE DEMIURGE. If for whatever reason you prefer option 2, then I will ask, what's the evidence for the demiurge existing? The Hebrew Bible? Why take that as anything other than human invention in the first place? I have my Christian reasons for accepting it as at least an insight into the divinity of God, but here I'm critiquing the internal logic of gnosticism. What's compelling about the Old Testament that makes you believe it's describing the actions of a deceitful being? Instead of just being a bunch of lies, either intentionally or not.

Virtual Cafe Awards

gwen

戈文
Reaction score
Awards
Great post
So yeah, there's no DEMIURGE to create anything simply because Genesis 1:1 isn't saying Yawveh is behind material creation, he is giving order and function to the watery chaos instead. God isn't creating anything, he's assigning things their proper function within the cosmos. The water is separated from the earth, the light from the darkness. The animals, the plants and humans were part of a seven temple inauguration, which is what Genesis 1.1 is about, God ordaining his sacred temple. Again, we see parallels of in other ancient near east cultures: The Gudea Cylinders speak of a 7 day temple dedication, and Baal also completed his temple in seven days. God is giving everything order to function within his holy temple, aka the Garden of Eden.
This comports with Genesis mention of Adam naming animals and IIRC the theme of Enuma Elish that gods made people to serve them. Formation of stable earth out of watery chaos is certainly a theme in both accounts as well (apsu / waters without form and void). I think the material and semiotic dimensions are the same, personally.
Consider this. The writers of Genesis weren't stupid. Also consider the following, why would God allow an evil thing inside a sacred space where he dwells, aka the Garden of Eden? We know Eden is a sacred space because it resembles Temple Inauguration narratives of the region. Would you put cocaine in a holy altar and just leave a sign that says: DO NOT SNORT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. No, that's really stupid. Yet those that suggest that we see the Tree of Knowledge as evil are arguing exactly that. Simply put evil things do not belong in a sacred garden.
IMO the story hints it was necessary. My current pet theory is that "the tree of knowledge in the midst of the garden" actually refers to animal life / flesh. Genesis 1:30 clearly states in the beginning (ie. according to the original order or plan) all animals ate plants. Original sin was predation / carnivory which allowed humans to develop large brains and culture in order to cure natural innocent brutality of biome, which was the true original evil present in the garden: life eating life. God's double curse in 3:16-17 refers to two consequences of human brain development, namely difficult gestation and childbirth and agricultural labor. Angel with flaming sword now separates humanity from natural world. After life eats death then we go back.
3. Ancient Hebrews having a flawed concept of divinity and/or morality or being simply wrong is more likely than there being a DEMIURGE.
I kind of think demiurge can be understood as a wrong idea of God that detracts from true spiritual power so this doesn't really change the picture for gnosticism very much as i see it.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MindControlBoxer

Cyberbully
Reaction score
Awards
The idea that the tree was evil I believe it comes from.

"Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: 17but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

God while separating everything did not separated good and evil from the tree, there was not a tree of the knowledge of good and one of evil, it was all in one tree, therefore that tree had good as it had evil within it.
The knowledge of death caused them to be mortal, the knowledge of nakedness caused them shame and fear.
Why would he do that, I don't know but tempting is on his MO. Tempting a starving person with bananas but saying you're gonna kill him if he eats it its considered torturous sadistic behaviour.

"And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever"

Gnostics think that knowledge its the basis of godhood(the man is become as one of us) for god to deny them godhood now that they are aware of it its considered a great evil in a gnostic mindset. Like if we all of the sudden some doctor decided that we won't save you from an easily treatable cancer even though I know and you know its easily treatable.

There is also the snake discussion but regardless of what it its or what its not(agent of temptation) it was on earth which was where the garden was,

"A river flowed out of Eden to water the garden, and from there it separated and became four heads. The name of one is Pishon; that is the one that encompasses all the land of Havilah, where there is gold. The gold of that land is good; there is the crystal and the onyx stone. The name of the second river is Gichon; that is the one that encompasses all the land of Cush. The name of the third river is Chidekel; that is the one that flows to the east of Ashur. And the fourth river, that is Perat."

Daniel describes standing on the banks of the Chidekel River while receiving one of his visions during the time when he was in exile in Babylonia, On earth.

Why would a sacred place not admit an evil thing?(that's called desecration and its definitely a thing) The last pope was letting priests bonk little kids, Why didn't god send a flood or locusts on the vatican then? Jerusalem doesn't have 0 rapes or 0 murders, it never did.

