Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
post another compilation of what people say about it when theres more replies (is the thread usually this dead/shit?) i want to know how this is received by a wider audience
I don't think I'll be going back to the &amp lit threads after last issues shitstorm lmaooo

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
I don't think I'll be going back to the &amp lit threads after last issues shitstorm lmaooo
i mean, if you write for it, i dont see why you dont check out criticism of what you wrote, even if said criticism is mind-numbingly retarded

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
i mean, if you write for it, i dont see why you dont check out criticism of what you wrote, even if said criticism is mind-numbingly retarded
Thoughtful feedback comes from friends tbh. But maybe its not such a bad idea to see the lit thread...

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Vitnira

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
What I want is truth, a vision that enchants the world. What I was is to see daffodils amongst ordered trees, to have faith and hope that every life has meaning and purpose, not merely be sincere about it! That the stars have names and that they may be our friends. That we'll all find a partner as lovely as a mermaid, and for those who don't, their life will be so holy and wonderful they won't miss a mermaid. Can you go outside and imagine the sky being painted with colors? If so, all hope might not be lost. And if the horizon has a dark mist around it—always there will be times like that—take a deep breath and feel the air rushing through your lungs, you will find that life won't abandon you, and even those who've died have a story waiting to be told.

Beautiful use of words. You paying close attention to literature over your lifetime shows. Bravo.

Virtual Cafe Awards

nsequeira119

DNW Expert
Reaction score
Awards
Website
tinyurl.com
Sunset Shimmer is the sun of my life, her smiles glimmers my everyday, her warmth validates my Christianity. Let me explain. All media is derivative from literature, and great literature is sustained by the Christ archetype. Equestria Girls triumphs over any other generic magical girl anime trash because it stands on the pillars of the Western canon: Sunset Shimmer is the supreme Christ figure.

9PRM9a6Yw6ZVZjVYgkwqj1a76oo2Fw55QC_-9V5uaVHzSfRM5aFukXjbQXUdo4xHZ0XvwcI4q-GI49lvcJKew2WK2q7eZbIe1oisXh5bGY_v7a1nIlNnuKBkGldKKeYKLBMLQ5i5vS1BqxsbnT4HJ4I

You will ask, what's a Christ Figure? In his paper, The Christ Figure in Contemporary Literature, Theologian Donald L. Deffner illuminates this sacred concept: The terms "Christ-figure," or "Christimage," or "Christ-symbol" with respect to literature are commonly understood to designate a motif, or, more specifically, a person whereby something analogous to our blessed Lord's personality and work is played out...

Yet, there's debate around what a correct representation of Christlikeness is. Does this leitmotif symbolize Christ within a character, or rather does it embodies the imago dei in a character? The old conflict of iconoclasm vs iconography. To paraphrase one of my favorite anime heroines, Theodora Augusta, a most holy saint who defended miaphysitism, Christ had one nature, therefore great literature must uphold the embodiment of the sacred nature of the Lord.

Christ's divine nature must bathe our literary imagination: For words become incarnate once we imagine them, and the Lord gave us a model for the incarnation of the supreme word, the Logos... We hastily find out that Christ cannot be symbolized directly into characters in fiction, this endeavor is presumptuous at best and homosexual at worst. Nay, inside every human there is a depravity that sharply cuts a line against the collective dwelling of our pneumatological divinity; this is the paradox that great literature must reckon with.

For no human is Christ, yet every human has the Holy Spirit within them. A Christ figure must beget Christlike virtues, but he cannot ever become like Christ, instead his virtues must be a product of divine grace.

The conclusion is clear. A Christ figure can't fathom to imitate Christ qua his divine nature, but rather they meditate in the Adam figure: Adam must deal with the sword that cuts against his heart, the war that wages against his flesh, the Holy Spirit against his sinful depravity. This is our collective passion story, humanity's cross to bear.

For example, Frodo Baggings from the Shire is a successful Adam figure: Frodo carries the weight of the Ring like Christ carried the sins of mankind; Frodo walks his via dolorosa to Mt. Doom, and the destruction of the rings is not of his own effort, rather it's an act of divine providence and grace, sustained by the friendship of Sam. Alyosha from K. Brothers is another example, he is victorious through his Christian chains that compel him to forgive and love his family, yet this impulse is only brought through Father Zosima and divine grace. Paradoxically, the Adam figure is the only sensible option to convey a Christ figure. In this spirit, Sunset Shimmer is one of the greatest Christ figures ever.

The Christ figure that most resembles Sunset Shimmer is father Sebastian Rodrigues, from Shusaku Endou's light novel, Chinmoku. Endou's masterpiece narrates the days of a Japanese inquisition against the Church as brutal as the days of Nero, and under this hellscape is when Rodrigues decides to travel and travail to Japan to spread the message of the Cross. Yet, what aches Rodrigues the most is the silence of God, his only comfort being the screams of the kakure kirishitans martyred for their faith. Rodrigues' own martyrdom doesn't come in the ecstasy of a holy execution, but rather in trampling over the figure of Christ. It is only through the process of humiliating and self-sacrificial love that, against all silence, Rodrigues is finally able to hear the voice of God and get a Japanese girlfriend.

This scene was powerfully portrayed in the live-action adaptation by Martin Scorcesse:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOX8-c-_uVY

Played by Andrew Garfield, who also played Spiderman in Amazing Spiderman... Spiderman, also another well-known Christ Figure. Furthermore, Martin Scorcesse confirmed in an interview that Silence (2016) is, in fact, part of the Spiderverse and the MCU. Proving once and for all that a Christ Figure can also be a superhero, just like Spiderman.

I suppose you could have a point there. I don't watch My Little Pony or follow the teachings of the Christian faith, so I don't know which character is designed to represent what. It very well could be that she's meant to be Jesus- many fictional characters are subliminally intended to serve as a Jesus metaphor, John Connor from the Terminator franchise being a good example. I find doing this to be sort of a hack move, considering that Jesus is an extremely popular character already and good writers can invent new characters with unique attributes.

Being a secular humanist, I don't find Jesus very compelling, so even if this pony character you're referring to were intended to be a Christ stand-in, I don't think I would care any. My role models are all human beings, not con men who claimed to be the son of God- Julius Caesar, Augustus Caesar, Ovid, Virgil, and the bold Centurions who kept the peace during the span of the Roman Empire, one of the greatest and most well-run civilizations the world has ever known. My disdain towards Jesus comes down mainly to how his plagiarized "wisdom" initiated the collapse of said empire- stirring up civic unrest and decay among the general populace, followed by nearly 1000 years of cultural stagnation during which literacy rates plummeted and everyone believed in Jesus' divinity, followed by a period of rebirth which only happened because people started reading Roman books again. Generally, I don't support or endorse domestic terrorists who initiate the downfall of secular nations and initiate theocracies. Being a secular humanist, I support secular nations, like Rome, and prefer real books like the Aeneid over pandering slop like the New Testament. I hold a great deal of respect and admiration towards the Romans. Their achievements for humanity, such as the aqueduct, make them real heroes in my eyes.

Anyway, the character you're referencing could very well be a Jesus allegory, but I don't see why it would really matter considering what a lame character Jesus is compared to a character like Romulus, who started a country instead of whining and complaining about a country. Then again, I don't know what anyone sees in the My Little Pony franchise, either, so I suppose I'll leave the research on the subject to experts such as yourself.

Virtual Cafe Awards