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."
Its never stated that man and female were good as is with everything else god created but they were at eden regardless.
"Let us make man in our image, after our likeness"

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
God while separating everything did not separated good and evil from the tree, there was not a tree of the knowledge of good and one of evil, it was all in one tree, therefore that tree had good as it had evil within it.
I think this is confusing knowledge of evil as an evil thing in itself. I see no indication of this in the text nor in real life. Are you evil because you know about evil?

The knowledge of death caused them to be mortal, the knowledge of nakedness caused them shame and fear.
Not really. Adam and Eve were created mortal. They had access to immortality through the tree of life, but they lost access to it when they were expelled out of the garden for breaking their covenant with God.

Gnostics think that knowledge its the basis of godhood(the man is become as one of us) for god to deny them godhood now that they are aware of it its considered a great evil in a gnostic mindset. Like if we all of the sudden some doctor decided that we won't save you from an easily treatable cancer even though I know and you know its easily treatable.
1. It says: as one of us. Genesis is using analogous language in here. Plus, most scholars think the 'as one of us' refers to a divine council, which included other Elohim that weren't all powerful like Yahweh. Again, it was the serpent who came up with the idea that eating from the tree would make them like God, it did but only in a trivial sense, since they attained a higher level of awareness before their due time. As for your cancer point... I don't get what you're saying, God promised Adam and Eve access to immortality as long as they kept their covenant with him (which had reasonable conditions imo). God is not even denying them knowledge, that isn't supported by the text, rather he's putting a limit on when they can attain such knowledge.

There is also the snake discussion but regardless of what it its or what its not(agent of temptation) it was on earth which was where the garden was,
We could go deeper into the snake lore, the question of why would God create the snake is irrelevant to the fact that it wasn't permitted into a sacred space. Pointing out it exists somewhere doesn't refute my point. It's a different thing to say that God cannot create beings who do evil to saying God won't admit evil beings into a sacred space. These are two different things.
Why would a sacred place not admit an evil thing?(that's called desecration and its definitely a thing) The last pope was letting priests bonk little kids, Why didn't god send a flood or locusts on the vatican then? Jerusalem doesn't have 0 rapes or 0 murders, it never did.
Again, if you go with the Genesis narrative, this was the place where God was literally dwelling in. The pope isn't sacred, and God's non-intervention is a different issue altogether. Perhaps it's fair to say that God would let the snake come to his sacred garden, that's just not something indicated by the text of Genesis. What's in contention here is, does Genesis think the Tree of Knowledge is evil? No, wherever you see Genesis: 1. It makes no sense for a.God himself to create an evil thing b.in the center of his holy temple and 2. It makes no sense for the writers of Genesis to put something evil in the place where God dwelt.
Its never stated that man and female were good as is with everything else god created but they were at eden regardless

And God created the human in his image, 27
in the image of God He created him,
male and female He created them.

And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply 28 and fill the earth and conquer it, and hold sway over the fish of the sea and the fowl of the heavens and every beast that crawls upon the earth." And God said, "Look, I have given you every seed-bearing plant 29 on the face of all the earth and every tree that has fruit bearing seed, yours they will be for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and to all 30 the fowl of the heavens and to all that crawls on the earth, which has the breath of life within it, the green plants for food." And so it was. And God saw all that He had done, and, look, it was very good. And it 31 was evening and it was morning, the sixth day.

Anyways, I don't think the text indicates humans were perfect or whatever, being holy wasn't a prerequisite to be in the garden, just being good in God's eyes. There's no reason why God would place something he thinks is evil in his temple. Genesis isn't saying humans are evil (Or the tree of knowledge!)

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
To clarify, if you want you can always give a gnostic reading to Genesis, I just think those sort of views are presuppositions that aren't supported by the text in itself. Similarly to how conservatives think 'make man in our image' is a reference to the trinity. You can interpret it like that, but that's not what the text is referring too, instead it's much likelier the writers of Genesis had in mind a divine council of elohim when they used the plural form. Gnostic takes on Genesis have the same issues.

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I think the material and semiotic dimensions are the same, personally.
This is interesting! Do you have anywhere I can read more about this? Or is it really just a personal take? I'm not an expert on the issue myself, but from what I've read the semites just didn't care about matter in the way we do.
My current pet theory is that "the tree of knowledge in the midst of the garden" actually refers to animal life / flesh. Genesis 1:30 clearly states in the beginning (ie. according to the original order or plan) all animals ate plants.
This is a good point! I think it's more complicated cause:

And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply 28 and fill the earth and conquer it, and hold sway over the fish of the sea and the fowl of the heavens and every beast that crawls upon the earth." And God said, "Look, I have given you every seed-bearing plant 29 on the face of all the earth and every tree that has fruit bearing seed, yours they will be for food...

Some translations use subdue instead of conquer, but I think what's clear is that there's a level of violence involved in this command. Some scholars have pointed out Genesis 28 is using military language, the same verb the Bible uses for the military conquest in Judges (iirc). So it implies nature had already an aspect of violence and chaos in it that needed to be dominated.

There's also the nuance of the word good. Genesis uses it similarly to how we use it in English, not meaning perfect but well-enough. 'My car is good' doesn't mean my car is perfect or incorruptible, Genesis 25:8 uses to same word for good to mean a good death, yet clearly death is not a perfect thing (especially since the Genesis narrative says it came from the result of sin!) So my contention is that the use of the word 'good' in Genesis 1 is an indication of the things God made being sinless or perfect... As for Veganism, there's this paper I've found that argues against that being a thing in the garden, and I agree with it lol

I realize it's a whole book in length, but I've only read section 3 lol.

Regardless, I think your theory is very interesting, though I see it more of a psychological interpretation of the text rather than an exegetical one,
I kind of think demiurge can be understood as a wrong idea of God that detracts from true spiritual power so this doesn't really change the picture for gnosticism very much as i see it.
Well, it's complicated. The gnostics had a very different view from what we would consider God. Jesus himself, although divine in gnostic ideas, wasn't God in the sense that Christians see him.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

MindControlBoxer

Cyberbully
Reaction score
Awards
I think this is confusing knowledge of evil as an evil thing in itself. I see no indication of this in the text nor in real life. Are you evil because you know about evil?
Not necessarily but knowing evil its a requirement to do evil, If a wolf eats a innocent abandoned baby does that make the wolf evil?

Knowing how to do good doesn't also makes you do good, but it is a requirement, technically every mugabe, hitler or gengis khan wanted to do "good" for their people, did they know how?

By denying them knowledge of evil he also denied the knowledge of the good and for gnostics(and buddhists and many other religions) knowledge its godhood.

"and a tree to be desired to make one wise,"

And by denying them knowledge god denied them godhood and The serpent knew that.
"for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

This will inevitably lead into the serpent discussion but as context, gnostics believe that the god of the new and the old testament are different ones and that the serpent was sent by the god of the new testament to make humans be able to choose between following the good or following evil with the knowledge they obtained.

Not really. Adam and Eve were created mortal. They had access to immortality through the tree of life, but they lost access to it when they were expelled out of the garden for breaking their covenant with God.
That is my bad, what I meant to say is the tree of good and evil lead to them to fear death.

1. It says: as one of us. Genesis is using analogous language in here. Plus, most scholars think the 'as one of us' refers to a divine council, which included other Elohim that weren't all powerful like Yahweh. Again, it was the serpent who came up with the idea that eating from the tree would make them like God, it did but only in a trivial sense, since they attained a higher level of awareness before their due time
There is no way of knowing if there was a due time or if the man would be taking care of the garden indefinitely as is, They didn't even know what being naked was.

. As for your cancer point... I don't get what you're saying, God promised Adam and Eve access to immortality as long as they kept their covenant with him (which had reasonable conditions imo). God is not even denying them knowledge, that isn't supported by the text, rather he's putting a limit on when they can attain such knowledge.
"for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

When its the day they'll die.

We could go deeper into the snake lore, the question of why would God create the snake is irrelevant to the fact that it wasn't permitted into a sacred space. Pointing out it exists somewhere doesn't refute my point. It's a different thing to say that God cannot create beings who do evil to saying God won't admit evil beings into a sacred space. These are two different things.
Again, if you go with the Genesis narrative, this was the place where God was literally dwelling in. The pope isn't sacred, and God's non-intervention is a different issue altogether. Perhaps it's fair to say that God would let the snake come to his sacred garden, that's just not something indicated by the text of Genesis.

The garden was on earth, god dwelled in the heavens.
The woman was in the garden and the snake was talking to the woman, unless the woman was somewhere else?

What's in contention here is, does Genesis think the Tree of Knowledge is evil? No, wherever you see Genesis: 1. It makes no sense for a.God himself to create an evil thing b.in the center of his holy temple and 2. It makes no sense for the writers of Genesis to put something evil in the place where God dwelt.
Anyways, I don't think the text indicates humans were perfect or whatever, being holy wasn't a prerequisite to be in the garden, just being good in God's eyes. There's no reason why God would place something he thinks is evil in his temple.
The garden was on earth, god dwelled in the heavens.
The tree is of good and evil, Good and evil are so intrinsically connected that not even god could separate the tree into 2.

Every thing he created was seen as very good after its creation, The man and woman only were seen as very good AFTER he blessed them not after he created them.
Genesis isn't saying humans are evil (Or the tree of knowledge!)
That is what gnostics believe as well. They just believe that knowledge its good and the way to apply it its what constitutes as good and evil, you gave me atomic bombs I can give you nuclear energy, two sides of a coin.

The old testament, God knows good and evil, he has a guy that's supposed to tempt people to evil and he is a self assumed jealous god, he does not want other to reach godhood, the new testament god, the one that was humanized by jesus tried to drive humanity to the side of good(and was he himself tempted by satan) and gave them knowledge encouraging them to do good instead of evil, you could be a good samaritan or a unforgiving servant.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
First off, really good thread. Kudos :agpepsi:
Woah RSD, don't you know that Genesis 1 starts with IN THE BEGGINING GOD CREATED the heavens and the earth? Woah, looks like you're FAKE NEWS.

Well, there's a consensus in most modern scholars of ancient Hebrew that Genesis 1:1 has been mistranslated, and a better translation is: When God began to create heaven and earth....
What's the actual distinction between "In the beginning..." and "When God began to create heaven and earth"? It doesn't state anything about material existence before he created. It makes an affirmation that there's a sense of beginning. The ambiguity in the KJV bible is the "beginning" of what. You can begin a run, which is a journey. You can have the beginnings of a project which is aiming to accomplish an idea. You can have the beginning of golf, which is a physical position as a start. The word beginning has a lot of contextual meanings. It's like the word "My" and it's various contextual meanings. I'm struggling to think of any concepts of beginning that don't tie themselves to space and time. Even despite that, language isn't great. You can use "beginnings" in an unusual way further. The beginning of a Torus. One might argue that's the origin point of the Torus, another might argue it's a point on the torus, another might argue it's a point within the torus, another might argue it's the creation of the torus... or the consumption of one(like a doughnuts beginning in my mouth).

When translators try to clean stuff up like this and assert what beginning it is... isn't that a corruption of the text?
2. Knowledge of Good and Evil is never described as an evil thing in Genesis.
The knowledge itself, isn't described as evil. It's described by the serpent, a deceiver, and as he deceives, I will take his description and deception and discard it. God warns of death if you eat from the tree, and says "thou shalt". Where else is "thou shalt" invoked regarding good and evil? The 10 commandments, Exodus 20:2 onwards. Do you think disobeying "thou shalt" isn't an evil? If that is the case, then disobeying any of the 10 commandments isn't an evil. By extension for Christians, The golden rule is "The law and prophets", so if you're willing to disobey "thou shalt" of a commandment, as that is the law, you're also willing to disobey it in the Golden Rule, and by disobeying, commit evil.

This is a line of logic making the basic assertion that disobeying "thou shalt" is the evil.

An interesting point, the Bible says choices are absent of Good and Evil, by how Adam makes choices on the names of the animals of the world, BEFORE consuming the fruit. So ideas of Sin, Good and Evil are qualities of a choice, but choice isn't inherently sinful, good or evil. This raises an interesting question of how you make choices absent of good and evil, as you need a way of determining good and evil to determine values upon which to make choices. Some virtue to hold holy in your choices.

Additionally, there are interesting more eastern takes on Good and Evil, that the knowledge of Good and Evil is evil, as it's an idol that distracts from faith in God. God who is beyond Good and Evil, as he is beyond the knowledge of Good and Evil, and his demands defy our knowledge of Good and Evil(Job's test of faith, Abraham's Sacrifice). The learning of Good and Evil introduces a belief in a dualism. This belief in a Dualism, creates a belief in two, and not a belief in one. This is similar to those who believe in the Trinity, but believe it as 3 entities, and not one God(God the Father, God the Holy Spirit, God the Son).
Unreasonable assertion, there is a way to analyse this. Consider Pascal's Wager extended to EVERY METAPHYSICAL SYSTEM POSSIBLE. Including the Christian God, the inverse of the Christian God, pantheons of Norse or Greek Gods or even the idea of atoms in the void. You also have to account for every metaphysical system that hasn't been created yet. You have an infinite number of metaphysical systems. As a result, the chance that the ancient hebrews were right about their concept of divinity or morality is infinitesimal. Even when you expand it to varieties on their ideas, it remains infinitesimal. This infinitesimal nature applies equally to defining what the demiurge is, and which metaphysical realities are Demiurge. Due to both of their relationships with infinity, this is an assertion you're not able to substantiate on anything more than blind faith.

Reasoning probabilities about metaphysics does a disservice to all the metaphysical systems you're discussing, and are sham apologetics.
If for whatever reason you prefer option 2, then I will ask, what's the evidence for the demiurge existing? The Hebrew Bible? Why take that as anything other than human invention in the first place?
You're making unreasonable ask. You're calling for evidence about the demiurge, but you can't substantiate any evidence of God. Why take it that way? Well of course it's a human invention. The churches never denied that. It's the "written word of God, that's divinely inspired". There's plenty of ambiguity in that to fit in your faith and human inventiveness.

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
When translators try to clean stuff up like this and assert what beginning it is... isn't that a corruption of the text?
The assumption that most Christians have is that Genesis implies ex-nihilo creation. I agree this isn't implied by the text, scholars try to correct these misconceptions
he knowledge itself, isn't described as evil. It's described by the serpent, a deceiver, and as he deceives, I will take his description and deception and discard it. God warns of death if you eat from the tree, and says "thou shalt". Where else is "thou shalt" invoked regarding good and evil? The 10 commandments, Exodus 20:2 onwards. Do you think disobeying "thou shalt" isn't an evil? If that is the case, then disobeying any of the 10 commandments isn't an evil. By extension for Christians, The golden rule is "The law and prophets", so if you're willing to disobey "thou shalt" of a commandment, as that is the law, you're also willing to disobey it in the Golden Rule, and by disobeying, commit evil.
I think you're misunderstanding me. I don't think Genesis is saying Adam and Eve didn't do anything evil, it certainly says the did: They disobeyed God and broke their sacred covenant with him. However, my response was at the OP that what was evil was attaining knowledge of good and evil. When that isn't the case. A lot of what you're saying here is pretty interesting, but I feel like you're reading a lot of assumptions into what I'm saying. I don't why you're bringing Christianity into the mix, I didn't bring up Jesus or the NT interpretation of Genesis into my refutation, I'm doing it for a secular standpoint. Nothing I said seems to me to be incompatible with a secular reading of Genesis, hence why I cited secular sources.

Additionally, there are interesting more eastern takes on Good and Evil, that the knowledge of Good and Evil is evil, as it's an idol that distracts from faith in God. God who is beyond Good and Evil, as he is beyond the knowledge of Good and Evil, and his demands defy our knowledge of Good and Evil(Job's test of faith, Abraham's Sacrifice). The learning of Good and Evil introduces a belief in a dualism. This belief in a Dualism, creates a belief in two, and not a belief in one. This is similar to those who believe in the Trinity, but believe it as 3 entities, and not one God(God the Father, God the Holy Spirit, God the Son).
Very interesting! I'm not sure I agree but this is a thought-out view. But I'm confused about why you're bringing this up. Is this a response to what I said? Or am I just miss-reading your intentions haha.
Unreasonable assertion, there is a way to analyse this. Consider Pascal's Wager extended to EVERY METAPHYSICAL SYSTEM POSSIBLE. Including the Christian God, the inverse of the Christian God, pantheons of Norse or Greek Gods or even the idea of atoms in the void. You also have to account for every metaphysical system that hasn't been created yet. You have an infinite number of metaphysical systems. As a result, the chance that the ancient hebrews were right about their concept of divinity or morality is infinitesimal. Even when you expand it to varieties on their ideas, it remains infinitesimal. This infinitesimal nature applies equally to defining what the demiurge is, and which metaphysical realities are Demiurge. Due to both of their relationships with infinity, this is an assertion you're not able to substantiate on anything more than blind faith.
I'm seriously confused by this point. My argument was:

1. As per Occam's razor, we don't multiply entities without necessity.
2. The assumption that the writers of Genesis were flat out wrong is a more parsimonious explanation for Yahweh being described as doing evil actions in the Bible (If we grant this gnostic assumption) than there being another evil entity that deceived the Hebrew writers (that requires a lot of gnostic metaphysical baggage to even exist in the first place!)
2.a. Provided there's no evidence for the Demiurge outside of the Old Testament.
3.It follows it's more probable there is no Demiurge.

You seem to suggest I'm making a Christian apologetic. I am not. My main point is that the gnostic view of Genesis is flat out wrong from what we know from secular scholarship about Genesis.

this is an assertion you're not able to substantiate on anything more than blind faith.
This is what I'm confused about. Yes, I agree! The demiurge has no more evidence for it than blind faith (if that's what you're saying) But this was my point all along.

Reasoning probabilities about metaphysics does a disservice to all the metaphysical systems you're discussing, and are sham apologetics.
I'm not doing apologetics. Saying gnostics are wrong about Genesis doesn't raise the probability of Christianity being true in any relevant way.
You're calling for evidence about the demiurge, but you can't substantiate any evidence of God
Because I'm not trying to substantiate the existence of God in this thread. Again, my post was an attack to the internal logic of gnosticism from secular terms. You can be an atheist/agnostic and ask.

1.What's the evidence for the demiurge.
2.You can't take the OT as evidence because it refutes Gnosticism (as per critiquing Gnosticism internally, ie, they're using Genesis as an example of the demiurge in action).

These are things any secular person can ask of gnostics. It would be weird for me to call the Hebrew Bible a human invention in the first place if I was trying to make a christian apologetic no?

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
The assumption that most Christians have is that Genesis implies ex-nihilo creation. I agree this isn't implied by the text, scholars try to correct these misconceptions
Should it be the scholars correcting these, or should it be the priests reading it with a better interpretation? Books that get translated for literal accuracy often destroy a lot of the poetic nature of the original work- you see this in literally accurate poems. I believe it's fair to lump the Bible in with poetic texts, as a lot of its works are of a poetic form either shorter lyrical forms, or longer narrative forms(pslams, proverbs...). Most translations miss the structure and power of words and power of ambiguity- and believe these should be polyfilled with their interpretations.
I'm not saying interpretations are bad, but I'm saying using interpretations to change the word of God is a corruption. A lot of what is done is better represented in study/commentary bibles that have marginalia. It's worth considering that the Bible is already corrupted... the Muslims certainly believe this.
think you're misunderstanding me. I don't think Genesis is saying Adam and Eve didn't do anything evil, it certainly says the did: They disobeyed God and broke their sacred covenant with him. However, my response was at the OP that what was evil was attaining knowledge of good and evil.
Knowledge of good and evil isn't stated to be evil. yes. It's even necessary for God to assert his creation is good earlier In Genesis 1. The attaining of it breaks a thou shalt, which is the evil. I believe I agree with you. I was just exploring the topic more for the sake of curiosity. I will also spark again, the writer has knowledge of Good and Evil, so how can you say there is Good and Evil, perhaps Moses, divinely inspired, asserts God as good? Additionally, knowledge isn't a proof of existence? Knowledge of 1+1=2, doesn't make it exist in any physical sense of the word exist.
I don't why you're bringing Christianity into the mix
Was only extending that violating "thou shalt", is still an evil under Christianity, for completeness. It's a weakly made argument, as "The laws and prophets" doesn't use thou shalt. I'm sure there's an instance of "thou shalt" where this extends forward from the Old Testament, so you can draw the line of "Thou Shalt" as a line to Christian views over the attaining of the knowledge of good and evil, rather than just over to the Jews.
2. The assumption that the writers of Genesis were flat out wrong is a more parsimonious explanation for Yahweh being described as doing evil actions in the Bible (If we grant this gnostic assumption) than there being another evil entity that deceived the Hebrew writers (that requires a lot of gnostic metaphysical baggage to even exist in the first place!)
The assumption that the writers of Genesis were flat out wrong is a more parsimonious explanation for Yahweh being described as doing evil actions in the Bible
This requires metaphysical knowledge of Yahweh. You'd also have to substantiate that Yahweh is doing evil actions. Being wrong or right about something physical, can be verified, can be reasoned about with probability, and can be given to Occam's razor. Treating with God under Occam's razor, where you can't assert wrong or right about it, how can you reason about it with Occam's razor?
I don't deny that scripture could be wrong, or erroneous(in fact a justification against the inclusion of apocryphal books IS the errors and inconsistencies). What I won't do, is compare that as a probability to some other metaphysic.
than there being another evil entity that deceived the Hebrew writers (that requires a lot of gnostic metaphysical baggage to even exist in the first place!)
This requires metaphysical knowledge of the Demiurge. You're trading off one metaphysical knowledge as more probable than the other. Where does this probability draw from? You also assert "Occam's razor as the more likely outcome". More likely how? Simplest outcome how? If you're looking for the simplest in all senses, there is no metaphysics, and we are atoms in the void, meaning reasonings about the Demiurge and the Hebrew writers are both wrong.

Occam's razor is a hammer to the delicate glass palaces of all metaphysics, and is an incorrect tool for learning about it.
This is what I'm confused about. Yes, I agree! The demiurge has no more evidence for it than blind faith (if that's what you're saying) But this was my point all along.
In the same way, God.
1.What's the evidence for the demiurge.
2.You can't take the OT as evidence because it refutes Gnosticism (as per critiquing Gnosticism internally, ie, they're using Genesis as an example of the demiurge in action).
If you're looking for evidence, you're coming out as empty-handed as there is for God. As for arguments for it, they exist, but I'm not very versed in Gnosticism. Does the Old Testament actually refute Gnosticism? Is the Old testament, evidence of God? Or is it an argument for God?

I think my main confusion here, is what precisely do you mean by evidence?
These are things any secular person can ask of gnostics. It would be weird for me to call the Hebrew Bible a human invention in the first place if I was trying to make a christian apologetic no?
Only the deluded deny it is a human invention. The point about Christian apologetics seeps in over the definition of Divinely inspired. I use the word invention, as it is a creation with a use, created by Man- that use? Teaching about God. It's easy to say invention has an agenda about it, or asserts complete creation to the inventor, but think about it and ask if invention actually carries those two burdens. It's like saying the director of a movie created it, ignoring the massive credits roll.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Voicedrew

Take the monarchy pill anon
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
voicedrew.xyz
I must confess: I am not super knowledgeable about the Gnostic heresy beyond the basics of secret knowledge and the material world being evil, and the goal of Christianity being to abandon the material world entirely.

I have heard Gnosticism been connected to Marxism and modern 'woke culture', which is a pretty interesting connection to make. Not sure what to make of it exactly, but that's an idea I would definitely like to explore further.

Virtual Cafe Awards

gwen

戈文
Reaction score
Awards
This is interesting! Do you have anywhere I can read more about this? Or is it really just a personal take? I'm not an expert on the issue myself, but from what I've read the semites just didn't care about matter in the way we do.

This is a good point! I think it's more complicated cause:

And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply 28 and fill the earth and conquer it, and hold sway over the fish of the sea and the fowl of the heavens and every beast that crawls upon the earth." And God said, "Look, I have given you every seed-bearing plant 29 on the face of all the earth and every tree that has fruit bearing seed, yours they will be for food...
No, it's just a personal take really, i love animals and it upsets me how people kill them without thinking about it so i try and make everything about that. Anyway the translation notes are very interesting, i fully agree that the original form of nature needs correction towards final form of nature, but i don't know Hebrew at all. I wonder if you know any good Hebrew/English(/Greek even) parallel text editions of the Old Testament by chance? Using machine translation all the time give me bit of headache :agcry:

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
No, it's just a personal take really, i love animals and it upsets me how people kill them without thinking about it so i try and make everything about that. Anyway the translation notes are very interesting, i fully agree that the original form of nature needs correction towards final form of nature, but i don't know Hebrew at all. I wonder if you know any good Hebrew/English(/Greek even) parallel text editions of the Old Testament by chance? Using machine translation all the time give me bit of headache :agcry:
Priests are usually supposed to learn a bit about the original languages. Hebrew and Greek for Old Testament, Latin for the New Testament. This is because each translation necessarily introduces corruption to the text, unless you're willing to say the translation is divinely inspired.
Malcolm has some really cozy discussions on different Bibles. Off topic, but I'll share it anyway

Virtual Cafe Awards